Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2009, 09:30   #61
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
as soon as the media gets over its drunken giddiness i do believe we will get down to business as usual. and yes i also thought it was NOT about race and color but that has been about all i hear. i will admit that mr. obama is indeed a good speaker but i do not equate him to lincoln or roosevelt as the press would lead me to believe. whether or not he is the right man for the job is yet to be seen. i am impressed with obama so far but not yet convinced.
Old 21-01-2009, 10:01   #62

Boat: Vandestadt ketch 42
Perception is everything and if the generally positive welcome to his inauguration can be harnessed, channelled and continued…both in the USA and around the world…then a more positive future can be expected.

He has successfully ignited an interest in politics and social matters within the youth around the world and if no further benefit ensues; then for that fact alone, he will have been a success. Sometime fate finds an individual for the challenges of a moment. The first African American, Hawaiian born President, with Hussein as his middle name, an African father, Indonesian stepfather, an influential grandmother with pragmatic ideals and a career to date which he created rather than inherited.

Therefore I wish him well, with a quiet confidence that the next four to eight years will, perception wise, be considered as an improvement over the last.

Regards

Alan
Old 21-01-2009, 11:07   #63
Armchair Bucketeer

The reason he sounds so genuine is that he truly believes what he is saying. when he says it.

Unfortunately you guys are going through what is called on this side of the world "A Tony Blair" moment. You've got 8 years of crapola to later regret believing in to look forward to..........the only thing Obama hasn't also promised yet is walking on water - he should speak to Tony about that one, it's how Tony believes he travels to America
Old 21-01-2009, 11:26   #64

Boat: Voyage 470 "SeaPaws II"
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
You've got 8 years of crapola to later regret believing in to look forward to........
David Old Chap....he may not be there but for 4 years... the U.S. President's term is for 4 and a max of 8 if re-elected. The President can only serve 2 terms of 4 years. If there is any improvement in the economy and general shape of the United States, my guess he would be re-elected. The Republican party has quite a job to get a candidate and improve its (the party) image before they could beat Obama and the Democratic party in the next election, but that is 4 years away.
Old 21-01-2009, 11:45   #65

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
David Old Chap

What this country needs is a person like the "Iron Lady" Margaret Thatcher.
The way I see it B Hussien Obama will not be able to cut the mustard.
Old 21-01-2009, 12:11   #66

Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse
We need another Ronald Reagan.
Old 21-01-2009, 13:18   #67

Boat: Panda/Baba 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by amytom View Post
Meh. Obama is just a smarter version of Reagan. Cut direct taxes, increase spending, fund through borrowing. Only difference is that the spending goes to infrastructure projects instead of aircraft carriers. Looks like borrowing is simply how modern democracies raise taxes.

It is nice to see foreigners waving American flags that are NOT on fire, for a change.

I'm hopeful, but under no impression that we're in for anything other than a long slog. Based on the polls, it looks like most people have realistic expectations, despite what pundits howl.

I also really do hope that the Republicans can rebuild into something respectable. This anti-intellectual "you betcha" crap has got to go. If Obama is our Blair (who was in turn UK's Clinton), then where is our Cameron?
Old 21-01-2009, 13:40   #68

Boat: Norseman 447
Dont see how he can be any worse than the last guy who to use a nautical term seemed a bit Clewless
Old 21-01-2009, 13:44   #69

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Quote:
Ouch, I would respectfully suggest that is the last type of person you (or the rest of the world for that matter) need.

Hey, let's hear it for the gipper. Yeah, right...
Old 21-01-2009, 13:59   #70
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
This is the most thinly veiled, hypocritical and laughable thread ever.
Old 21-01-2009, 14:03   #71

Bill...I am content to leave this thread amiable at let others enjoy their day. Just want you to know that you do have some support here so don't feel all alone. At least 2009 will bring a Superbowl trophy to Pittsburg!

Old 21-01-2009, 14:08   #72

Boat: Tasman elite Cat
Send a message via ICQ to Steve Thompson Send a message via AIM to Steve Thompson
While watching the inauguration on tv it seems that your new president has given hope of a turnaround in America's econamy. I really hope this happens because of the flow-on effect to our econamy here in Aus.
If all else fails bring your boats and whatever money you can scrounge together and see what Aus has to offer
Old 21-01-2009, 14:40   #73
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrap View Post

I only mention the daily hatred rants because it is safe to do so because it is after midnight in Singapore and our mod, Ex-Calif, is either asleep dreaming of sailboats (boat reference) or at one of the sleazy bars in Orchard Towers sinking (boat reference) into a drunken abyss

I am too predictable and have to stop:

a) sleeping
b) drinking
c) hanging out in bars
d) spending so much time on CF
e) all of the above

PS - Where is this Orchard Towers you speak of? -

Speaking of bars, it is nice that there is this groundswell of hope throughout the world and that when I visit bars as an American overseas I am congratulated rather than vilified for our president. I will enjoy that for now and hope that our new helmsman shoots the correct stars and manages to steer out of the storm we have been in for so long. Like all tall ship captains he needs lots of help.
Old 21-01-2009, 14:42   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
From the Sydney Morning Herald:

Is that like a public holiday? No work but Beer, BBQ and a bit of dancing?

Sounds like someone Australians would like
Technically not, but there was quite a lot of celebrating in the U.S. I took the morning off of work, then had a couple glasses of celebratory wine at dinner.

Yesterday: the end of an error.

--
Looking for Freedom
Old 21-01-2009, 15:51   #75

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusDreaming View Post
I agree he seems to be the right man, it is a shame he inherited a sh*t storm. He has his work cut out for him!!!!!!!
This is almost true...As Obama said, it will take all of us to solve this problem. I feel his job will be to unite us as a nation and work our way through this mess we are in. Not only in our country but to help other countries also which Barak has touched on.
It warms my heart greatly to hear other cruisers from other countries congratulate us in this thread. Thank you for not blaming the US citizens for the trouble around the world.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Closed Thread