Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2009, 04:23   #46
Marine Service Provider

Boat: O'day 30 "Waverider III"
Send a message via Skype™ to waverider
Well I heard he was going to get rid of Guantanamo Bay Prisson. Lets hope that the USA and Cuba can become friends again. As many of us Canadians know, Cubans are very good people with big hearts and a beautiful country to visit. It would be nice if the doors open back up for Americans and Cuba can become a new and great Cruising Destination.

As well maybe he will get rid of the new passport regulations for Canadians. Its time to open the boarder back up and enjoy the freedom that we all had visiting each others countries with out passports.

Cheers to new times and great winds,
Old 21-01-2009, 04:39   #47

Boat: Morgan 44 - Alert
If we were free to go to Cuba, I'm afraid we would populate the coastline with condos, hotels and t-shirt shops.

https://lat43north.blogspot.com
Old 21-01-2009, 05:00   #48

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36
In the finest sailing tradition .... I am pleased to see a new,youthfull, charismatic , Captain at the helm. It is the Pirates and plunderers in Congress that worry me.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
Old 21-01-2009, 05:13   #49

Boat: 52' Irwin Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbsailing View Post
If we were free to go to Cuba, I'm afraid we would populate the coastline with condos, hotels and t-shirt shops.
Every country in the world except the U.S. does business/tourism with Cuba, so dispite what you read in the U.S. press, the coasts of the main tourist areas have exactly that. It's time we got back to the days of the Tampa and/or Key West Hemmingway Marina regattas, and stop pandering to the Miami anti-Castro crowd. Cuba is the largest island in the Carribean and we "free" Americans should be able to visit it without fear of prosecution and confiscation of our vessels by those proporting to "protect" us. There is a couple in Key West that paid dearly for just trying to arrange a regatta there a couple of years back.
Old 21-01-2009, 05:23   #50

Boat: Lagoon 37
I agree he seems to be the right man, it is a shame he inherited a sh*t storm. He has his work cut out for him!!!!!!!
https://www.sailblogs.com/member/svjusdreaming/
"The only way to get a good crew is to marry one." -Eric Hiscock
Old 21-01-2009, 06:14   #51

Boat: Custom Finch 46 - Airielle
Yes - that s***t storm began brewing all the way back in 1992, so 16 years of neglected BOAT maintenance will certainily be a big job. Looks like we are borrwoing 2 trillion from our grandkids to rebuild the old schooner. Better do it right.
Old 21-01-2009, 07:03   #52

Boat: Voyage 470 "SeaPaws II"
I don't fully understand what people see in him, 3 years ago who knew of him outside of Illinois. I didn't vote for him and 2 years ago I said if he is elected at least the rest of the world would like our president for a change(no pun intended), that should be a good thing.

I wish him the best for our country's sake. I hope he is our president for the next 8 years because maybe that will mean the USA is doing better and has the right person at the helm(boating reference).
Old 21-01-2009, 07:17   #53

Boat: grampian 26
Congrats to all in the U S. Just beware of the cult of personality. The Americans have and always will rise to the occasion no matter what. First on the moon, exploration of Mars etc. There is nothing you cannot accomplish if you put your collective minds to it. The world owes a debt of gratitude to the U S whether they realize it or not. Just my opinion.
Old 21-01-2009, 08:36   #54

Boat: Custom 36' folding sailing cat
Hip Hip Hooray!
Hopefully we can get this ship righted and on course again!
With the right captain at the Helm, maybe their won't be the millions of dissenting voices ready to start a Mutiny!
I for one am on board and ready for my orders!

Congrats, Captain Barrack!
Old 21-01-2009, 08:49   #55

Ah - Cuba - another reason to talk about Obama and boats (and to some of you guys - enough with the cynicism and predictions of doom. As Oscar Wilde said: The cynic knows the price of everything and the value of nothing).

Hemingway's fishing boat, Pilar, is in Cuba in desperate need of help. A US charity, Finca Vigna, was organized to restore the boat and his Cuban house but had its license to travel to Cuba pulled by the Bush administration because it was somehow supporting the enemy (sigh).

This charity is no lightweight. The board includes Jimmy Buffett, Doris Kearns Goodwin, Bob Villa of this old house, and the watercraft curator from Mystic Seaport. Most interesting is the guy who ran Obama's New England fundraising effort - Alan Solomont - is also on the board. I'd bet lunch money that Barack knows this.

The Pilar is a really cool boat. A boatbuilder who knows her history told me that her twin engines were different sizes. One was 150hp for speed. The other was 50hp for trolling. Engines in those days were not good at idle. She ran fine under both engines or just one.

I've read that there's a Caribbean summit in April in Trinidad that Obama is planning to attend. It's been suggested that he might pick this opportunity to make an announcement about Cuba.

The previous owner of my boat was a Brit. I've got somewhat outdated Cuban cruising guides and even a Cuban courtesy flag aboard. I'm ready to go!

Carl
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	610x.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	6846   Click image for larger version

Name:	D7E500BADCC04401815504E28EC082A93.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	6847  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Image[3].jpg
Views:	151
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	6848  
Old 21-01-2009, 08:59   #56

Boat: Cal 34 "Windemere"
During the primaries I was leaning Republican until I realized they really had no plan for the future and I was especially turned off by the Hannity and Limbaugh daily hatred rants.

I listened to Obama, heard what he had to say, and voted for him. I'm glad I did. Even with the economy as it is I still see hope in the future here and overseas.

I only mention the daily hatred rants because it is safe to do so because it is after midnight in Singapore and our mod, Ex-Calif, is either asleep dreaming of sailboats (boat reference) or at one of the sleazy bars in Orchard Towers sinking (boat reference) into a drunken abyss
Old 21-01-2009, 09:05   #57

Boat: 1989 Carver Santego 3067 - BADFISH
Send a message via AIM to BadFish
Quote:
Hemingway's fishing boat, Pilar, is in Cuba in desperate need of help.
Ahh yes, the Pilar. I almost named my own boat after Ernest's baby...

Like everyone else, I hope Obama opens relations with Cuba. I've been wanting to visit for a while now.

Cheers

Bill
Old 21-01-2009, 09:06   #58

Boat: temporarily boatless...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
I would just like to congratulate all our US friends on the forum on this auspicious day. Barack Obama sworn in as the first black president. Congratulations.
I was under the impression that the election wasn't about race...at least that's what I was told the entire time.
Old 21-01-2009, 09:12   #59
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
The pomp and circumstance bothered me some. Some of the comments from a supposedly neutral media also bothered me. I would like to see a little more modesty the next time we inaugurate a new President. We are not coronating a new king after all. I do wish him success in doing what is correct for this nation.

Life begins where land ends.
Old 21-01-2009, 09:20   #60

I also can't miss to congratulate all US friends in the Forum to your new President.
Yesterday was a great moment not only for America but for the world.
Personally i am very sure that there will come changes and Mr. Obama will fight for
this. A tough job that i really do not want.

I hope he takes the hands from the world and helps that this finance debacel will
never ever happens again.

Here in Germany it feels as if the opinion about the "Americans" is going to change
into positive again. This is very,very good and i am very happy about that.
The magazines are going to write positive again this is the best thing since years.

It is going to be a hard time but all together.... and it will work. I love the words:

YES WE CAN !!
Closed Thread