Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2016, 08:02   #1

Boat: Bristol 41.1
Bahamas Warns Citizens About USA

In a sadly ironic twist, The Bahamian government has issued a warning to its citizens about the danger of traveling to the US.

With 90% of the Bahamians being black, they are issuing cautions about the police in the US, and how to avoid danger in any interactions with law enforcement.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...mepage%2Fstory
Old 09-07-2016, 08:25   #2

Re: Bahamas Warns Citizens About USA

Bahamas Intentional homocide rate: 30 per 100k people
US intentional homicide rate: 4 per 100k people.

Old 09-07-2016, 08:33   #3

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Bahamas Intentional homocide rate: 30 per 100k people
US intentional homicide rate: 4 per 100k people.
Which doesn't invalidate the Bahamian government's warning to it's black citizens, who may not be used to taking rigorous precautions when interacting with police officers.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:40   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
Which doesn't invalidate the Bahamian government's warning to it's black citizens, who may not be used to taking rigorous precautions when interacting with police officers.
Very true. also in the US roughly 90-95% of black homocides are by blacks.. another reason to be careful I suppose!

Old 09-07-2016, 08:45   #5
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Its not sad at all. Its reality.

There are cultural differences that could wind up a visitor dead in the USA.

Heres one.

I was taught in Australia as a lad that if ever i was pulled over by the Police I need to get out of the car first and meet the Police officer with a handshake and an appology as he was getting out of his car. Common good manners in my country at the time! Just the normal right thing to do.

In 1992 i was driving in the USA on my first trip there and was pulled over by the Police and so I, naturally, jumped out of the car to go meet them.

Doing that could get you shot.

Its not sad, instead it is wise to inform your holiday makers about the cultural differences of the countries they are going to. Especially at times like this when those vacationers may be youg, black and partying.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 09-07-2016, 10:18   #6

Boat: 97 Hunter 430 43 ft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post

Heres one.

I was taught in Australia as a lad that if ever i was pulled over by the Police I need to get out of the car first and meet the Police officer with a handshake and an appology as he was getting out of his car. Common good manners in my country at the time! Just the normal right thing to do.

In 1992 i was driving in the USA on my first trip there and was pulled over by the Police and so I, naturally, jumped out of the car to go meet them.

Its not sad, instead it is wise to inform your holiday makers about the cultural differences of the countries they are going to. Especially at times like this when those vacationers may be youg, black and partying.

Mark
Nice example Mark, and good to know if I ever head down under. I think the key here is polite respect and learning local customs. It really doesnt matter where you are or what your background/racial makeup is if you are disrespectful, defiant, and combative. Recognizing these guys are on edge due to recent events will also go a long way. I always grab my wallet quickly, roll down all my tinted windows, place the car in park and put both hands on top of the steering wheel. My first words are "how are you today officer, what can I do for you?" If he asks for anything outside my wallet I tell him where it is and ask if he is ready and would like me to retrive it, with no quick motions and not until he says ok, go ahead and get it. I learned all this the hard way. Fyi 45 yo white guy. Id rather do this than get road rash at best or ventilated at worst.
Old 09-07-2016, 10:43   #7

Yes, my stepson was driving an old ugly Honda Civic on a country road here. He was speeding so got stopped. The drivers side electric window was broken so he opened the door and got out. He was immediately thrown over the hood and handcuffed. Law enforcement has changed a lot since I was young for sure. It seems to be "shoot first ask later" now for a certain percentage of cops. It's really unfortunate.
I understand they train them to shoot if for any reason they feel at risk. I wonder how that would go for me or any average joe on the street? Think I would get away with shooting someone because "I thought they had a knife"? BTW, 3 members of my family were cops, Grandfather, Dad for while too. Moreover, they are all Teamsters now and almost impossible to fire. Police Chiefs no longer have the option to weed out a cop they know isn't fit for the job without a long factual investigation. What cop is going to give up the goods on another cop?. The other 90% of cops end up paying for this.

Old 09-07-2016, 10:46   #8

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkeeth View Post
Nice example Mark, and good to know if I ever head down under. I think the key here is polite respect and learning local customs. It really doesnt matter where you are or what your background/racial makeup is if you are disrespectful, defiant, and combative. Recognizing these guys are on edge due to recent events will also go a long way. I always grab my wallet quickly, roll down all my tinted windows, place the car in park and put both hands on top of the steering wheel. My first words are "how are you today officer, what can I do for you?" If he asks for anything outside my wallet I tell him where it is and ask if he is ready and would like me to retrive it, with no quick motions and not until he says ok, go ahead and get it. I learned all this the hard way. Fyi 45 yo white guy. Id rather do this than get road rash at best or ventilated at worst.
Yes. And turn off your engine and place your keys on the dash. Many officers are injured each year by people launching with the officer getting banged by the car. These guys have a dangerous job and if you make a little effort to show them that you are not going to kill or maim them the encounter will be safer for all involved.
Old 09-07-2016, 11:46   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post

Heres one.

Mark

In my youth in the South, I learned to act the same.
It is different now, now I put my license and registration and my hands on the dash as he or she walks up, intent of course to put them at ease, make it obvious that I intend to cooperate and not to do anything to make them nervous, very stupid to "bow" up to them, but I believe that is often done.
In truth what we do not see is how many violent acts are being perpetrated against the Police, I believe it is due to that more than anything that is driving they way they act.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 09-07-2016, 11:47   #10

Boat: 81 Hunter Cherubini 27

From a friend of mine this morning who is a NYC Police Officer: The easiest thing to do when a police officer stops you is 1) be polite (being argumentative is counter-productive as the officer has stopped you for some reason that HE/SHE believes is reasonable cause. You won't change that officer's mind-set by being confrontational.) Don't fight it there and then, said officer's just doing their job...that's why one ends up going to court where hopefully the truth or guilt is decided. 2) Always cooperate. If one has nothing to hide or be guilty of, then there usually is no problem. If otherwise, then you deserve what you get. 3) No quick movements, calm moderated tone of voice and only state facts. 4) Accept your traffic or jaywalking (or whatever) citation with grace, thank the officer courteously and go on your way....remember, you can always fight that battle in court if you disagree with the officer's actions.

Other's examples here are spot on. Mark's, for example on cultural differences. I live in Egypt unitl I repatriate to the States next year. Have lived what he is talking about, only with 6 Egyptian soldiers with AK's surrounding my Land Cruiser in the middle of the night and arresting me for not having the proper permits for the equipment installed on my desert rig (4.5 ton winch up front, a marine grade radar installed, old chartplotter software on my laptop with ARPA capabilities...they were paranoid about target tracking, diesel fuel tanks installed in excess of what is allowable for the size of vehicle...and the list goes on). In the end...be nice to cops. They are here for us and just like the US military, they volunteered. They could've chose another profession but didn't. Imagine a world without them.....
Old 09-07-2016, 12:21   #11

Boat: Vagabond 14

Always appropriate for these discussions....

Old 09-07-2016, 12:57   #12
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

get used to it--usa is violent and has a violent reputation.
as ALL citizens MUST own guns, and as ALL citizens MUST feel endangered as they walk home, then , it just follows the place has become more violent than any place on the planet.
statistics mean nothing. they can be skewed any way the purchaser/user of the stats wishes.
there are no other nations which tolerate folks running into schools shooting guns. ther e are no other nations tolerating the violent mechanisms being used in usa at present.
therefore usa is most violent nation on planet.
like that--it can be done for all nations. it is what polytishuns send out to propagandize their candidate.
sheeple LOVE statistics.
stats show how they are correct very time.

what they do not consider is the fact the same numbers presented to another user can be used to emphasize the 180 degree opposing view just as well as their own.
Old 09-07-2016, 13:25   #13

Boat: Vagabond 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
get used to it--usa is violent and has a violent reputation.
as ALL citizens MUST own guns, and as ALL citizens MUST feel endangered as they walk home, then , it just follows the place has become more violent than any place on the planet.
statistics mean nothing. they can be skewed any way the purchaser/user of the stats wishes.
there are no other nations which tolerate folks running into schools shooting guns. ther e are no other nations tolerating the violent mechanisms being used in usa at present.
therefore usa is most violent nation on planet.
like that--it can be done for all nations. it is what polytishuns send out to propagandize their candidate.
sheeple LOVE statistics.
stats show how they are correct very time.

what they do not consider is the fact the same numbers presented to another user can be used to emphasize the 180 degree opposing view just as well as their own.

You are wildly misinformed...

You want the most violent nation on the planet I'd be looking in the Middle East or Africa.

Or wherever you are.
Old 09-07-2016, 13:43   #14

Boat: Lagoon 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknishn View Post
From a friend of mine this morning who is a NYC Police Officer: The easiest thing to do when a police officer stops you is 1) be polite (being argumentative is counter-productive as the officer has stopped you for some reason that HE/SHE believes is reasonable cause. You won't change that officer's mind-set by being confrontational.) Don't fight it there and then, said officer's just doing their job...that's why one ends up going to court where hopefully the truth or guilt is decided. 2) Always cooperate. If one has nothing to hide or be guilty of, then there usually is no problem. If otherwise, then you deserve what you get. 3) No quick movements, calm moderated tone of voice and only state facts. 4) Accept your traffic or jaywalking (or whatever) citation with grace, thank the officer courteously and go on your way....remember, you can always fight that battle in court if you disagree with the officer's actions.

Other's examples here are spot on. Mark's, for example on cultural differences. I live in Egypt unitl I repatriate to the States next year. Have lived what he is talking about, only with 6 Egyptian soldiers with AK's surrounding my Land Cruiser in the middle of the night and arresting me for not having the proper permits for the equipment installed on my desert rig (4.5 ton winch up front, a marine grade radar installed, old chartplotter software on my laptop with ARPA capabilities...they were paranoid about target tracking, diesel fuel tanks installed in excess of what is allowable for the size of vehicle...and the list goes on). In the end...be nice to cops. They are here for us and just like the US military, they volunteered. They could've chose another profession but didn't. Imagine a world without them.....
Yep. Just follow these rules and there will be no confrontation or violence. Guaranteed.
Old 09-07-2016, 13:48   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

If this thread has anything to do with sailing or cruising, let's hear it. Otherwise, it is waaaay off topic for this forum.

Tags
Bahamas