Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 09:13   #76

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft
Re: Bahamas Warns Citizens About USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by REsCat View Post
Wow! That just floors me!... Roadside Cops have pulled you over and have a gun drawn and aimed at you,... more than once??

I am born/raised/live in a border town all my life and have spent a lot of my life in the USA and have never experienced something like that.
You must have appeared dangerous or something...

Bob
Truth! twice in Maine-once in NY State & once in Fla. The second patrolman was kneeling behind his pass. door with gun aimed @ front windshield on one occasion(A roadblock) & back window the other 3 times(pull overs). The driver cop approached my drivers window with hand on gun butt. All were situations where they were looking for someone who had escaped or ran from a crime scene & everyone was being checked. I'm white,anglo, & was driving with New Brunswick plates-(a real bad-ass ).
Of course most Americans south of Boston think New Brunswick is in N.J.. (That's another cultural difference with many Americans-geography lessons)
Otherwise,we've always been treated very well & enjoy our trips to the US.

As I said previously-if I was a cop in an "armed" country........

Len

Old 11-07-2016, 09:15   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailnow2011 View Post

1. Right, I believe the girlfriend.... I would lie for my wife, as I am sure you would lie for your wife/husband. Even if she does believe it she would not be a witness as she is partial.

2. People with guns stop mass killings almost weekly, thou you will never hear it on the news.
12 Times Mass Shootings Were Stopped by Good Guys With Guns
That is just a few examples, and number 5 speaks again to me personally.
Good day.
1. Yeah, lyin' spouses are always wrong.

2. Isn't this just "Another NRA talking point?"

Try this, for real statistics:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.a3044eafa8c2

Concept being: while twice as many white people are killed by police than black people (by volume), the % of white citizens to black citizens is HUGE.

If you'd like, we could explain it to you if you need to have it spelled out more.

Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 11-07-2016, 09:15   #78

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailnow2011 View Post
Right, I believe the girlfriend.... I would lie for my wife, as I am sure you would lie for your wife/husband. Even if she does believe it she would not be a witness as she is partial.
Now I know why you carry a concealed weapon...thanx.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Old 11-07-2016, 09:15   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Oh, yeah? Tell that to Philando Castile
Talking of cultural problems, there seems to have been a consistent problem, in the St. Anthony PD, dealing with permit holders.

St. Anthony chief rejected expert's concern about traffic stops - StarTribune.com
Old 11-07-2016, 09:18   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
(That's another cultural difference with many Americans-geography lessons)
I believe it was Mark Twain who said America starts wars so the citizens can get geogrpahy lessons.

We had this recent R President who started this lying war in Iraq, and who didn't even have a passport when he was (s)elected.

Shameful.

Seems most folks who travel, especially outside the USA, have a completely more nuanced understanding of both geography and facts.

Unless, of course, they watch Fox (haha) "News" - I sure hope Ailes gets what's coming to him, and I don't mean not getting f-ed by Carlson. You Go, Gretchen!
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 11-07-2016, 09:35   #81

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Zeehag,
It would be very hard to counter what you say as for every peacekeeping iniative the USA has ever conducted, internally or externally...
there would probably be 10's of ones that promoted violence and bloodshed.

I will be crucified for this but I believe the NRA and its actions are a primary cause for the level of violence the USA is/has been experiencing internally.

Bob
As in most things -follow the $$$$$
No different in Canada-just different topics.
Old 11-07-2016, 10:38   #82
smj

Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran

Quote:
Zeehag,

It would be very hard to counter what you say as for every peacekeeping iniative the USA has ever conducted, internally or externally...

there would probably be 10's of ones that promoted violence and bloodshed.

I will be crucified for this but I believe the NRA and its actions are a primary cause for the level of violence the USA is/has been experiencing internally.

Bob

Can't think of a reason to crucify you for your statement. The NRA has probably bought more politicians than any other special interest group.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 11-07-2016, 10:43   #83

Boat: Bristol 41.1

Sorry to see this devolve to a gun argument, as there is no constructive engagement with the gun fetish bunch.

Bahamas warnings have now been followed by several other countries issuing alerts to their citizens traveling in the US.

I think this helps to put into perspective the warnings from Noonsite and Caribbean Safety Nets about cruising in Carib and S. America.

Safety is both relative and dynamic. Use your head!
Old 11-07-2016, 10:49   #84
I promise to put my pants on

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

Reading this thread it is no wonder than the police get fearful dealing with people. Now throw in that they already are "pumped" due to the call they are responding to it is a wonder they don't end up shooting more people.
Old 11-07-2016, 11:14   #85
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 2016 Glacier Bay 2770

Quote:
. Wow! That just floors me!... Roadside Cops have pulled you over and have a gun drawn and aimed at you,... more than once??
I have lived more than half my life in the US and have never had a problem or had a gun pointed at me.
I do however stay away from bad and crime ridden areas where violence and guns florish and where black lives does not matter as black are busy killing each otter. (Where is Al Sharpton when you need him?)

I don' t own a gun and never felt the need to have one, concelled or not.
Got impact Windows in my house as well as cameras and an alarm system, plus a 45 kg Dobberman Pincer, all that keep burglars away, so far anyway.
As far as being robbed on the streets in town, not a problem either, I dress pretty shabby, look mean and perhaps folks think I have a gun and stay away from me.
Been to 110 countries without a gun and without problems, but some of that can be luck: Jo'Burg in South Africa was pretty rough and the locals warned us to not walk alone after dark, or before dark for that matter.

Should somebody try to board my boat I can always fire a few flares in their faces or pull my dive knife, but if they have fire arms I am obviously at a disadvantage: Trying to stay away from the Venezuealan and Colombian coast as well as Somalia, etc where that stuff is going on.
(Yeah, I know, there is always somebody who have sailed those places in safety and in piece so there is nothing to worry about. )
Old 11-07-2016, 12:04   #86

Boat: 38' French Cat

It's easy to be black and not get hurt by the police just follow these easy steps.

https://youtu.be/OEvMc-K8XHY

Sent from my PLT1077G using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 11-07-2016, 12:14   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Can't think of a reason to crucify you for your statement. The NRA has probably bought more politicians than any other special interest group.
One of the primary reasons that the gun control groups have been so consistently ineffective is because they think that it's the NRA they're fighting.

It's not.

The NRA doesn't lead the gun rights movement, for all of its posturing. It tries to pretend it does, but it doesn't.

Politicians aren't afraid of the NRA's money, they're afraid of the tens of millions gun-rights voters.

Consider the GOP's current bill on denying gun sales to individuals on the terrorist watch list. The GOP leadership supports it. The NRA supports it. But they can't get 218 votes. Why?

Because the gun rights community is simply outraged at the idea of denying fundamental rights without due process. And despite the NRA's best efforts to push the bill, the gun rights community simply doesn't agree, and they're talking to their legislators and making their voices heard.
Old 11-07-2016, 12:21   #88

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Guys

We have a gun forum.

Can we move on?
Old 11-07-2016, 12:28   #89

Boat: Catana 471

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdege View Post
One of the primary reasons that the gun control groups have been so consistently ineffective is because they think that it's the NRA they're fighting.

It's not.

The NRA doesn't lead the gun rights movement, for all of its posturing. It tries to pretend it does, but it doesn't.

Because the gun rights community is simply outraged at the idea of denying fundamental rights without due process. And despite the NRA's best efforts to push the bill, the gun rights community simply doesn't agree, and they're talking to their legislators and making their voices heard.
I always thought the "gun rights community" and the NRA are one and the same...
Every political debate,commentary, analysis I have ever heard both from the US and abroad has reinforced this central theme.
But that's just my interpretation...

OP and others, forgive me for contributing to thread drift on this sobering thread topic and especially for mentioning "guns" which does crash a lot of threads...

Bob
Old 11-07-2016, 12:30   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Guys

We have a gun forum.

Can we move on?
It's not about guns it's about hatred towards those with different opinions.

Tags
Bahamas

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: