Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2016, 21:05   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Bahamas Warns Citizens About USA

A policeman is 18 times more likely to be killed by a black person than the other way around. Police shooting of blacks has decreased drastically over the last 50 years. The whole 'Black Lies' movement is based on a false hood. 'Hands up-don't shoot' never happened. The inmates are taking over the asylum. The big losers are going to be those honest citizens who live in Black Neighborhoods. As far as boating, those people who have their boats in less than upscale neighborhoods could be in for serious trouble either driving there or at the marina if the current of stand off policing continues.
Old 09-07-2016, 21:15   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Consider myself nice white guy was nearly force-ably removed from a local county meeting by armed bullet proof vest wearing militants. Its understandable things like this are happening. I kinda thought it was weird that cops in NZ were not armed. Now i cherish it.
Old 09-07-2016, 21:23   #33
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
A policeman is 18 times more likely to be killed by a black person than the other way around. Police shooting of blacks has decreased drastically over the last 50 years. The whole 'Black Lies' movement is based on a false hood. 'Hands up-don't shoot' never happened. The inmates are taking over the asylum. The big losers are going to be those honest citizens who live in Black Neighborhoods. As far as boating, those people who have their boats in less than upscale neighborhoods could be in for serious trouble either driving there or at the marina if the current of stand off policing continues.
i didn't google fake number like you did, but i believe about 60 cops are murdered each year.

So you reckon 3 or 4 white killers and 54-56 black? Doubt it.
Old 09-07-2016, 23:35   #34

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Its not sad at all. Its reality.

There are cultural differences that could wind up a visitor dead in the USA.

Heres one.

I was taught in Australia as a lad that if ever i was pulled over by the Police I need to get out of the car first and meet the Police officer with a handshake and an appology as he was getting out of his car. Common good manners in my country at the time! Just the normal right thing to do.

In 1992 i was driving in the USA on my first trip there and was pulled over by the Police and so I, naturally, jumped out of the car to go meet them.

Doing that could get you shot.

Its not sad, instead it is wise to inform your holiday makers about the cultural differences of the countries they are going to. Especially at times like this when those vacationers may be youg, black and partying.

Mark
Haha.

The reason an Aussie might jump out of the car to greet a cop is less about manners and more about stopping the cop spotting your open tinnie or contraband.

That stunt stopped working in 1984.

Better to have your female passenger give the cop a sob story.

Theae days they have revenue quotas.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 10-07-2016, 01:01   #35

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

I thought I might chip in and add something before this thread gets shut down, as I anticipate very quickly.

The main issue for cruising is to know the customs in another country. If your 'coloured' and sailing to the USA, understand your likely to be suspect right from the start. It would be a bit like the old (racist) joke about an Australian Aborigional driving a Mercedes. Know that you shouldn't quickly jump out of your car when pulled over when visiting the their.

In Australia, in most places it's fine to get out of the car when pulled over and police won't try to stop you. If they do, it's for your safety, e.g on a busy road.

Unfortunately, in some places in Australia American television is influencing Australian policing. I work with our local police a lot (and I'm a former cop too of 14 years). I attended with police a few months back to an incident involving a mental health matter. One of the young recent academy recruits walked up to the house with his hand in his gun. It made me angry that he was doing this and I said 'what the hell are you doing'? He was clearly taken aback and when I picked up a fuss he decided to take a more relaxed attitudes. As the other cops did. I quipped what on earth are they teaching cops now days? It was just American movie influence.

The really important thing is that no matter where you travel, whether you have right on your side or not, whether the police are being keystone or not, remain police and friendly. Because, innocent people DO get shot, DO get arrested.

I was a country cop for most of my time doing country policing and marine duties. So I never had much of a quota to reach with traffic tickets. But, out of ten people pulled over by me, nine would be cautioned. The tenth would always talk themselves into a ticket with their mouth.
Old 10-07-2016, 01:15   #36
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftbrainstuff View Post

Theae days they have revenue quotas.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
And you know this how?

That is absolutely ill-informed populist clap trap.
Old 10-07-2016, 01:26   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
And you know this how?

That is absolutely ill-informed populist clap trap.
I was a cop from 87 to 2000 in Tasmania.

General duties quota for infringement notices (traffic, e.g speeding) was a book a month, that's 25 a month) in 1999 I did three months in the MAIB traffic task force, the quota for 'tins' (traffic infringement notices) was a book a night, that's 25 a night mid week and 75 over weekends.

Random breath testing general duties was 500 tests a week, RBT's on the MAIB task force was 2000 a night as a target.

Quota's also existed in CIB/CID but they were called 'file closures' and 'collars'.

There was never any 'financial quotas' as finance received under the system we have in Australia all comes back to consolidated revenue. But without any doubt, political pressure on police to raise revenue by catching more speeders definately happens.

That's certainly not true of the courts though as running courts is heavily subsidised financially by government.
Old 10-07-2016, 01:32   #38

Boat: Angus Primrose One design 45ft And Duncanson 34 Mk2

Just dont visit America.. Pretty simple.
Americas govt has destroyed its fair share of the world and not its own country is on the edge of implosion.. Trump should be offering to build a mirror around the borders and not a wall so they can atleast see how the rest of the world sees their countries attitude.
Old 10-07-2016, 01:44   #39
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
I was a cop from 87 to 2000 in Tasmania.
And I was one in QLD from 1980 to 1996 and then was in Federal Criminal Intelligence Agencies for many years (not the Federal Police I hasten to add).

Quote:
General duties quota for infringement notices (traffic, e.g speeding) was a book a month, that's 25 a month) in 1999 I did three months in the MAIB traffic task force, the quota for 'tins' (traffic infringement notices) was a book a night, that's 25 a night mid week and 75 over weekends. Random breath testing general duties was 500 tests a week, RBT's on the MAIB task force was 2000 a night as a target. Quota's also existed in CIB/CID but they were called 'file closures' and 'collars'.
Poor old Tassie, at no stage in my career did I have to meet a Revenue Quota, and at no stage did I have a Traffic Offence Notice Quota or an arrest Quota. The only quota I had was when I was a young fella in Traffic riding bikes. I was obliged to do at approx 200 Kms a shift on average, I willingly obliged.

I was expected to work and I did so tickets and arrests and warrant executions flowed.

2000 RBTs on a night shift you say, thats over 4 a minute non stop for an 8 hour shift. It took me more than 15 seconds to do a roadside breath test.
Old 10-07-2016, 01:53   #40

Quote:
And I was one in QLD from 1980 to 1996 and then was in Federal Criminal Intelligence Agencies for many years (not the Federal Police I hasten to add).

Poor old Tassie, at no stage in my career did I have to meet a Revenue Quota, and at no stage did I have a Traffic Offence Notice Quota or an arrest Quota. The only quota I had was when I was a young fella in Traffic riding bikes. I was obliged to do at approx 200 Kms a shift on average, I willingly obliged.

I was expected to work and I did so tickets and arrests and warrant executions flowed.

2000 RBTs on a night shift you say, thats over 4 a minute non stop for an 8 hour shift. It took me more than 15 seconds to do a roadside breath test.
Interesting times to be a cop in Queensland Factor. Under jack Herbert and Terence Lewis, with JB Peterson at the helm

I was speaking for Tasmania, and as you are only speaking for the situation in Queensland during a similar time. But we can agree 'revenue quotas' don't directly occur. Though, in my experience revenue is definately a factor (pardon the pun ). I was aware that the MAIB task force funded by the $1m a year from the MAIB, needed to show it was getting the numbers in order to get the funding. But again, that's Tasmania.

And RBT's Take less than five seconds a test. But my quota's for RBT's's were typical for each team of two.
Old 10-07-2016, 02:11   #41
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
And RBT's Take less than five seconds a test. But my quota's for RBT's's were typical for each team of two.
You are quicker than me. I couldn't introduce myself, explain the process ask the relevant questions, eg time since last drink etc, issue the "Request" as it then was, conduct the physical test and thank the driver and then move to the next driver in under a couple of minutes. But that was just me. Last time I got stopped for RBT in Tassie (April this year) the young fellow that dealt with me followed a remarkably similar process to the one I used to follow. He was a delightful young man, I was on my bike doing a post targa tour of tassie and after the conclusion of my test he waved over his mate who was a motorcyclist as well and he (the mate) proceeded to tell me all the best riding roads in the area. Even got me to get my map out to assist in the info session. Nice blokes, credit to TASPOL

I worked with a number of TASPOL when I was at the ABCI (fore runner to the ACC). Bumped into one of them while I was there in April.

And I am sure you weren't implying anything in your reference to the ordinary people mentioned in your introduction, but for the record Herbert had left the job before I joined. And for the record I worked for the Inquiry. And for the record the current Commissioner and Deputy Commissioners were all in the job at the same time as me and therefore the time period you mention, I consider them all friends and incorruptible people.
Old 10-07-2016, 02:18   #42

Quote:
You are quicker than me. I couldn't introduce myself, explain the process ask the relevant questions, eg time since last drink etc, issue the "Request" as it then was, conduct the physical test and thank the driver and then move to the next driver in under a couple of minutes. But that was just me. Last time I got stopped for RBT in Tassie (April this year) the young fellow that dealt with me followed a remarkably similar process to the one I used to follow. He was a delightful young man, I was on my bike doing a post targa tour of tassie and after the conclusion of my test he waved over his mate who was a motorcyclist as well and he (the mate) proceeded to tell me all the best riding roads in the area.

I worked with a number of TASPOL when I was at the ABCI (fore runner to the ACC). Bumped into one of them while I was there in April.
Oh come on. Now your adding stuff to the process. Using an SD2 takes less than five seconds. Yes you can add all the other stuff, in which case you forgot time to walk up to the car, scratch your backside, discuss the weather and all the rest including how pretty the lady looks in her blouse.

I can't believe you are trying to cast doubt on my policing experience the initial statement was to do with 'quotas'. And at an RBT site we don't have to ask if th have been drinking. Don't care if they have been drinking or not. Only care if they give an indication they are over the limit.

And big whoop, you were seconded to the ABCI. Good for you.

(actually it is a big whoop, well done).
Old 10-07-2016, 02:27   #43
Marine Service Provider

We should probably leave it there and let the other folk argue over what size gun they need.
Old 10-07-2016, 02:39   #44

Quote:
We should probably leave it there and let the other folk argue over what size gun they need.
I think that's a very good idea.
Old 10-07-2016, 04:42   #45
CLOD

Boat: none

It's not really that violence is up, it's that the media currently gives certain types a lot of play.

Tags
Bahamas