Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 08:09   #151

Re: Bahamas Warns Citizens About USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Good grief... what an attitude for someone with interests in cruising.

Jim
You are correct Jim but in more eloquent terms, Every potential visitor needs to weigh the information available and decide if they they would be safe visiting any country in the world. The US is no different, if you are not comfortable don't visit. There should be travel warnings For the U.S. there are safe areas and unsafe areas in every state.

Old 12-07-2016, 09:49   #152

Boat: Alberg #0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurninTurtle View Post
You non-US people don't like the US?

Good.

Stay the hell out.
How about the US start by getting the "hell out" of other countries? I'm sure you would find more people liking the US as a result.

Old 12-07-2016, 10:02   #153

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Old 12-07-2016, 10:19   #154
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in the Caribbean
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
The lizzard looks a bit like Dona......

Ooops. No politics.

Obviously the Democrats have patched up that butterfly.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 12-07-2016, 15:25   #155
smj

Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post

Looks like Donald Trump with a new hair piece. Oops maybe that was political:-)

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 12-07-2016, 18:30   #156

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Although Americans are very charitable, you're not even close.

In 2015, the largest source of American charitable giving* came from individuals at $268.28 billion, or 71% of total giving; followed by foundations ($57.19 billion/16%), bequests ($28.72 billion/9%), and corporations ($18.46 billion/5%).
Total = $373.25 billion

* Mostly domestic, and the majority of charitable dollars went to religion (32%)

https://www.nptrust.org/index.php?/p...ng-statistics/

In fiscal year 2015, military spending ($598.5 billion) is projected to account for 54 percent of all federal discretionary spending.
I stand corrected. I couldn't remember where I read that and did some surfing on the net. From several sources I came up with personal giving at around 50% of the military budget. $370+ billion is still a generous amount of coin.
Old 12-07-2016, 18:40   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by REsCat View Post
If the words "for the greater good" had been included with "the right of the people to keep and bear Arms" or be amended to read such then perhaps the 2nd Amendment would more accurately reflect the will of the people now as it exists or allow the people to exercise it.

No constitution of any nation in the history of mankind has yet proven to be a definitive document/charter without reproach or one that can uphold and adapt fully to the will of the people (as it was originally contstructed) and endure the test of time.

I am sure if the Founding Fathers were gathered today and asked, they would acknowledge this.

The current US political process, parties etc seem to have lost the concept of "for the greater good" , as have many other nations in the world. JMHO

Bob
I don't think you understand the purpose of the Constitution. There IS a process built in for it to be molded by "the will of the people" as you put it. But it was written in such a way as to make it fairly difficult to do, so that people wouldn't just throw their rights away on a whim.
Old 12-07-2016, 18:52   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
Not so sure, back then owning slaves was good stuff, by all means, get a few more to pick cotton.
The gun thingy was also cool: Protect your property and your slaves against a heavy handed Government, you know they are out to get you.
Guess they had to give up one, but not the other.
Everything is a compromise so now the guns are here to stay regardless how many innocent people get killed in mass-shootings. The NRA of courses says that we need more guns, the more the better.
The more killings, the more we are defending our Constitutiononal Rights of course. Don't you libs see it? :face palm:
HAHAHA The lefties always have to have a boogey man. OOOOHHHHH look out its the evil NRA. You Know, the NRA, that organization made out of citizen members. Doctors, Lawyers, Police officers, Military, Truckdrivers, Housewives.................... Even cruisers. All those evil evil NRAs.

LOL.
Old 12-07-2016, 19:09   #159
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 2016 Glacier Bay 2770

Quote:
Originally Posted by landlockedsquid View Post
HAHAHA The lefties always have to have a boogey man. OOOOHHHHH look out its the evil NRA. You Know, the NRA, that organization made out of citizen members. Doctors, Lawyers, Police officers, Military, Truckdrivers, Housewives.................... Even cruisers. All those evil evil NRAs.

LOL.
Lefties have a boogeyman?

Not so sure about that but the NRA must have pictures of most congress men on a farm,: Any common sense bill looking for gun control gets voted down so more mental cases and terrorist can buy semi automatic weapons then go to town and do the daily massacre.
Good idea, I am sure that is what the Constitution was all about: Kill as many innocent citizens as you can in one go, then do it again. At least the NRA is happy, no stinking gun control.
Old 12-07-2016, 19:21   #160

Boat: Rafiki 37

The reality for cruisers is that the US is not much different than most places. Go in with an open mind, an awareness of how things are happening, and a reasonable dose of humility, and you'll be fine. Their police/authorities are a bit more over-zealous than in most developed countries, but if you follow the rules and don't pretend to know their country better than they do, all will be fine.

As to the route causes, I leave that to sociologists and Americans in general to figure out. From an outsider's perspective it seems clear something is going wrong. But I am outsider, and a guest when travelling there. I celebrate the people, and just keep smiling and nodding (and bite my tongue) when it comes to dealing with their authorities.
Old 12-07-2016, 20:30   #161

If you stay out of cities and states whose chief political executive officers are members of the Democrat party, you'll be fine. You'll find everyone friendly and funny and helpful and....armed. I've often wondered why Democrat controlled cities are such cesspools of violence.
Old 12-07-2016, 20:32   #162

Boat: Landlocked right now.

I have only the best experiences with US law enforcement. They stopped me twice because of speeding. But I still have a strong Austrian/German accent mixed in with a bit of Aussi. They always identify me as European tourist and are really nice to me. Somehow I bring always the "serve and protect" instinct out of policemen.

Once in Phoenix they stopped me driving 70. I thought I stick to my German routine and pretended that my English is less than basic and spoke German in a hard to understand Bavarian dialect. I said: "Hab' ich was falsch gemacht?" (Did I do somethng wrong) and he answered in same strong Bavarian dialect "Jo Bua, fü thschnell gfoarn bist halt". (Yes, son, you drove way too fast) adding that this was not an Autobahn. He was an ex GI stationed in Augsburg for over 20 years. We are still friends.

I travelled a lot. There are two things I've learned. Firstly, everywhere I went there were nice people and assholes. I usually attract more the nice ones. Secondly, bureaucracy is the same everywhere. The way you deal with bureaucrats in order to achieve what you want is also the same all over the world. All you need is patience.

It is like a storm at the horizon, a force of nature you have to deal with. It does not help if you get angry or yell at the storm, but you try to avoid crossing it's path as much as possible.

However, saying that does not take into account that I am white, usually well dressed, not as tall or muscular that I could be seen as threatening and I'm not carrying a weapon. I usually come across as a real nice guy.
Old 12-07-2016, 21:01   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
Lefties have a boogeyman?

Not so sure about that but the NRA must have pictures of most congress men on a farm,: Any common sense bill looking for gun control gets voted down so more mental cases and terrorist can buy semi automatic weapons then go to town and do the daily massacre.
Good idea, I am sure that is what the Constitution was all about: Kill as many innocent citizens as you can in one go, then do it again. At least the NRA is happy, no stinking gun control. :roll eyes:
Theres plenty of "gun control" In fact to much.
What part of SHALL NOT do you not understand.
Oh yes. Common sense. All these people with a complete lack of it always calling for COMMON SENSE forcing there opinion upon me, no matter how nonsensical and foolish it is.
Guess what. CRIMINALS ARE CRIMINALS. They don't obey your "common sense" laws. All they do is infringe upon law abiding people. How come all you "common sense" people are incapable of grasping that?
Good Lord.
Old 12-07-2016, 21:05   #164

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

I think we have said all we can say...

Closed Thread

Tags
Bahamas

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: