Join CruisersForum Today

Old 03-02-2014, 13:38   #91
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Australia approves dumping in Great Barrier reef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
Records I have just read show that since 2002, six people have been killed by sharks in WA.

Coops.
50% a year... hmmmm
not half as bad as it sounds...

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 13:40   #92
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator
Re: Australia approves dumping in Great Barrier reef

Feeding frenzy is not limited to sharks.

Coops.

Old 03-02-2014, 15:24   #93
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

I think if I lived in a country that has more nasty and lethal animals than God intended, I probably would be conditioned more into a survival mode.
However, I think Australians can come up with a better solution than indiscriminate baiting and killing all sharks

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 03-02-2014, 15:29   #94
Bailing as fast as I can.

Boat: Swanson 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by beverley View Post
And in Africa, more tourists are killed by hippos than crocodiles. After all a hippo is just a big sort of cow isn't it? How could it be dangerous?

A cow stood on my foot when I was milking one morning. It hurt. They ARE dangerous.
Old 03-02-2014, 15:32   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
A cow stood on my foot when I was milking one morning. It hurt. They ARE dangerous.
Agreed. I have spent enough time in my brother-in-laws milking parlour. Thankfully he has changed from stocking cows to goats and they are so cute
Old 03-02-2014, 16:50   #96
Bailing as fast as I can.

Boat: Swanson 42

Quote:
Agreed. I have spent enough time in my brother-in-laws milking parlour. Thankfully he has changed from stocking cows to goats and they are so cute
Yes they are... but careful... they bite!

OK, so I found farm life a bit rough, and I don't miss it... I reckon I might have some issues to work through....
Old 03-02-2014, 17:23   #97
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
There was a report here recently, and I cannot find it now, that said that more people are killed by vending machines than sharks.

Coops.
To say nothing of the number killed by the eating the contents of said vending machines
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
I think if I lived in a country that has more nasty and lethal animals than God intended, I probably would be conditioned more into a survival mode.
However, I think Australians can come up with a better solution than indiscriminate baiting and killing all sharks

Hmm... while the Aussie city dweller is gun shy, their bush cousins have a very simple principle to live by; it it moves shoot it, if it doesn't move, shoot it.

Of course 98% (or so) of our population are urban dwellers

Edit. The above number is an internet statistic...
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 17:56   #98

Boat: between boats

Quote:
Boatman - I recall seeing a documentary once about African lions. If a lion see a human coming in its direction, it gets up and moves off. Over the millennia, lions that failed to do this wound up being dinner in the local village. The only lions left were those that feared humans.

What a pity the sharks are not as smart as lions....
Interesting analogy there. if a lion eats a human in africa it is hunted and killed - no one getting on their bandwagon about that.

If a shark eats a human its the dead persons fault as they chose to be in the water with it and the shark should be left alone to maybe do so again down the track. At least that was the shark lovers reasoning before we introduced nets and baited lines. Now they are in a real frenzy

We actually had a debate about whether to kill a man eater being tracked by helicopter 2 years ago - by the time the decision was made it was gone gotta laugh
Old 03-02-2014, 22:41   #99

Boat: Young Sun 43

As a Brit sailing on the East coast it is hard to comprehend the sense in doing this when there are lots of alternative options that were simply ignored by government - As far as I can see because they involved lowering the profits of an extremely profitable mining industry. I agree Aussie culture is as mentioned steeped in 'brown bag' politics at a level difficult to imagine from other parts of the developed world. The real issues have been stated and revolve around the sediment begin carried to the reef, there are plenty of currents to do this and there is no yes or no answer as to whether it will be. Of course the East Australian current being the most famous to those who only know of the region. Most importantly almost EVERYONE who has physical experience on the reef over the past years reports that it is in steep decline in terms of quality - and whilst it is not only issues such as this that cause it, agricultural run off being a specific point in case or crown of thorns starfish, this is in no way sends a message of leadership for the environment and does not put action to the grand words about protecting our environment. And it is an unnecessary risk to add to the mix of pressures. Aus Gov are happy to tax and fine individual Australians for every possible 'environmental impact' or infringement under the sun and yet are unable to stand by some basic environmental values themselves in being seen to be the protector of a world heritage site. Sad day for Australia.
Old 03-02-2014, 23:58   #100

Boat: Custom Perry Passport 41, steel

Tiki2
Not sure what you mean by 'Paper bag' politics, clarification please.
Do you mean political donation. Shortsighted yes, are they risking loosing world heritage listing, yes. Does the world need more coal burnt, no. Has the Great barrier Marine park authority lost some credibility?. I think the stakes are pretty high, I would give them the benefit of the doubt and trust that any silt settling will occur long before it gets to coral.
In away, it is pretty incredible that a Chinese ship that hit the reef a couple of years ago were fined millions, I wonder how the powers that be will fine themselves should they get it wrong.
Old 04-02-2014, 00:41   #101

Nothing like an ill informed media beat up.

Have a glance at these two stories.
We get fairly major floods up in the north on average probably every 5 to ten years.

Floods threaten Great Barrier Reef, La Niña to blame

Cattle, crops, and coral: Flood plumes and the Great Barrier Reef

Below is a picture I found online showing the flood plume from the Burnett river, near Abbot pt, which I have marked for clarity.

I feel its a bit of a tree hugger beat up, but I am by no means an expert on flood damage or dredging spoil damage, but I do know that there is 25 NM between Abbot pt and the reef and that flood plume is almost there in the picture.
Further south at Great Keppell Island there is reef surrounding it and its only a few miles from the coast.
Supposedly there was 100% coral death from the sediment dumped on it from the last flood so say some news reports.

And as others have said, its a bloody jetty NOT a port.
Gladstone further south, now that was something for them to get on their high horse about.
Old 04-02-2014, 00:46   #102

Boat: planning a approx 45ft cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post

My understanding is that in WA and QLD the baiting is done on selected populated beaches by targeting beaches with a lot of human activity or where a death has occurred in WA. Obviously it is not entirely descrete as there is no control over non target sharks taking the bait.

I call that discriminating.

Cheers
Old 04-02-2014, 03:08   #103

Boat: Island Packet 40

Personally I feel that anyone that gets into water frequented by great whites is no great loss to the gene pool. Same goes for crocs.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:18   #104

Boat: between boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Personally I feel that anyone that gets into water frequented by great whites is no great loss to the gene pool. Same goes for crocs.
what a completely outrageous thing to say! Either you are trolling or you have no concept of human decency.

like to see you dribble that line to the wife and kids of the last poor surfer bitten in half at gracetown while pursuing an innocent and healthy pastime

Wow!
Old 04-02-2014, 11:45   #105

Boat: Custom Steel 43 ft

Walking a thin moral line here... the croc and shark issue is tough for me. I know leaving the crocs and sharks alone is right thing to do but I am an avid ocean swimmer and I am starting to get scared.

I lived in Wyndham in the Kimberley for a while. Was a bar tender at the hotel. A story running the circuit was a hotel guest had gone to walk the beach with one of the hotel dogs, something anybody knows is a silly thing to do in Wyndham, and a croc had jumped out and took the dog leaving the terrified man standing there. The Aboroginals up there liked to go swimming with dogs because they said the crocs liked dogs more than humans.

My grandparents, who met in Broome, said they used to watch the sharks in the surf along the beach north of Port Headland. I would like to sit there with my wife and kids and do the same one day.

Maybe the solution is to always take dogs swimming with you....

Sent from my Ideos using Tapatalk 2

Tags
Australia, Great Barrier Reef

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: