Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2012, 20:36   #61

Boat: BAYLINER 4788
Re: Are you over 50? Need advice.

I'm 50 and offer this simple advice. Its a saying that I hear all over boating forums, and it goes something like this.

In 20 years you'll spend more time regretting the things you didn't do than the things you did.

Put another way, live your life like there may be no tomorrow, for if tomorrow never comes, you will still have lived your life to its fullest.

This advice is coming from a guy thats done just that.

* At 27 I moved my 7 year old son and myself to Alaska on a whim. I had $321 to my name when I arrived here.
* I've piloted my own float plane through Alaskas bush, and explored places few people go to.
* Piloted my own boat twice up the inside passage to Alaska
* Explored pretty much all of Prince William Sound Alaska, fishing to my hearts content
* Almost been killed more times than I want to think about.
* And have had a heck of a time along the way.

The next adventure...

Next summer my son is taking his vacation and we're going to try for a world record Ling Cod

After that, its down the coast, through the panama canal, cruise the carribean and great loop.
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2012, 21:06   #62

At 32 you are old enough to make your own choises. That being said I will give you my 2 cents worth. GO YOUNG, GO early. In your 20s and 30s you will be able to cruise in a boat that most of us old farts would consider much too small and primitive. Do you want to work 30 more years to be able to afford the boat with the big freezer ( for your insulin?) and the electric winches(because you are too old to grind the regular ones)? Some thing that has been said is to look to your parents to see what your old age will look like. In my case , my parents loved to get post cards from Paradise(yes my mother worried),. They missed the chance to go cruising in the late 30s on a gaff rigged schooner, just before WW2. My older brother and the war put an end to cruising for my folks. Also look to your folks to think about when you will become the sandwhich generation. Young kids and aging parents make for more resposibility than the foot loose and fancy free life can deal with. Something else to think about! My fatherinlaw retired on his 65th birthday. Skinny, healthy, didnt drink or smoke, Dropped dead 30 days later. LIFE IS A CRAP SHOOT, GO NOW._____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2012, 21:12   #63

Boat: SAGA 27 AK

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentientcj View Post
I turn 32 today. Mixed feelings about it.

If you could, what would you tell your 32 year old self today that you might not have known then.
I'm 60 now; It's like you leave your parent's home on the morning of your twentyfirst birthday saying "bye Mom", and when you come back in the evening you're 60... And you haven't a clue where the years went!

Don't blink...
Old 13-11-2012, 21:12   #64

Hmm. Not sure that Thoreau at 30 was that smart. Although as with most truisms there is some truth in it. Advice I guess says something about the advisors. Ignoring it or at least not considering it something about the advisees.
I suggest you look at and take responsibility for your own life, with your personality and circumstances - someone else's so far according to them ain't worth that much.
chris_gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2012, 21:17   #65

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide

Man or nation, debt is an ugly plague of fools... What is your freedom worth? A shiny new car? Do not heed the foolish, do not follow them, or accept their chains.....

I wish I had seen then exactly what freedom the sacrifice was buying me...

I have never owned a new car, but then again I have NO debt and tomorrow I leave for another cruising adventure....

32 is a great age to be asking such questions...

Peace, fair winds, and happy birthday.
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2012, 21:20   #66

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable

I'm not quite 50, but it is starting to look awfully close.
Some random advice I'd give my 32 year old self, were I able:
a. That relationship is not making you happy. End it... now. Seriously.
b. Stop smoking cigarettes - they are expensive and there other ways to take years off your life that are a lot more fun.
c. Having a dream is great, but worthless unless you are taking steps towards realising that dream (small steps are fine).
d. Minimise any debt that doesn't increase your wealth (i.e. debt for a house is ok, debt for a car is not
e. It is important to plan for the future, but don't forget to have fun in the here and now as well
f. Don't listen to old guys...
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2012, 05:56   #67

Boat: Cape Dory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo
H.D. Thoreau on advice:

I have lived some thirty years on this planet, and I have yet to hear the first syllable of valuable or even earnest advice from my seniors. They have told me nothing, and probably cannot tell me anything to the purpose.
Presented without comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill352 View Post
Presented without comment.
I don't know how to do those embedded quotes . . .. That is the line I was going for but I always think it makes a much more interesting point (and sounds much less arrogant) in the context of the paragraph. It is much punchier alone though, eh?
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2012, 06:04   #68
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
I have lived some thirty years on this planet, and I have yet to hear the first syllable of valuable or even earnest advice from my seniors. They have told me nothing, and probably cannot tell me anything to the purpose.

no body at 30 is very smart-- might have intelligence, but aint smarts.
old ones are appreciated after one turns 40, and hopefully, before those old ones are no longer available for comment-
i am very privileged to have known my old ones--great grandfather on one side of mommas family, and great grandmother on my mommas other side- and my parents' parents were all alive and kicking when i was growing bigger....i was and am most fortunate. i can even remember their words of wisdom....didnt follow em, but i remember them well........
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2012, 08:11   #69
Armchair Bucketeer

Ok, me body still has a couple of years yet to 50 - but I qualify myself by having the internal organs of an 80 yo (the mind still largely juvenille though ).

1) What you will enjoy doing at 32 will become different as you get older, not because your body is no longer capable but simply because you want to do different stuff.......the desire to do things you had intended dissapears before the physical capability to do so.......what exactly that involves doing at 32 instead of delaying until later is a matter of choice, but likely involves things that require a bit of roughing it or are simply a bit more half assed .

2) The stuff you do now will impact on your health sooner or later. and that could be sooner than is conveniant .

3) As you get older you don't lose the capacity to do dumb stuff ......it's fun at all ages (it's just that likely the specifics change).

4) Keep half an eye on the future - options is always useful. and accept that sometimes it involves missing out on 24/7 fun for good old fashion dull stuff.

5) don't bother keeping up with the Jones'.

6) don't listen to old f#ckers on the internet .

Health, Family and Fun - all usually requires some money picked up along the way. The more you can earn - the less work you have to do .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2012, 08:22   #70

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tingum View Post
When we first started sailing we were younger than most other cruisers we met. !
So were we. When we started most of the other cruisers were older. Now they're all younger! What happened??
Old 14-11-2012, 08:24   #71

The guy who certified me as a sailing instructor gave me some advise about being over 50.

Warming - somewhat racy. See below.

Never walk past a urinal
Never trust a fart
Never ignore an erection.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2012, 01:08   #72

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Dockhead and DOJ had some good things to say.

If you are in a relationship - look at it really closely. Is this life what I want? If not - end the relationship. The sooner the better. GEt on with doing what you want to do.

Get laid more often (yes there is less sex as you get older - but it doesn't stop - thank god).

If you drag a wrong partner around you will find it only gets more expensive as the years go by and your happiness quotient will be miserably low.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2012, 02:37   #73

A guy named Joseph Campbell said, "to follow your bliss". Doesn't really matter what it is but follow it.....Doctorate degrees are nice...I have one and working on a second (at 53) but if it is not you forget it....not worth living up to something.....EVER

Never waste time on bullshiat, have fun, enjoy life...if you do not go to bed with a smile on your face at least 85% of the time ....something needs to change!

Happy Birthday younger dude
Twotimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2012, 08:37   #74

Boat: 36' Bruce Roberts Ketch

Thank you all for the incredible amount of good advice.

I worked my tail off to be an attorney. Have been practicing for four years now. Can simply no longer stomach going to work every morning for the next thirty years. Hopelessly depressing. So I bought a boat and am leaving in December.

The point is, wanted to make sure it was the right thing to do. Thoughts of lazy, irresponsible, not planning financially for the future (like so many of you said) in exchange for instant gratification, etc. abound. But I guess two or three years won't make a huge difference, right?
Old 15-11-2012, 09:05   #75

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentientcj View Post
Thank you all for the incredible amount of good advice.

I worked my tail off to be an attorney. Have been practicing for four years now. Can simply no longer stomach going to work every morning for the next thirty years. Hopelessly depressing. So I bought a boat and am leaving in December.

The point is, wanted to make sure it was the right thing to do. Thoughts of lazy, irresponsible, not planning financially for the future (like so many of you said) in exchange for instant gratification, etc. abound. But I guess two or three years won't make a huge difference, right?
It's OK to take a break, and the problem with the "delayed gratification" crowd is that some of them never get past the "delay" part.

You will be working on your boat - it will be a different kind of work. Maybe it's just the work you're doing that is hard to deal with.

Try my visualization technique, and in that process try to visualize a way of integrating work and life into a single, harmonious system.

The concept of "work-life balance" assumes that work and life are separate and distinct components of a person's existence. My philosophy is that work should be a part of life, and should be integrated with the rest of your life interest and goals.

I'm sure there are many applications for an attorney that will not upset your stomach as much as whatever you are doing now! Part of "gratification" is having a sense of life purpose - for many people (not all), that means continuing to work in a field that is fulfilling and fun!
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote