Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2008, 15:57   #1

Boat: Sceptre 41
Are you a "real" Cruiser?

Been pondering this question for awhile. It is very hard to quantify. Does being a real cruiser mean that you have sold everything and are wandering about the watery part of the world with no place to come back to? Are you a real cruiser if you spend 6 months on your boat and six months at your house? What if it is 9 months at your house and 3 months on the boat? As the end of 2008 approaches I’ve had two relatively short passages: Astoria Oregon To SF Bay and SF Bay to San Diego. Plus quite a few weekend sailing trips. I don’t really consider myself a cruiser because on the limited time frames that I have available. Two weeks here and three weeks there. On the other hand I hear people say, “Wow that is a once in lifetime trip.” I think to myself when people say that “I certainly hope not. It is just the start of a longer trip.” Then again there are a lot of boat that never leave SF Bay.

So does commuter cruising count as being a cruiser? I’ll define commuter cruising as follows – passage making on a yacht and then flying home. Then returning to the boat and making another passage.

Additional questions:

Do you have to sell everything to be a cruiser?

Do you have to have jerry jugs strapped to the boat to be a cruiser?

Do you have to go to a foreign country to be a cruiser?

These questions nagged me as I finished bringing the boat down to San Diego. We arrived in Mission Bay the day that the Baja Ha Ha folks were taking off. (I had hoped to be on that rally but as I look into the condition of the boat I am happy that I didn’t go. There is a little too much work to be done on the boat.) On the drive home from SD I wondered about these questions. Then I read a letter in the Nov Lat 38 about what a real cruiser was and the editor went on to describe the many different types of cruisers.

I know that when I leave Ohana somewhere I am very sad. I don’t want to go home, don’t want to work, and just have a general gloom about me until I can get back on to the boat and perform some horrible job like cleaning out the diesel tank or replacing the sanitation lines. Doesn’t that sound a lot better than to be sitting in an office working.

What do you think a real cruiser is and are you one yet?

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 16:41   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I think that anyone who cruises their boat is a cruiser, irrespective of time spent cruising. You more than qualify Charlie.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 16:58   #3

Boat: Lagoon 380; Indigo Moon
Here is a link to an article I wrote that was published in the Caribbean Compass that examines that exact question!

Indigo Moon - Advocate

All the best,

Buddy
Old 11-11-2008, 17:14   #4
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 44' CSY "Walkover" cutter, La Nostra
Hey, I don't think there is any "official" definition of what is a cruiser - but perhaps I can offer what I thing makes sense here. You are not a racer or a fisherman, yet you spend time on your boat. That kinda puts you into the classification of "cruiser".
But let's take that to the next logical step. I, too, spend a fair amout of time on my boat - about a 4-month stretch every year during which I live aboard on the hook and operate a small charter business with guests on board occasionally. During the rest of the time spent on board I sort of meander from place to place on no special schedule enjoying life and the people in the areas that I visit. So do I consider myself to be "a cruiser"? No - because "cruising" is not my primary function in life. I'd very much like it to be, but it isn't. Sadly, my creditors prefer that I still am gainfully employed most of the time.
I really think that in this society of ours we are defined by what we do .... PRIMARILY. If one puts roofs on houses, one is a "roofer". If one drives a bus, one is a "bus driver". If one is in the banking business, one is a "banker". If one happens to be a banker who also spends time on his sailboat as ofter as possible, one is still a "banker" who spends time on a sailboat. I don't think we can call ourselves "cruisers" until "cruising" is what we do MOST of the time. If one spends 7 or 8 months out "cruising", then returns home for a few months to spend the holidays or visit the children, one is a "cruiser". But if one spends most of one's time at one's vocation, and only "catch-as-catch-can" time on one's boat, they are not "cruisers", they are still defined by their vocation.
..... but that's just one man's opinion!
Located in the Sunny Caribbean
"Life's short ... Eat dessert first!"
harryrezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 17:32   #5
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 44' CSY "Walkover" cutter, La Nostra
Hey, Buddy - As an avid reader of Caribbean Compass (when I'm in the area) I must congratulate you not only on an article well above the usual quality of ramblings one finds in that publication, but of a really great piece, regardless of where published! You, sir, have a real knack!
In fact, should you ever find yourselves in my proximity, as a self-defined "non-cruiser" (see above) I'd be honored to have y'all on board for a beer .... or two .... or .....
Located in the Sunny Caribbean
"Life's short ... Eat dessert first!"
harryrezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 17:40   #6

David Buddy and Harry thanks for your comments. In thinking about it more there must be a definition in everyone that tells them what a cruiser is -- to some it may be circumnavigating to others it may mean sailing to Mexico to others . . . My definition is that I want to be a cruiser that has an open time frame measured in years instead of months or weeks. I may never get that (and stay married) but man I would love to be out with no set destination. Where you headed someone may ask and all I would answer is, "South" or West or some vague answer. I met a German Trimaran when I was in Dana Point and talking to them for awhile I found out they had bought the boat in SF and were going back to Germany. I asked where they hwere headed and they said back to Germany. "Are you going to turn left or right." The guy smiled and said, "Right" That was a nice answer. "I'm jealous." was my reply.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Old 11-11-2008, 17:42   #7

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Charlie,

It's a state of mind. You can do it from your armchair. You don't have to single hand around the world to be a cruiser.
Old 11-11-2008, 17:55   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Do you have to sell everything to be a cruiser?
Given the average time aboard is not more than 5 years I wouldn't say so. Most people return or end up some place. You can cruise as much or as little as you like. It's one of those activities that is mostly about showing up. Enjoy what you do and I don't see a problem with what people call you. In the end it may be more fair to call you a poor fisherman. Cruising is more about already being there than where you are.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 18:00   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
Enjoy what you do and I don't see a problem with what people call you. In the end it may be more fair to call you a poor fisherman. Cruising is more about already being there than where you are.
I like the line about the poor fisherman.

Vasco: I don't know about the state of mind. I find it more of an obsession or addiction. When I get out on the water I just feel at ease. In two knots or 25. Whether I am fixing something or kicking with a beverage I feel at ease with everything. I rarely get that feeling of ease at home or at work. Maybe that says something right there.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 11-11-2008, 18:24   #10

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Charlie,

It's a state of mind. You can do it from your armchair. You don't have to single hand around the world to be a cruiser.
Wow!

I am a cruiser.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 21:50   #11

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
What motivates some Cruisers to “slice the baloney thin” and concoct definitions that exclude others?
answer....LOW SELF ESTEAM.........

Great write up Buddy ..I can hardly wait to log back in and read about your assassination...

Much of life's rebukes from our critics is directly linked to deep issues inside that critic..

I have found out I LOVE to sail in gale conditions...mind you I sail in protected waters so least some of you low self esteemed types out there want to assassinate me already and prove my point... let me prelude that with, I have ZERO blue water experance and will not event try to tell you about what happens out there in comparing the two...so take a deep breath and a pour your self a glass or your favorite mind swilly and keep an open one.

I like big boats...I like the power of them ..I like the way they handel compared to the small boats I've owned..I like being able to stand up everywhere with minimal stooping as I have a bad back...I like challenges also and storms are challenges...I could not be a cruiser on a small boat because of it.

Im not a record setter and I have never played any competitive sports per say and was pretty much a couple years behind in maturing as far a physical strengths compared to my peers...I have phobias as well I am to a certain degree afraid of heights..even though I have taught rock climbing...have topped trees and will readily go up my mast..

Why am I bringing this all up...I believe Jealousy, Fear or love are the only forces that get us off our duffs to do anything ..rather thats go to work each day or sell it all and set out wander lusting.

For some that decition took years of planning ..sacrifice..and struggle to achieve...for others it was an off hand decition to try something new and they bought a boat and set out that week.

Here in lies the point of my theory...

We are going to run into a myriad of personalities that run the gamut between thoes two extremes...each will have a preconceived Idea of what it takes to "Become a Cruiser" by how each defines the qualities that they deem worthy of a cruiser.

Some will require classes passed.. instruction taken..Like crewing to get your "shell back" status..and on and on before you even start to measure up in there eyes.....why?..low self esteem...this is what they had to do in order to be comfortable in their own abilities.
On the other hand you have young bucks like we had recently buy a boat...get some bad advice...ignore some good advice ...set sail and ended up hitting the mommy button because of it...but he sure had a high level of self esteem..and isnt out there tearing any body else down with a nose of arrogance and disdain.

People who tear me down for liking 40+ knot winds are afraid of 40+ knot winds plain and simple..their self esteem is not great enough to admit it so they will conjure up past tragedies that brought death and carnage and site reasons of foolhardy endangerment to others as ammunition to cover up thoes fears.

Your crusty Cruiser is no different..you are a threat to his equilibrium because you represent what he could not do in your time frame ..in your manner...with your limited knowlage..the list is almost endless really and thats the point ..its their list and you dont measure up.

I have low self esteem in areas to..and they mostly all are in dealing with people...not situations..I do my best to not be jealous of..."people skilled"...people..but I never tear them down..as my own self esteem is great enough to admire them and want as Carl Marks said..To try to get membership in their club not keeping to myown or people out of mine.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 22:37   #12

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
IMHO you are a cruiser when you're cruising. One week, one year, one decade. Times not the issue, what you are doing is.

JOHN
Old 12-11-2008, 01:54   #13
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
So we are looking for a definition for a “cruiser”

Here is what I think:

A Cruiser has a direction, but no firm destination. A schedule that is defined in great detail but completely open to revision. A drifter in the nicest sense of that word, but deludes himself that he can actually calculate his set and rate.

His craft is his mistress and his wife actually approves of her to varying degrees. He has a penchant for hording every bit of string and off-cut in case it comes in handy.

Sometimes tormented by the nagging fear that he is running out of time or opportunity, he will resort to racing and you know my feelings about that!...
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 01:56   #14

Boat: Liberty 28 Custom Cutter - "Native Dancer" For Sale
I, personally hate being labeled and certainly don't seek that lofty goal of being labeled a "cruiser". I just happen to be visiting this planet for a brief period and for a little while during that time I'm choosing to do it aboard our little cutter. Anyone who chooses to sail to the wild, exotic ports-of-call in this world are welcome to it. I like the wild places of the Everglades and the Keys where the most tourists rarely venture.

I aspire to at least a brief connection with my "friends" of this watery world. I have no aspirations of being a "cruiser" anymore than I aspire to be labeled any other type of person. If being called a "cruiser" helps with your identity, go for it.

This is just my opinion and I could be wrong!!!
Liberty28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 02:13   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
I too, hope that we’re all a little too complex to be accurately described a a single noun (label).

One doesn’t have to give up one’s job, sell the home , and joint the PGA Tour to call oneself a “golfer” - you merely have to golf.

Likewise, a cruiser is one who cruises*.

Time and distance (& skill, location, etc) would only be quantifying adjectives, modifying the basic noun.

* To cruise (in our context), is to sail (or travel) about on a trip for pleasure, relaxation, or sightseeing, often with stops at various ports.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote