Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2010, 02:39   #1

Boat: Santana 2023 - Impulsive II
Appreciating the Small Things

the other day i was thinking how id like this boat or that boat, or the things i dont like about my current one. i went sailing shortly after and had my army assault pack that i threw in the cabin. of course it falls over unzipped and everything falls out. as im packing everything back in and cursing i saw a folded tag. it was the tag that was tied onto my boot lace during my medivac flight from iraq back into germany. it made me think that after that point i was walking on a cane for 6 months going through repeated surgeries. not knowing if i would be able to surf or sail again. it made me think how lucky i am to be able to enjoy the simple things that i used to take for granted. i put that tag in my wallet so everytime i think im having a really bad day that will remind me of how it could always be worse. and even though i smash my head more times than i can count on my boat, its better than not having one at all
E.L.Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 02:53   #2

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
You are so right!

By the way, thanks for the effort.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:12   #3
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
I keep on board a little vial that carries 2 pieces of kidney stones to remind me to drink more beer….......
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 04:18   #4

"He who is satisfied with what he has is ALREADY rich"

and

"Want is the basis of all unhappiness" (Chinese philosopher's words)
tanksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 05:29   #5
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.L.Green View Post
the other day i was thinking how id like this boat or that boat, or the things i dont like about my current one. i went sailing shortly after and had my army assault pack that i threw in the cabin. of course it falls over unzipped and everything falls out. as im packing everything back in and cursing i saw a folded tag. it was the tag that was tied onto my boot lace during my medivac flight from iraq back into germany. it made me think that after that point i was walking on a cane for 6 months going through repeated surgeries. not knowing if i would be able to surf or sail again. it made me think how lucky i am to be able to enjoy the simple things that i used to take for granted. i put that tag in my wallet so everytime i think im having a really bad day that will remind me of how it could always be worse. and even though i smash my head more times than i can count on my boat, its better than not having one at all

In no small way, I appreciate your service and sacrifice.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:35   #6

Boat: finally a catamaran dive boat...
Send a message via MSN to cdennyb Send a message via Skype™ to cdennyb
thank you...

Quote:
My hats off and my head bowed in a moment of silence to say thank you from my heart for what you and others have let us enjoy for free... because freedom is never free.
Old 11-07-2010, 21:02   #7

thanks guys. i didnt mean to tell the story looking for thank yous but it is appreciated. but its true, all the small things i used to bitch about dont really mean anything. like i said, my boats only 23 ft but its better than no boat at all. just today i was surfing and snapped my board second wave in . i got really pissed then though, ah well. it happens. at least im home and can still enjoy the ocean.
Old 11-07-2010, 23:02   #8

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
thanks guys. i didnt mean to tell the story looking for thank yous but it is appreciated. but its true, all the small things i used to bitch about dont really mean anything. like i said, my boats only 23 ft but its better than no boat at all. just today i was surfing and snapped my board second wave in . i got really pissed then though, ah well. it happens. at least im home and can still enjoy the ocean.
When you think your boats too small or doesn't have this or that, remember Alberto ...Atom Voyages | One With The Oceans - Sailing Across the Pacific by Dugout Canoe
Old 11-07-2010, 23:20   #9

Boat: Skookum 53'
Thank you for your service, and hold that thought, there is much to be thankful for, including having a boat in which you can bang your head on.
Old 11-07-2010, 23:23   #10

its funny how one bang on the head can turn you into having a temporary case of tourrettes syndrome.
Old 21-07-2010, 11:36   #11

Boat: Sundance 23
Quote:
like i said, my boats only 23 ft but its better than no boat at all.
My boat's only 23 foot, but it means the world to me. I'm head over heels in love with my little sailing boat.

And, indeed, thanks for your service, and very glad you can enjoy a somewhat normal life, especially after enduring a heck of a lot of pain.

I salute you. I'm a Vietnam-era vet. (God, I'm getting old).

I'm hoping sailing, even starting at mid-life, will help to keep me young, in mind and body.
Old 21-07-2010, 11:58   #12

Boat: 1973 Hughes 25
Send a message via Yahoo to nosinglesource Send a message via Skype™ to nosinglesource
Sometimes it really is all about the small things, eh? Welcome home...
nosinglesource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2010, 13:03   #13
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
appreciate what you have today--- it might be a whole lot different tomorrow--remember the gulf.....yipes....go now .... do what ye wanna do and see what you wanna see--there may not be another trip--

yup...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote