Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2007, 09:38   #61
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
ahhh yeah ... but Scott? You have to play first, before you can win
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 09:45   #62

Yeah!!!

And during my two visits. I never seen you, or Susan scratching any lottery tickets. Or seen any laying around the boat.

If your gonna play. Ya gotta pay!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 09:56   #63
Kai Nui

I just rely on my friends to play and share the wealth
OK, bottom line is, I regret not going when I was younger and needed less to be comfortable. The longer you wait, the older you get. the older you get, the more you are unwilling or unable to deal with the hardships of minumalist sailing. Perfect example is health insurance. A big expense. When I was in my 20's, it didn't matter to me. When I was in my 30's, not being able to afford it would not have stopped me, but I would prefer to have it. In my 40's, it is way up on the priority list. I expect in my 50's that I won't leave home without it.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:02   #64

Well Scott.

If I win the lottery. I will be more than happy to share the wealth. To only my circle of friends. I will remember you.

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 13:20   #65

Thanks everyone for all your lonely hearts advice........... Never hurts to put out a hook with bait....LOL!!!
live2love1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 16:16   #66

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
Speaking of lotteries, L2L tell everyone you are the sole heir to a rich uncle with a heart condition, might help.
Many years ago my first year at university I wasn't as successful with the ladies as I wanted. Second year I went to all the first year dances and told the first year girls I was at medical school ( a blatant lie). I had a number of intense but short lived romances.
dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 16:36   #67
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Quote:
( a blatant lie).
In love and in war, you can lie, cheat and steal..

I went clubbing some years ago in Anchorage, Alaska and had just read a book about the Russian fighter pilot that stole a MIG 25 and defected to a US airbase in Japan.

Told the girls I was him, Viktor Belengkow. (Knew all the details from the book)

They asked me why I was in Alasaka? Too hide from the KGB of course, that was also the reason I had a full beard..I also spoke with a strong accent.

Long story short, next morning I wake up with this gal that started asking my funny questions: What rank did I have in the Russian Air Force, etc..?

Took me a few minuttes to remember what the hell I had said the night before...

There is still a gal up in Alaska that will swear she slept with KBG's # 1 target, capt. Belengkow...
Old 02-06-2007, 17:37   #68

Boat: 44 footer
Glad I am not alone looking for a lover that wants to see distant places with interesting people...

Betting everyone here is familiar with the stare, much the same as suddenly having a third eye pop out of your forehead. Sail away.

No wonder all the famous sailors, male and female were single for most of their books!
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 10:08   #69

Hard to meet interesting people

Its not easy in this lifetime to meet just that right person. The person that finishes your sentences and laughs at all your jokes. Its easier to meet your lust connection, then it is to make a love connection. I want that person that has the same goals and dreams I do. My personals ad would headline like this "MUST LOVE BOATS!" LOL!!! Once again.... thanks everyone for all your kindness.....
Old 03-06-2007, 22:05   #70
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
" My personals ad would headline like this "MUST LOVE BOATS!" LOL!!! Once again.... thanks everyone for all your kindness....."

DWM - 46, with adventerous spirit seeks active, fun loving female partner for life of cruising Asia and the tropics. Must have own boat. If interested and serious send picture of boat. - LOL.

Good luck L2L. The real key is to hang out where you can meet men and people of similar minds. Join a sailing club or yacht club.

As far as my life plan it finally gelled this year. Sold the house in the states. Bought a condo in a marina in a country with a low cost of living. 2 bedrooms and walk out to private dock. Part II is buy the liveaboard boat within the next 3-5 years.

We all look at life from our perspective. You must understand her POV. She marries a guy who talks about living on a boat and then acts like Mr. Suburbia for 20 years. Hits 40 has a mid-life crisis and she's supposed to dump everything in her "known" world and run off for the adventure? Not!

My wife communicates well but I rarely listen well. When I owned an airplane she said, "For you it's about flying. For me it's about the destination." I finally understood. Our trips then become one day fly, one day tourist. One day fly, two day tourist. She loved it, I loved it.

We are recently back into boating - For me I am sure it's for good. She is saying, "The boats small. I am not interested in retiring on a boat. I want a house on land for my grandkids (when I have them) to come visit."

I wasn't listening. I am now. She has a two bedroom condo at the marina. There is a clubhouse, golf, tennis, restaurants, bars and people. I walk out to my own dock!

We don't live there yet but we now visit on vacations.

Step two will be a boat we can live on for extended periods - When she sees a liveabord sized boat and learns about the destinations I am sure she will grow to love the idea. She just doesn't have a point of reference for what I am talking about right now. If it works we could be at sea for 9 months or more at a time. If it doesn't, she keeps the condo and I keep the boat and file that ad above ;-)

Share the dream but remember it takes two to tango and both people have to know their dreams are working for you to last long term.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 07:16   #71

Boat: 1976 Oday 27' Booty Call
regrets?

Wow, what a fantastic thread. Even though the focus of would you have regrets for NOT cruising, I think any sailor with the taste of salt in their blood wants to be cruising. Life can't have regrets. No matter how old, wise or young and arrogant one is, if you don't strive for your dreams to go cruising, you'll never do what your heart hungers.

Interesting how the thread transitioned into how the regret of not cruising, included how their regret for not cruising as much or as long was due to their significant others personal preferrences.

I'm fortunate, we sail our Oday 27 here on the Great Lakes and my wife was the one who wanted us to move up to the 27' from our previous boat (an Oday 23). She's the admiral, who is also openly telling me that she wants a 40-42' for long distance cruising. She's a nurse and is willing to become a travelling nurse as well.

Do big waves and storms make her nervous? Yes, they do me and I'm a shellback, have crossed the equator 8 times. But still hold respect for her.

For all those here, reach for your dream no matter what. Hopefully it'll be with your significant other at your side and if not....just know adventure and the winds bring many good fortunes your way, sometimes in the most unlikely places!

Great topic though..very enlightening.
Mark
shellback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 13:08   #72

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
Going cruising is the second best thing you can do, going cruising with your wife and family is the best thing you can do.
dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 13:59   #73

I will have to take your word for it!!!

I guess I am going to have to take your word on that last comment...LOL!!! I hope one day to be sharing all my experiences with each and everyone of you. So make sure to keep all the beautiful stories coming and make sure to post lots of pictures, so I can live though you.... Keep on smiling....

Hugs!!!
Old 06-07-2007, 07:04   #74

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
Quote:
Originally Posted by dana-tenacity
My wife had never been on a boat and couldn't swim when I took her and our two daughters (1 & 6) cruising. The first time I put the main up in 10 kn and the boat heeled 5 degrees she screamed.
Three years later she was wrestling the headsail down in 50kn in the Gulf of Papagayo when we were swept by a solid wave, she disappeared for several seconds. When she popped up streaming water she turned to me at the helm and shot me a bird. At the time I thought she had come a long way.
Good luck to all of you, my unsolicited advice is small steps.
You grabbed a winner... what bait were you using??? LOL

I can really see the bird shot and the actual joy she was having... like the L&L mag says... Attitude is the difference between an Ordeal and an Adventure...
Reality Check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 09:25   #75
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Nui
I have been asked many times what I would do if I won the lottery. Usually that question includes what boat would you buy? My answer? I would add some goodies to the boat I have, and spend the rest of the money enjoying it.
This reminds me of a story that Tommy Lasorda, of the LA Dodgers, likes to tell.

A man rushes into his house, bursting with excitement, and yells, "Honey, pack your bags! I won the lottery!"

His wife, no less excited, stammers, "That's great! But what should I pack? Should I be packing for warm weather or cold weather? I don't know where I'm going!"

The still elated man shouts back, "I don't care where you go! Just be out of here by sundown!"

TaoJones