Join CruisersForum Today

Old 09-06-2009, 02:20   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by schoonerdog View Post
I just turned 36.... but...

We moved aboard 11 years ago when I was 25 and cruised when I was 27 & 28. Now my husband and I have a 4 year old son and we're STILL aboard... so he's the kid onboard.

I wrote an article for SAIL Magazine called "The Under 30 Cruising Club", about what it was like cruising in your 20's (compared to the majority 45+ out there) it was in the December 2007 issue (ironically published well after I turned 30)

If I had any idea how to link to it, I would...
Please post the link and promptly give me your job writing for Sail. Thanks, Ben

Old 10-06-2009, 17:19   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67 View Post
Please post the link and promptly give me your job writing for Sail. Thanks, Ben
I don't work for SAIL... I just write for them here and there. I did a few more stories throughout 2008 and have another feature coming up this September.

I wish I could make a full time living out of it. Right now it just keeps me sane and pays for my exotic tea habit.

schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 17:40   #33

Boat: 1979 Hughes 35
Hey Oh!!

We're under 30, I just turned 26 and my girlfriend is 22. We sail the coast of B.C. on our Hughes 35. We plan to do long distance cruising ASAP and hopefully make a lifestyle out of it.

Lots of work to do first though!
Old 11-06-2009, 01:49   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freerider View Post
Hey Oh!!

We're under 30, I just turned 26 and my girlfriend is 22. We sail the coast of B.C. on our Hughes 35. We plan to do long distance cruising ASAP and hopefully make a lifestyle out of it.

Lots of work to do first though!
hey oh!
Old 11-06-2009, 03:02   #35

Boat: Between boats
Send a message via MSN to Hampus
I've sailed most of my life. I've been a boat owner since I was 21. I'm now on my third and possibly last boat I'm 29, not from a wealthy family and all of the boats were paid for by me or me and girlfriend. Being viewed as a spoiled brat and/or inexperienced new sailor with too big a boat is unfortunately not too uncommon.

Avarage age in the sailing clubs around here is around 50. The marina where we currently keep our boat is a bit different though. Lots of younger people and avarage age is probably around 40.

/Hampus
Old 11-06-2009, 08:12   #36

Boat: McGregor venture 15 "IMP"
Just purchased my first boat as a learner for the days of cruising up ahead. I am twenty and sure am glad that we have more experienced sailors for their wisdom and stories. Thanks to older sailors for keeping the passion of sailing.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:57   #37

Boat: Maine Cat 41
Here is what Don Street (a really old guy!) recommended to us at a seminar in Newport, RI.

*Sail to the Virgins then
*Sail to Grenada then
*Sail up (north) the windwards, leewards, VIs, Jamaica etc. back towards home before the hurricane season.

IMHO your plan is too ambitious (covers an awful lot of water and the time is too short).

For me, it would be like having a series of long weekends where I would be thrilled to be in "x' island the first day and then worrying about getting to the next island, the weather, the little boat repairs, groceries, fuel etc every other day.

Good Luck,
Let us know what you decide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtownH20 View Post
thanks for the words of wisdom, its nice to hear experienced opinions and not just talk from guys who havent left the bay/marina in 10 years.

the 7 month thing is to be back by hurricane season.

i have given thought to spending the season below 12 deg but that seems that it would extend the trip to 16-18 months. it seems we could do greenadines, trin & tob, ABC, cartegena & san blas during the hurricane season without being stuck in one spot for too long.

im sure there are many threads on it, but how do others handle hurricane season in southern, western caribbean, lattitudes. as that is where we would likely be if we didnt get back by June.

we also want to keep a large financial cusion for our return as the wife is thinking about going back to school.

i like the figure of 10k for the trip. we are always budget minded and our grocery and nightlife bills are less than $600 /month for the two of us.

we are open minded as to the route home. but going that way seemed better than going back through the bahamas.

the only thing we have set is to make it to the virgin islands for the boat owner. anything afterthat is up to us. we could go back via jamaica, caymans, cuba, but it seemed like multiple large jumps between islands.

and we got some friends in cartegena as well.

i would like everyones opinions, coming back the way we came is still certainly an option, but i would rather not.

talk to me people as this is my planning stage, the boat is almost ready.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:49   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108 & 1976 Sabre 28
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
The demographics of at least cruising sailors has changed drastically in the 50 years I've been sailing. When we did SoPac in the mid '70s most of us were hovering around 30. There were a few old cusses in their 40s and that was about it. Boats were mostly around 30' which probably reflected the net worth of their owners. We scraped and scrounged to stay out with many working their way along the trade wind routes.

Today I see pictures of anchorages and they seem to be stuffed with 40'+ boats and owners who are enjoying their Social Security Checks. The most questions are how they can keep their 800 amp hour battery bank charged with the A/C, refrigeration, and home entertainment systems running. Discussions on what you need to go cruising usually start with a 40' boat with enought toys and gear to sink Queen Elizabeths bank account as a bare minimum.

Cruising seems to have gone from the adventurous, but limited means, young, to the well heeled geriatric set. Hey, I resemble that remark though not so well heeled. Wonder where all those 30'ish cruisers went?? Have we lost the youth in sailing.

Aloha
Peter O.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:55   #39
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Well, think about it . . . the mid-30 cruising crowd of the mid-'70s would now be the mid-60 cruising crowd. They're just as adventurous, if perhaps better off, and they are not embarrassed to treat themselves to some of the nicer amenities that a life well-lived deserves.

TaoJones
Old 11-06-2009, 16:04   #40

Here's the interesting blog of a cruiser under 30:
Hobo Sailor

Not me though, but I wish I was him. And I already passed that mark...
Old 11-06-2009, 16:42   #41

Boat: Gullfstar 50
It is not age that matters (or counts), it is the cut of your jib and the water passed under the keel.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:54   #42

Boat: Sunkyong Marine Ltd. 37' Sedan Trawler - Savannah
I don't own a sailboat, but I am under 30. My wife and I live aboard our 37' single engine trawler. We're at a dock because we're working and saving for the next step. We almost bought a sailboat instead of the trawler, but the broker was completely unresponsive. The average age of the marina in Florida were we lived for awhile was probably just under 50. Our current marina on the Tenn River (a 1550 mile voyage away) is much higher. I'd say that crowd is easily 60+ on average. The next youngest person on the dock is a 46 year old wife.
I would have to agree that age doesn't necessarily relate to experience. We have the only single engine boat on the dock (one of few in the marina) and I can back it into our slip on a windy day better than at least half the others could do on a calm day with their twins. About half are bow-in. I don't own a sailboat at the moment, but I have before and probably will again. I really wish that other younger people were into boating other than ski boats and such. I'm sure it's due to cul-de-sac dreams that most younger people aren't willing or able to do it and that's a shame. The older crowd can be fun, but it is rather pathetic when the weekend crowd is in bed by 8:30.
Old 13-06-2009, 02:36   #43
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
The demographics of at least cruising sailors has changed drastically in the 50 years I've been sailing. When we did SoPac in the mid '70s most of us were hovering around 30. There were a few old cusses in their 40s and that was about it. Boats were mostly around 30' which probably reflected the net worth of their owners. We scraped and scrounged to stay out with many working their way along the trade wind routes.
Peter O.
I do see the few vagabondy youths in San Diego Harbor with some pretty crappy boats. It bums me out to hear older people who are better off scoffing at their boats and living arrangements. Come to think of it, of the few under thirties out there that I know none of them have nice boats at all. The under thirties in the marina we used to live in had blown out their jib in the first few weeks of boat ownership and showed no interest in sailing or even getting it fixed. Another friend of ours has a steel ketch that isn't a ketch at all anymore because his mizen rigging needed work and he didn't have money to get the job done so he took it down. That is triage at its finest. I, for one, would rather not eat than have a crappy run down boat. Get the job done and do it right or else buy a trailer sailor and have cheap fun with it, no harm in either one.
Old 13-06-2009, 03:25   #44
Wayfaring Mariner

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Skookum 53'
"It bums me out to hear older people who are better off scoffing at their boats and living arrangements."

Or else just do your own thing and don't listen to the scoffers. Who are you living your life for anyway?
Old 13-06-2009, 08:15   #45
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I agree with Captain 58, just ignore them. But, if you feel the need to engage them, you might point out that few people are born with a silver spoon in their mouths, including most of those who are now better off and scoffing. If most were honest, they would acknowledge that they had to work hard to get where they now are - most, in fact, would brag about how hard they worked to climb the ladder of success.

The funny part is that without those further "down market" to buy the old boats these former hard workers started with, they'd be stuck with them. It's often a process of selling a less desirable vessel to acquire a better one, so without the entry of those at whom they scoff, these blowhards would never have the opportunity to feel so superior - truly despicable, ignorant behavior.

Of course, it isn't restricted to the yachting community - it is apparent with cars, houses, you-name-it. It seems to be endemic in those of a certain mentality. Sadly, as many of the currently relatively-impoverished begin doing better financially, they, too, will put on airs and look down their noses at the less-well-off.

'Twas ever thus . . .

TaoJones

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: