Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2012, 11:33   #16

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Any Other SCUBA Divers on the Forum?

Somewhere around here I've got my old SSI certification card from 1982. Ironically, now that I live in a region where thousands of people travel to dive every year -- I don't dive anymore!
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 11:48   #17

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

I have a restricted scuba diver certificate, but mostly use it for doing underwater work on the boat.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:54   #18

Boat: S2-9.2 CC & IP40

My husband and I are both certified and have been for more years than we care to remember. I got mine on Long Island. NY. We both still love to dive.
WebWench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 12:15   #19

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

My old Navy boss in the 70s, LT Virginia Wallace Nibbs, used to dive with Costeau's son in Louisiana. She was a youngster then and had a crush on him. E. R. Cross, who's dive adventures were featured in "Sea Hunt" was one of my wife's acquaintances in Honolulu in the early 80s. Naui diver here and was a diver for a few years before I qualified. Shame on me but I needed to do some boat bottom cleaning.
Just dove on an International Folkboat this last Monday to remove the rudder. Had some trailing edge damage and a broken center gudgeon. Bummer. Hope to get it repaired and back on in a week.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:08   #20

Boat: 1998 PDQ 36 Capella Classic

My PADI Open Water cert was done in 1982. Still diving today!
Krakato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:20   #21

Boat: Cheoy Lee, MS 43'

My cert is inline with my time in the service(Air Force). We did not have ID cards, we all knew eachother. (just kidding)
DaveWalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:52   #22

Boat: Santana2023

Ive got a few dives under my belt.

Click image for larger version

Name:	<a title=photo.jpg Views: 181 Size: 49.3 KB ID: 46224" style="margin: 2px" />
DivingOtter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:01   #23

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Got mine in high school in 1960. Later recertified in 1964 while at UCLA. Then got to be a support diver for Operation Sealab, and got a chance to hang with Cousteau and Phillipe. Then certified with USC to work at the Catalina Marine Science Center in the early '80s. Now I need to recertify because my old paper cards with no numbers don't hack it with dive shops to fill my tanks. You go with the flow.

Nice Kirby-Morgan DivingOtter.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 15:41   #24
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

My first dive was in 62, when I was 12. UDT friend of my fathers. Healthways double hose regulator. Got an NASDS certification course when I was 18. Lost that along the way. Tried to contact them once to see if I could get a replacement but was told all the records burned in a fire. Didn't matter. I used SCUBA for years diving all over the world in my oceanographic career. Never had an issue getting a tank filled, but I wasn't doing it at tourist shops. For most of the long term programs where I dove (Guyana, NJ, NW Australia, New England) I would buy a compressor for the job. Usually Makos, as I recall. Now, after 50 years of diving, I use a Brownies Third Lung hookah. I love the thing.

I still have an old SOS decomp meter if anyone collects antiques. I've done my last decompression stop if I have anything to say about it.
Old 17-09-2012, 20:41   #25

His instructor number was P-5511 in 1976 ( PADI ) Dive master was my last cert level 1977. Logged I think 10 dives...Been on dozens of open water checkouts including in January in southern Ontario Canada ( had to hack the ice with a hatchet for rescue diver class). (Dear old Dad.)
justlearnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 20:44   #26
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhward1337 View Post
My PADI Open Water cert was done in 1982. Still diving today!
Rookie!! I got my C-card in 1972. Also certified NASDS Divemaster, PADI Master Instructor, and NAUI Instructor Trainer. (Currently Instructor Emeritus.)

Logged 5,000 dives before I stopped counting.
Old 17-09-2012, 21:00   #27
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
My first dive was in 62, when I was 12. UDT friend of my fathers. Healthways double hose regulator. Got an NASDS certification course when I was 18. Lost that along the way. Tried to contact them once to see if I could get a replacement but was told all the records burned in a fire. Didn't matter. I used SCUBA for years diving all over the world in my oceanographic career. Never had an issue getting a tank filled, but I wasn't doing it at tourist shops. For most of the long term programs where I dove (Guyana, NJ, NW Australia, New England) I would buy a compressor for the job. Usually Makos, as I recall. Now, after 50 years of diving, I use a Brownies Third Lung hookah. I love the thing.

I still have an old SOS decomp meter if anyone collects antiques. I've done my last decompression stop if I have anything to say about it.
Wow.

I was trained to buddy breathe on a Healthways double-hose regulator, but never owned one. Nasty things! I did own a set of Healthways fins, which were more stiff than two-by-fours. Shortly after Scubapro took them over, I became a member of their Test Dive Team. Been diving their gear ever since. I've owned at least a dozen pairs of their fins, and never paid for one until a couple years ago. (Instructors Emeritus don't get swag.) Sigh.

Owned a decomp meter as well. Bigger than your fist, and half as smart. Worked perfectly with the Navy tables, until it got rusty.

Still have my NASDS C-card. It's not "Open Water." Just "Basic."
Old 17-09-2012, 22:12   #28

Boat: Lagoon 440
Send a message via Skype™ to impi

Just dived on the RMS Rhone off Salt Island in the BVI's ... great fun and a nice dive indeed!
impi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 23:07   #29

My PADI open water cert was done in 1986 out of Lake Worth, FL. Instructor No. 14219 JD Duff Don't remember the name of the school exactly, but an elderly lady owned it and did go on a few of the dives.
lancelot9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 20:25   #30

I was certified in Pueblo, Colorado by a NASDS school. I heard NASDS no longer exists, so I reckon I'll be taking classes again!
lostsheep is offline   Reply With Quote