Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2016, 07:19   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch
Re: Any 80+ Year young full-time cruisers?

I have cruising friends who just switched from sail to 'steam.'
It was getting hard to handle the lines on their annual sails from Annapolis north to Maine and back. Oh, did I mention he's 97 and she's 94? They are still at it... Keep at it and you'll live a long life!!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 09:47   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Berg View Post
I have cruising friends who just switched from sail to 'steam.'
It was getting hard to handle the lines on their annual sails from Annapolis north to Maine and back. Oh, did I mention he's 97 and she's 94? They are still at it... Keep at it and you'll live a long life!!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Amazing. Who knows what propulsion systems well have in the future. All solar? Mini reactors? or even ultra light but as strong as steel sails. One thing is forever sure as slow as things advance, advance they do.

Your sailors in there 90's are I am sure an inspiration to those touching their 80's and for those like me much younger.

What has been confirmed is that you CAN plan on having the next stage of your life on the water until the last sunset.

Perhaps it would make a great documentary. Interviews of of senior, senior sailors.

Thanks everyone for your contributions.

Chaya
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 19:13   #18

Boat: Westsail 32

I turned 79 a week and a half ago. I live on my ship and I feel great, although I have a couple of the things that go with being 79.

The medical people say that when you can walk 1/3 of a mile you're going to live for 6 more years. I walk about 2 miles a day, according to my pedometer. 1/3 goes into 2 6 times, so I'm going to live for 6 X 6 = 36 more years, on this boat.
Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 19:18   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymore View Post
I turned 79 a week and a half ago. I live on my ship and I feel great, although I have a couple of the things that go with being 79.

The medical people say that when you can walk 1/3 of a mile you're going to live for 6 more years. I walk about 2 miles a day, according to my pedometer. 1/3 goes into 2 6 times, so I'm going to live for 6 X 6 = 36 more years, on this boat.
I like your maths. :big grin:
Old 03-09-2016, 23:29   #20

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
I won't reach 80 for another 18 months, but I have greaat hopes of continuing cruising at t hat time. One never knows...

It is undeniable that aging reduces strength, agility and "immortality" in general. Our sailing style has become gentler, we fly the kite less often and reef earlier and so far that has accommodated our general degeneration.

Jim
You have 7 years on me Jim but I hope I am still going at 80, living aboard and able to still single hand.

Differences between now and when I started cruising full time at about 59 are that I now take the genaker down before the boat gets out of control and don't run aground so often.

Biggest change, I am changing to a FG IP40 from the steely because I am getting too lazy to properly maintain the steely.

As a lifestyle it beats the hell out of rotting in front of a TV in the suburbs whilst you wait to die.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 00:35   #21

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Bob Shepton was 75 in this vid...

Still at it at 80 Skipper & Delivery Services by Bob Shepton - About
Old 04-09-2016, 02:14   #22

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

I will turn 71 in a few days and the admiral is 69 - we still sail at a reasonably high level as we are trying to get around the Black Sea this year - we know we got a few years of this type of sailing left but sooner or later we will have to slow down a bit -

we walk a lot, eat well, and when in port take care to get extra rest - I use to be a rock climber/mountaineer and pushed that fairly hard until I got to the point that I knew I had to quit for safety reasons - hope I have the good sense here as well - but for right now we are pushing hard with a lot more to see and experience
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 14:16   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Thanks EL Pinguino for sharing this video. Amazing he's still doing sailboat delivery service at 80. What an inspiration.
Old 04-09-2016, 14:18   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
I will turn 71 in a few days and the admiral is 69 - we still sail at a reasonably high level as we are trying to get around the Black Sea this year - we know we got a few years of this type of sailing left but sooner or later we will have to slow down a bit -

we walk a lot, eat well, and when in port take care to get extra rest - I use to be a rock climber/mountaineer and pushed that fairly hard until I got to the point that I knew I had to quit for safety reasons - hope I have the good sense here as well - but for right now we are pushing hard with a lot more to see and experience
One of the things I'm learning is the importance of physical exercise along with nutritional eating. Or healthy eating as is commonly said. I wish you and your wife many, many more active years ahead. Thanks for sharing.

Kind regards,
Chaya

Tags
cruise, cruiser