Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2016, 07:19   #16
Marine Service Provider
 
Scott Berg's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Aboard
Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch
Posts: 910
Re: Any 80+ Year young full-time cruisers?

I have cruising friends who just switched from sail to 'steam.'
It was getting hard to handle the lines on their annual sails from Annapolis north to Maine and back. Oh, did I mention he's 97 and she's 94? They are still at it... Keep at it and you'll live a long life!!


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________

__________________
Scott Berg
WAĜLSS
SV CHARDONNAY
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 09:47   #17
Registered User
 
GoingWalkabout's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: USA & Argentina
Boat: In the market for a Lagoon 56 (seems like the perfect fit)
Posts: 1,461
Re: Any 80+ Year young full-time cruisers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Berg View Post
I have cruising friends who just switched from sail to 'steam.'
It was getting hard to handle the lines on their annual sails from Annapolis north to Maine and back. Oh, did I mention he's 97 and she's 94? They are still at it... Keep at it and you'll live a long life!!


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Amazing. Who knows what propulsion systems well have in the future. All solar? Mini reactors? or even ultra light but as strong as steel sails. One thing is forever sure as slow as things advance, advance they do.

Your sailors in there 90's are I am sure an inspiration to those touching their 80's and for those like me much younger.

What has been confirmed is that you CAN plan on having the next stage of your life on the water until the last sunset.

Perhaps it would make a great documentary. Interviews of of senior, senior sailors.

Thanks everyone for your contributions.



Chaya
__________________

__________________
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 19:13   #18
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Niagara Falls
Boat: Westsail 32
Posts: 315
Re: Any 80+ Year young full-time cruisers?

I turned 79 a week and a half ago. I live on my ship and I feel great, although I have a couple of the things that go with being 79.

The medical people say that when you can walk 1/3 of a mile you're going to live for 6 more years. I walk about 2 miles a day, according to my pedometer. 1/3 goes into 2 6 times, so I'm going to live for 6 X 6 = 36 more years, on this boat.
__________________
Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 19:18   #19
Registered User
 
GoingWalkabout's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: USA & Argentina
Boat: In the market for a Lagoon 56 (seems like the perfect fit)
Posts: 1,461
Re: Any 80+ Year young full-time cruisers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymore View Post
I turned 79 a week and a half ago. I live on my ship and I feel great, although I have a couple of the things that go with being 79.

The medical people say that when you can walk 1/3 of a mile you're going to live for 6 more years. I walk about 2 miles a day, according to my pedometer. 1/3 goes into 2 6 times, so I'm going to live for 6 X 6 = 36 more years, on this boat.
I like your maths. :big grin:
__________________
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 23:29   #20
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Australia
Boat: Island Packet 40
Posts: 1,356
Images: 7
Re: Any 80+ Year young full-time cruisers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
I won't reach 80 for another 18 months, but I have greaat hopes of continuing cruising at t hat time. One never knows...

It is undeniable that aging reduces strength, agility and "immortality" in general. Our sailing style has become gentler, we fly the kite less often and reef earlier and so far that has accommodated our general degeneration.

Jim
You have 7 years on me Jim but I hope I am still going at 80, living aboard and able to still single hand.

Differences between now and when I started cruising full time at about 59 are that I now take the genaker down before the boat gets out of control and don't run aground so often.

Biggest change, I am changing to a FG IP40 from the steely because I am getting too lazy to properly maintain the steely.

As a lifestyle it beats the hell out of rotting in front of a TV in the suburbs whilst you wait to die.
__________________
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 00:35   #21
Registered User
 
El Pinguino's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Back on Campo el Pinguino.. Boat in Puerto Williams, Chile
Boat: 39' Westerly Sealord
Posts: 3,624
Re: Any 80+ Year young full-time cruisers?

Bob Shepton was 75 in this vid...

Still at it at 80 Skipper & Delivery Services by Bob Shepton - About
El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 02:14   #22
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Underway in the Med -
Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates
Posts: 1,854
Images: 1
Re: Any 80+ Year young full-time cruisers?

I will turn 71 in a few days and the admiral is 69 - we still sail at a reasonably high level as we are trying to get around the Black Sea this year - we know we got a few years of this type of sailing left but sooner or later we will have to slow down a bit -

we walk a lot, eat well, and when in port take care to get extra rest - I use to be a rock climber/mountaineer and pushed that fairly hard until I got to the point that I knew I had to quit for safety reasons - hope I have the good sense here as well - but for right now we are pushing hard with a lot more to see and experience
__________________
just our thoughts and opinions
chuck and svsoulmates
underway in Eastern Med
chuckr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 14:16   #23
Registered User
 
GoingWalkabout's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: USA & Argentina
Boat: In the market for a Lagoon 56 (seems like the perfect fit)
Posts: 1,461
Re: Any 80+ Year young full-time cruisers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Thanks EL Pinguino for sharing this video. Amazing he's still doing sailboat delivery service at 80. What an inspiration.
__________________
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 14:18   #24
Registered User
 
GoingWalkabout's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: USA & Argentina
Boat: In the market for a Lagoon 56 (seems like the perfect fit)
Posts: 1,461
Re: Any 80+ Year young full-time cruisers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
I will turn 71 in a few days and the admiral is 69 - we still sail at a reasonably high level as we are trying to get around the Black Sea this year - we know we got a few years of this type of sailing left but sooner or later we will have to slow down a bit -

we walk a lot, eat well, and when in port take care to get extra rest - I use to be a rock climber/mountaineer and pushed that fairly hard until I got to the point that I knew I had to quit for safety reasons - hope I have the good sense here as well - but for right now we are pushing hard with a lot more to see and experience
One of the things I'm learning is the importance of physical exercise along with nutritional eating. Or healthy eating as is commonly said. I wish you and your wife many, many more active years ahead. Thanks for sharing.

Kind regards,
Chaya
__________________

__________________
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cruise, cruiser

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any Young Cruisers Setting Out Soon ? youmeandthed Our Community 61 19-04-2013 05:31
Check out Blog of 25 Year Olds Full Time Cruising ! Ocean Roads Cruising News & Events 4 13-02-2012 08:11


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:41.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.