Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2010, 14:51   #91
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonytek View Post
I have been unable to find clear regs on what vessels are legally allowed to do to repel pirates. What are the COLREGS on this?

Somali pirates attach in small fast boats with larger mothership nearby, SCCS attacks with small fast boat with larger mothership nearby.
Somali pirates fire projectiles and try to disable ships, SCCS throw and fire projectiles and try to disable ships.
Somali pirates get boarders on board to disrupt operations, SCCS gets boarders on board to disrupt operations.
Somali pirates (as far as I know) don't ram and sink ships, SCCS claims to have rammed and/or sunk over 10 ships.
Obvious conclusion...SCCS is worse than Somali pirates.

What regs, rule or law of the sea (beyond the saintly good will of the Japanese seamen, or cost) keeps the Japanese from using their guns (whaling ships do carry guns for whaling purposes) or harpoons (whaling ships carry harpoons, maybe even the explosive tipped harpoons the SCCS complains about) to fend off these pirates?
Where did you find they sunk 10 ships, its the first ive heard of that one, please post a link-i did not see that on there website
Old 07-01-2010, 14:55   #92

See if that works right. An interesting video of a Sea Shepherd ship ramming a whaler...
Old 07-01-2010, 15:04   #93

Hey harmonytec - you forgot one interesting difference between Somali pirates and Sea Shepherd:

- Somali pirates are motivated by a desire to commit illegal activity (theft, kidnapping) against law-abiding vessels: Sea Shepherd are motivated by a desire to stop illegal activity (whaling in specific locations) by the vessels indulging in those illegal activities...

Anyhoo - back to the collision (sorry mods).

This is another good example of the failure of COLREGS to be credible as an international convention. By ratifying COLREGS, nations including the New Zealand Government committed to enacting AND ENFORCING legislation which required vessels registered in that nation to comply while in international waters. There is now a huge amount of video evidence of the Ady Gil deliberately flaunting COLREGS (on this and many other occasions), yet the NZ Government has taken no steps whatsoever to prosecute.

COLREGS are often described as the "rules of the road at sea". But when enforcing bodies do nothing to enforce them, it's akin to the highway patrol watching traffic footage of deliberate dangerous driving by an easily-identifiable vehicle, and failing to take any action against the offender.
Old 07-01-2010, 15:34   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonytek View Post
I have been unable to find clear regs on what vessels are legally allowed to do to repel pirates. What are the COLREGS on this?
You won't find anything in the colregs because there is nothing there...

The International Maritime Bureau (IMB) Reporting Center deals with this, go to the website and check out what they have to say on Piracy...

IMB Piracy Reporting Centre

They communicate with governments and there respective law enforcement agencies to formulate responses, but ultimatley the Flag State will issue guidelines to Ship owners sailing under there flag on how to react.
The shipping company i work for has a Ship Security Plan (SSP) drawn up, which is required for survey on most IMO registered vessels these days, on how we are to conduct ourselves in the event of a threat, but these are confidential and not for public viewing...

And technically this is not piracy, piracy can be defined as: hijacking on the high seas or in similar contexts; taking a ship or plane away from the control of those who are legally entitled to it...

In any event, Piracy on the high seas is an issue that most governments tend to shy away from if they can...

Mods, my appologies for wandering of topic....
Old 07-01-2010, 15:56   #95

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by jholder View Post

See if that works right. An interesting video of a Sea Shepherd ship ramming a whaler...
fantastic isnt it

Sea shepherd probably took out a couple of hundred thousand dollars worth of winches (they have used this tactic before) without damaging the seaworthiness of the vessel, unlike what the whalers did to earthrace.

Damaging the pirate whalers vessel in this fashion renders the activity financially unviable and prevents further whaling activities from that vessel until gear is replaced/repaired.
Old 07-01-2010, 16:01   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
fantastic isnt it.
I don't think a vessel ramming another is fantastic at all. No matter who is on the receiving end...
Old 07-01-2010, 16:11   #97
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
fantastic isnt it

Sea shepherd probably took out a couple of hundred thousand dollars worth of winches (they have used this tactic before) without damaging the seaworthiness of the vessel, unlike what the whalers did to earthrace.

Damaging the pirate whalers vessel in this fashion renders the activity financially unviable and prevents further whaling activities from that vessel until gear is replaced/repaired.
I'm shaking my head here. Hopefully you said that in jest.If not, it would have to pass as one of the most irresponsible comments I have read on this forum.
Old 07-01-2010, 16:23   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTies View Post
I'm shaking my head here. Hopefully you said that in jest.If not, it would have to pass as one of the most irresponsible comments I have read on this forum.
I see sea shepherds methods, incapacitating illegal whalers and even sinking of unmanned illegal whalers in port, to be no different than the actions of the police in confiscating and crushing the vehicles of illegal street racers.

If it was the Australian Navy doing it or the USCG, would you be saying the same? After all they would merely be enforcing the law.

Perhaps you feel that military intervention with live firing would be a better outcome, but politically I do not think the same.
Old 07-01-2010, 16:28   #99
cruiser

Firstly, if the whaling was illegal then NZ and/or Oz governments would do something about it.
Secondly, Sea Sheperd have no legal mandate to do what they are doing and have no military training.
Thirdly, the Japanese are not combatants and should not be exposed to this sort of terrorism
Fourthly, consider the environmental impact that Sea Sheperds actions are likely to lead to
Are you a supporter of vigilante justice?
Old 07-01-2010, 16:34   #100

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Hey, Hey, Hey...

If you liked what the self appointed "Sea Shepherds" did to the Japanese Whaleing fleet,

You'll love what PETA has is store for the Meat Packing Industry in the USA--

Unless, of course, your're one of those "animals" that actually eats meat....
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 07-01-2010, 16:51   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTies View Post
Are you a supporter of vigilante justice?
Not when the authorities are in place doing the job.

If the authorities aren't in place then in some instances yes.

For example, if I saw someone attacking another that was unable to defend themselves would I do something about it? Too right I would.

Going by your comments I take it you would condemn me as a vigilante?

Would you feel the same way if it was your mother being attacked and I just stood by and watched?
Old 07-01-2010, 16:57   #102
cruiser

Go back to point one. It has not been deemed to be illegal. It is not you I condemn as a vigilante but the irresponsible Sea Sheperds.
Old 07-01-2010, 17:09   #103

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Its amazing the willingness of the costly tactics in the videos to their own equipment used here when the individuals are not personally required to foot the bill for their loses.

Donators I hope are concerned.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Old 07-01-2010, 17:25   #104

Boat: 34' Searunner Tri

Towing a drogue just before impact. watch the whole video here:

First guess is they had a drogue designed to tangle the props on the big ship. Netting or maybe synthetic ropes (would be best) They crossed his bow, swung around and slowly idled to watch the show. In another video it shows the Tri in fwd. gear at idle or so. Makes sense if they are towing something.......... Then it went bad.....but will turn out for lots of good ($$$$) for the numbskull's.
Old 07-01-2010, 17:31   #105

Boat: 34' Searunner Tri

Is the video just before and during impact. Look at the Tri slowly motoring ahead. Into the path of the ship! And towing a drogue is why. So much for avoidance tactics. But that is not the mission statement for these guys. It is to engage and harass. Oooooooops!
Closed Thread