Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2010, 13:56   #46
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
Same boat & same skipper that rammed and killed a fishing boat crew off Guatemala in their ill conceived attempt to publicise the benefits of bio-fuel (You know, replacing food crops with fuel crops.)
Old 06-01-2010, 14:47   #47

Has anyone else noticed the correlation between those willing to use a commonly recognized ethnic slur (in this instance "Jap") and a certain political, umm shall we say "outlook"? Nice to know that some things never change.
Old 06-01-2010, 14:49   #48

Somthing like this was always going to happen, thankfully no one was killed or seriously hurt...

Irrespective of what led upto the collision, you NEVER turn towards a vessel in a close quarters situation, which in both videos available the Whaler clearly did...

If he had wheeled to port i doubt we would be having this discussion...
Old 06-01-2010, 14:49   #49
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Necessity View Post
Has anyone else noticed the correlation between those willing to use a commonly recognized ethnic slur (in this instance "Jap") and a certain political, umm shall we say "outlook"? Nice to know that some things never change.
nope, i used the word Jap because it was faster than spelling it all the way out!
Old 06-01-2010, 14:52   #50
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandHopper View Post
Somthing like this was always going to happen, thankfully no one was killed or seriously hurt...

Irrespective of what led upto the collision, you NEVER turn towards a vessel in a close quarters situation, which in both videos available the Whaler clearly did...

If he had wheeled to port i doubt we would be having this discussion...
If they had turned to port I'm pretty sure their props would have minced the Ady Gil.
Old 06-01-2010, 15:00   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTies View Post
If they had turned to port I'm pretty sure their props would have minced the Ady Gil.
No they would'nt, at the most it would have been a glancing blow...

Even if he maintained course the outcome would have been preferable to what happend, instead he turned to starboard and increased the likelyhood of collision...
Old 06-01-2010, 15:03   #52

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTies View Post
And if the held their original course, the props wouldnt have minced them and their would have been no collission

BANZAI
Old 06-01-2010, 15:10   #53

Boat: C&C Mega 30
watching both videos, in the one from the whaler, I have a hard time distinguishing the movements of the ship, I think much of what I think is the ship maneuvering is the camera moving / zooming... I'm pretty sure this is a handheld camcorder.

On the video from the Sea Shepherds, the whaler made an obvious turn to port after they hit the speedboat. I've never steered anything near that big, but I'm pretty sure it takes a little time for the helmsman's input on the wheel to make the boat change direction.

I suppose they could've been steering to the stern of the speedboat, until it stopped or began reversing. And then to port, but not soon enough. I can't really tell, and yes, this is an assumption biased on the thought that they were actively trying to avoid running the boat over.

Either way, if they were following any standards for maritime collision avoidance, the speedboat wouldn't have been right in front of the whaler to begin with.

But they should've shut off, or turned away the water cannons once it was obvious they smashed the hell out of them.
Old 06-01-2010, 15:11   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
And if the held their original course, the props wouldnt have minced them and their would have been no collission
Exactly, he had more chance of mincing them by doing what he did...

Don't get me wrong, i am not defending the actions of the Ady Gil, but i would have expected a bit more of a professional attitude from the master of the whaler...
Old 06-01-2010, 15:15   #55

Quote:
I always thought that vessels engaged in fishing had right of way. Is whaling considered fishing. So lets assume this is a fishing boat and a crazy looking power boat with a pirate flag appears and acts threatening uhh is threatening. As a last ditch effort to save the vessel the fishing boat runs into the pirate boat. Got to think the fishing boat wins in court.
That was a Japanese security boat that collided with the Batboat.
Old 06-01-2010, 15:22   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannago View Post
watching both videos, in the one from the whaler, I have a hard time distinguishing the movements of the ship, I think much of what I think is the ship maneuvering is the camera moving / zooming... I'm pretty sure this is a handheld camcorder.
If you look at the one from the whaler you can clearly see the wake from the other vessel (i'm assuming it's the Bob Barker) at the top of the screen which is basicly running parrarel to the whaler, as the whaler turns to starboard you can clearly see the bow swinging towards the wake...

Look carefully...
Old 06-01-2010, 15:26   #57

Boat: PETERSON 44
Okay I give up What the hell are Bob Barker ,Batman and a secret Japanese security boat doing down there.
Im willing to go down there and stop them I'm pretty sure I can convince all or one of them to stop I Just need 10 Million Dollars.
Old 06-01-2010, 15:34   #58

Boat: C&C Mega 30
pirate

maybe these sea shepherds should outsource there work to the Somalis...
Old 06-01-2010, 15:35   #59
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandHopper View Post
No they would'nt, at the most it would have been a glancing blow...

Even if he maintained course the outcome would have been preferable to what happend, instead he turned to starboard and increased the likelyhood of collision...
Umm, has nobody seen the effect of turning away from a likely collision in extremely close quarters??? The effect is invariably the smaller vessel collides with the stern as it swings away from the turn and is drawn into the negative pressure side of the propellors. A glancing blow maybe but the potential for very serious outcome. Very basic rule in man overboard situation on larger vessels, turn TOWARD the side that the person fell from.
Old 06-01-2010, 15:41   #60
cruiser

Navis.gr - Man-overboard Manoeuvres
Closed Thread