Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2010, 17:42   #106
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
String them up

Terrorism is the systematic use of terror especially as a means of coercion.[1] At present, there is no internationally agreed definition of terrorism.[2][3] Common definitions of terrorism refer only to those violent acts which are intended to create fear (terror), are perpetrated for an ideological goal (as opposed to a lone attack), and deliberately target or disregard the safety of non-combatants (civilians).

Piracy is a war-like act committed by private parties (not affiliated with any government) that engaged in acts of robbery and/or criminal violence at sea.
Old 07-01-2010, 17:43   #107

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTies View Post
Go back to point one. It has not been deemed to be illegal. It is not you I condemn as a vigilante but the irresponsible Sea Sheperds.
Really?

They are according to these articles <<< click link

Quote:
Japanese whaling within Australian waters in Antarctica is illegal and should be stopped, a court ruled on Tuesday.
http://www.newscientist.com/article/...g-illegal.html
Quote:
These waters include a 200-mile wide stretch adjacent to Australia's Antarctic territory, in which more than 1300 whales were killed by Japanese company Kyodo Senpaku Kaisha between 2000 and 2006, estimates Humane Society International.
http://www.environment.gov.au/coasts...sanctuary.html

Quote:
"These are Australian waters - Australia claims these waters - and this has been a major maritime incident that had occurred within those waters.

"There are significant safety of life at sea implications and indeed Australia has responsibility for safety of life at sea within these waters.

"But also I think that merely the presence of an Australian vessel down there would seek to cool some of the tension which has inevitably arisen and may well continue to arise."
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...07/2787014.htm

I take it you are pro whaling then?
Old 07-01-2010, 17:45   #108

+1 for Cat man do's comments. It was fantastic.

I think most Australians are very much in support of the efforts of Sea Shepherd. Leaving the whaling debate aside, the Japanese are illegally fishing in Australian territory.
Old 07-01-2010, 17:46   #109
cruiser

I am not pro whaling but I am pro truth. What the Japanese are doing has not been deemed to be illegal so Sea Sheperd are acting as vigilantes, pirates and terrorists. I used to sit in an office in Antarctica and watch the whales outside my window. Nobody who has experienced that could claim to be pro whaling but I am even more vehemently opposed to the stupid antics of these morons.
Old 07-01-2010, 17:56   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevC View Post
+1 for Cat man do's comments. It was fantastic.

I think most Australians are very much in support of the efforts of Sea Shepherd. Leaving the whaling debate aside, the Japanese are illegally fishing in Australian territory.
With respect to the facts, that's tenuous on both counts. According to the news reports, this incident happened outside Australian territorial waters. Secondly, Australia's claim to the waters around her Antarctic Territory is just that - a claim, and a claim which the Japanese Government disputes, and which has not yet been tested in international court.

This has all become very political for a non-political forum... I wonder how long the mods will let it continue?
Old 07-01-2010, 17:57   #111

Quote:
I am not pro whaling but I am pro truth. What the Japanese are doing has not been deemed to be illegal so Sea Sheperd are acting as vigilantes, pirates and terrorists. I used to sit in an office in Antarctica and watch the whales outside my window. Nobody who has experienced that could claim to be pro whaling but I am even more vehemently opposed to the stupid antics of these morons.
Back to point 1 as you say

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTies
Go back to point one. It has not been deemed to be illegal. It is not you I condemn as a vigilante but the irresponsible Sea Sheperds.
1) Are the Japanese whaling in Australian waters Yes or No

2) Is it illegal to whale in Australian waters Yes or No
Old 07-01-2010, 18:01   #112
cruiser

All claims to territory in Antarctica were held in abeyance when the treaty was put in place. None of them have been ratified, therefore Australia has no claim. It is however in Australia's search & rescue area. No government has shown the actions of the Japanese to be ILLEGAL, immoral yes but in civilised societies our acions are governed by laws, not the whim of anarchists.
Old 07-01-2010, 18:09   #113

Quote:
All claims to territory in Antarctica were held in abeyance when the treaty was put in place. None of them have been ratified, therefore Australia has no claim. It is however in Australia's search & rescue area. No government has shown the actions of the Japanese to be ILLEGAL, immoral yes but in civilised societies our acions are governed by laws, not the whim of anarchists.
A simple yes or no to the above questions will suffice.
Old 07-01-2010, 18:11   #114
cruiser

1) The answer is no
2) I presume the answer is yes
Old 07-01-2010, 18:15   #115
cruiser

Australia's Maritime Boundaries and Zones
Old 07-01-2010, 18:17   #116

Quote:
1) The answer is no
And you base this on???
Old 07-01-2010, 18:18   #117
cruiser

The above link. You are getting a bit combative so I'm off for a cool beer in the Fiji sun.
Old 07-01-2010, 18:21   #118

Heres the map of the Australian Whale Sanctuary put out by the Australian Govt
Old 07-01-2010, 18:37   #119

I think the point, Cat Man Do, is that Australia's claim to jurisdiction over the Australian Antarctic Territory (and by extension the waters around it) is extremely tenuous. In fact, only four countries have recognised it (not unexpectedly the four other countries who claimed Antarctic Territories). Every other country in the world considers those waters part of the high seas.

So while Australia may claim to have jurisdiction down there, that doesn't mean they DO have jurisdiction down there. And they seem very reluctant to test their claim in international court.
Old 07-01-2010, 19:07   #120

Boat: 34' Searunner Tri

Commode Tony makes some good points and has a good time doing it.

I found myself cracking up........Combining his findings with the towing of the drogue looks like pretty bad for the skull and crossbones guys......Good one
Closed Thread