Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 27-08-2014, 09:06   #136

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Another "Youngest" Record Challenge Dies...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Not with an Uzi, I'll wager.
Absolutely not, only military type weapons were 1903 A3 Springfields that were available cheap and were easily converted to sporting rifles
There were no "black guns" and fully automatic weapons anywhere

Old 27-08-2014, 09:40   #137
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
"The goal here is to really make people think about a young, overconfident ******* on a boat rather than any pressing matters of substance that actually affect people's lives." ...
Lets all help him by pouring a bucket of ice over our heads

Thanks Gord!!!!!!!!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2014, 18:16   #138

Boat: Cal 29
pirate Re: Another "Youngest" Record Challenge Dies...

Thanks Gord. Good stuff. I was in Madison when the Onion got rolling. Man, those were the days.
Old 27-08-2014, 20:55   #139

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

I think if people had more opportunity for risk adventures while growing up, we'd have fewer senseless mass killings. My parents allowed me quite a bit of rope and I learned to solve problems and find a way home.

I still enjoy risking life and limb, though I take longer to recover now, and I can honestly say... I'd rather my daughter die in an avalanche then crossing a city street. I think she agrees with me.

JimK
Old 27-08-2014, 23:28   #140
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindredpdx View Post
I think if people had more opportunity for risk adventures while growing up, we'd have fewer senseless mass killings. My parents allowed me quite a bit of rope and I learned to solve problems and find a way home.

I still enjoy risking life and limb, though I take longer to recover now, and I can honestly say... I'd rather my daughter die in an avalanche then crossing a city street. I think she agrees with me.

JimK
I agree with the above, but those "risk adventures" should be a personal thing, not a competition with "fame and fortune" resulting.
Old 28-08-2014, 05:19   #141
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Standfast 33, building a 65 ft Wooden Schooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyalan View Post
I agree with the above, but those "risk adventures" should be a personal thing, not a competition with "fame and fortune" resulting.
See this is what I have a problem with. Who's conditions ?

If I am the one doing it, then damnit I am doing it my way.

That's why this whole thread bothers me, people talking about how other people _should_ behave...oh please...

Maybe you are jealous some one else did what you wished you could.

And I am not singling weeyalan out, it's this whole damned thread...
Scot McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2014, 08:11   #142
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
I think if people had more opportunity for risk adventures while growing up, we'd have fewer senseless mass killings.
Just some individual killings would be OK?
Like the 9 year old shooting a fully auto Ouzi and killing the person who allowed her to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot McPherson View Post

That's why this whole thread bothers me, people talking about how other people _should_ behave...oh please...
Read Gords link re 9 year old. There does need to be some conformity because some have no common sense.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2014, 08:16   #143

Ok. So there needs to be some common sense applied. People tried to stop Laura Dekker and the courts said she and her father had the right to decide.

JimK
Old 28-08-2014, 08:33   #144

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I think if people had more opportunity for risk adventures while growing up, we'd have fewer senseless mass killings.
JimK
Why would anyone, no matter where they are growing up or financial status, not have the opportunity for risk adventure?
Old 28-08-2014, 08:44   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Why would anyone, no matter where they are growing up or financial status, not have the opportunity for risk adventure?

You are joking right? Maybe I should have said healthy risk adventure... Helicopter parents that don't let their kids turn around without checking in. Neglectful or poor parents spend all their time working. The book "last child in the woods" uses the phrase "nature deficit syndrome"...

JimK
Old 28-08-2014, 08:48   #146
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Just some individual killings would be OK?
Like the 9 year old shooting a fully auto Ouzi and killing the person who allowed her to?

Read Gords link re 9 year old. There does need to be some conformity because some have no common sense.
Sounds to my like this is something that Darwin should short out...stupid is as stupid does...because of the stupid few we need to make it harder for the not as stupid who are using their better judgement?

That's what's happening to this country (USA) and the world for the most part...no one is allowed to use their own judgement anymore and if it's outside the norm, then we need to stop it from happening.

Laura's life got upended for a while because someone else thought they knew better than Laura and her dad.

People are going to make mistakes, some really stupid and some even deadly, but it's their mistake to make...how dare ANYONE tell me what I can and cannot do because someone ELSE did something stupid. You are punishing me even though I had nothing to do with it.

Now, I wouldn't let my 13 YO go on a cruise, I wouldn't even let him wonder around NYC on his own, but that's because it's me and my kid. I know my kid...some might say I am over protective, but guess what...I know my kid, he's not ready. Laura is and was obviously ready for what she was doing and no one but she and her parents could know that. My 16yo on the other hand, well heck...you can't tell him anything anyway, and you can't stop him...again before you say I need to take control, YOU DON'T KNOW...he's gonna find a way to do what he wants anyway, and guess what...he is the sort that's going to have to learn from his own mistakes.

My 8yo is very independent. He's going to be just fine, will be the one who takes care of himself earliest...when he's 13, if he wanted to take a sailing trip on his own, I might consider it...though I'll cross that bridge when that happens...but there are MY kids...I know them, I know who they are and what they are capable of and their levels of maturity.

I didn't listen and learn either, I had to land flat on my face before I started growing up too...everyone is different. I DID learn from my mistakes and I am fairly successful as a kind human being who is able to care well for his family.

I am sorry, but stay out of my business...and let the stupid do stupid and suffer their own consequences...you have no right to make me suffer the consequences of someone else's stupidity.

Pathetic and egotistical
Old 28-08-2014, 08:50   #147
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

And mark, I am sorry I am not attacking you in the least...it's this overall mindset that I can't stand...forgive me for singling out your post, it was just the most recent one in this thread and it was exactly the sentiment that I am railing against.
Old 28-08-2014, 09:01   #148

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
You are joking right? Maybe I should have said healthy risk adventure... Helicopter parents that don't let their kids turn around without checking in. Neglectful or poor parents spend all their time working. The book "last child in the woods" uses the phrase "nature deficit syndrome"...
JimK
No I'm not. While I haven't lived in a major city, I don't see why there can't be adventure there. My parents weren't poor or neglectful, but they both worked full time jobs as I and my wife do. I've always been an outdoor person, grew up that way. I had more freedom with the parents off at work

A whole lot has to do with the kid, our Grandchildren have been living with us for the last three yrs., we live on the edge of town on 100 acres, have two big dogs to play with, dirt bikes to ride, a pool to swim in, five acre pond and I can't get my Grandson off of his video game thing, I make him go outside and he just stands there swatting at bugs that fly around. He can barely swim, won't ride the little Honda or a bike for that matter, and would never go in the woods.

Some people even if given all the advantages in the world still won't take advantage of them, and some even though given nothing at all, seem to make their own way.
Old 28-08-2014, 09:07   #149
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
... The book "last child in the woods" uses the phrase "nature deficit syndrome"...
JimK
Nature deficit disorder refers to a hypothesis by Richard Louv in his 2005 book “Last Child in the Woods” that human beings, especially children, are spending less time outdoors, resulting in a wide range of behavioural problems.
However, this disorder is not recognized in any of the medical manuals for mental disorders, such as the ICD-10, or the DSM-5.

Elizabeth Dickinson* argues (“The Misdiagnosis: Rethinking‘‘Nature-deficit Disorder’’**) that, in the absence of deeper cultural examination and alternative practices, NDD is a misdiagnosis—a problematic contemporary environmental discourse that can obscure and mistreat the problem.

* ➥ Elizabeth A. Dickinson Homepage
** ➥ The misdiagnosis: Rethinking “nature-deficit disorder” (2013) | Elizabeth Dickinson - Academia.edu

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2014, 09:19   #150
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot McPherson View Post
My 16yo on the other hand, well heck...you can't tell him anything anyway, and you can't stop him...again before you say I need to take control, YOU DON'T KNOW...he's gonna find a way to do what he wants anyway, and guess what...he is the sort that's going to have to learn from his own mistakes.
l
Wow! We should compare notes - Wait... Never mind.

My 16 y/o thinks he's going on 25 and sometimes acts like he is 12.

This is the most interesting and so far the toughest parenting time "ever!"

Take control? Those who say that have never had an independent teen. Of either gender - LOL...

Sometimes I'd be happy to launch the bugger off in the Southern Ocean in a small boat - LOL...

Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
record

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: