Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 27-11-2012, 15:03   #46

Boat: West Wight Potter 19
Re: Alzheimer's Dilemma

Also strenuous exercise helps improve brain function. I'm doing this hoping to stave off memory loss along with proper medical care.

Thank you for being there for him, I hope I as fortunate.

Old 27-11-2012, 16:10   #47
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmony80 View Post
And he seems very happy and contented on the boat.
As long as you are happy too it can't be any better!

Going slowly never hurt, you just get to see more, and experience towns better.

Most cruisers would be delighted to help do an oil change or anything like that.

It's wonderful that you are doing it together. My mum sits in a nursing home and its not like the TV ads. Better on the water!

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 16:33   #48

It sounds like you are doing very well. I know it is hard for some people to do, but asking for help when you need it will always get a response from the cruising fleet. I bet you can hook up with a similar sized boat to cruise in company. Just knowing they are there could be a comfort, and chances are you will never need their assistance. Many of us are dealing with somewhat similar problems in our own families and can instantly relate to what you are going through.
Old 27-11-2012, 17:51   #49

Boat: Caliber 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ
As long as you are happy too it can't be any better!

Going slowly never hurt, you just get to see more, and experience towns better.

Most cruisers would be delighted to help do an oil change or anything like that.

It's wonderful that you are doing it together. My mum sits in a nursing home and its not like the TV ads. Better on the water!

Mark
I have both up and down moments, as does he, and we expected that. I always wonder if we are up to the challenges, but neither of us can imagine sitting at home without trying. 5 years ago this was our deam, and someday, even if I have to show him pictures, we will sit in our rocking chairs WITH our memories. And meantime we miss our grandchildren...but we will have stories to tell them...if they are interested in listening...
Old 27-11-2012, 17:55   #50

Location: Currently in South Pacific. Home Port: Vienna, Austria
Boat: Celestial, Stay'sl-Rigged Sloop, 48 ft

Our neighbors here in the anchorage are dealing with an Alzheimer's situation. Once he clued us in, we understood why the "repairs" are taking so long.

Twice, now, they've had a few of us aboard as deckhands whilst they slipped moorings and motored over to the fuel dock. Heck, he motored for a couple of hours around the harbour as a "trial run" after taking on fuel. She was delighted to be underway. She insisted on serving snacks and bevies for all, once we re-moored, to celebrate the great test. Then she talked with my wife (again) about harbour procedures in that same, next, port and (again) what should be stocked aboard before departure.

It's really all about keeping those dreams alive, isn't it? About feeling part of the crew, living on the boat, and slipping those mooring lines.

And it's about feeling bloody useful, with the wind in your face and the wake left trailing astern.
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2012, 04:57   #51
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmony80 View Post
Still o.k., but I inadvertently hit a return and it loaded my unfinished comments. Our first 3 nights aboard we're in dock because I needed to know that my husband could acclimate to the boat. By the 3rd night he was finally able to find his way to the head in the dark and back into the bunk, which is all of 2 feet away from each other. That was an eye opener for me and made me really question if we should be doing this. But we left Rock Hall, MD, and anchored our first night in Selby Bay in 70 degree weather. Because of Hurricane Sandy I had to make another hard decision about whether to get hauled out or run down the Bay before Sandy hit. Having been flooded by Isabelle in 2003, I decided it was best to run south before flotsam arrived as a result of Sandy. We got the boat prepared and weathered Sandy in Norfolk with the wind sheltered by tall buildings. The process of stripping the boat and adding double and tripple lines confused my dear captain, and added to his confusion when we had to take it all off again! So we stayed an extra day just to give him a chance to era climate to the "normal" condition of the boat. Next was the ICW, and we decided to do the Dismal swamp, which the Army engineers said was clear and recently dredged after the first few miles. It was mostly uneventful, but I have learned to communicate more clearly with others on the docks and at locks to let them know that while we appear to have 2 hands on deck, it really is just one with a handicap, as I cannot prevent my husband from trying to help, which I've learned means "be prepared for anything to happen". Now we have been sitting in Oriental awaiting a boat engine part from Yanmar. Now it is really evident that mot having the able mind of the engineer that was once my husband has really hindered us, because he could have done this work and we would have been on our way. Instead, I am awaiting an install from someone else. But, it has given us time to reorganize everything on the boat, which we didn't do before leaving, including getting other spare parts aboard just in case. I hired a mechanic to teach me about the engine and how to change the oil...you never know...and I realize there is so much more I need to know. but, for now, if I know how to do something that is not urgent, he can follow one instruction at a time, and he still has the strength, and sometimes the willingness, to do it. And if he says no, I have learned to wait a couple of minutes and he may say yes. And he seems very happy and contented on the boat. I do not worry about how well he will or will not acclimate back to land once we are finished cruising...time will tell.
I don't really have the words to adequately express my thoughts on this ....... so I won't try!, except to express the hope that we may all marry a "keeper" .

Fair winds to you both .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2012, 11:04   #52

Boat: 1978 44 foot Camper & Nicholsons Ketch

Hi Harmony80 -

It is nice to see love and devotion in action even when the going gets tough, even extremely tough. You two are truly an inspiration.

Chris and I are here in Oriental with our boat on the hard recovering from storm damage. If there is anything you need or just want to meet for a cup of coffee just let us know. Chris is very handy and knows his way around a marine engine.

Would love to meet you all if you have the time. I will forward our phone # to you privately.

-Gretchen
Old 28-11-2012, 11:18   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Heels View Post
Hi Harmony80 -

It is nice to see love and devotion in action even when the going gets tough, even extremely tough. You two are truly an inspiration ...
ABSOLUTELY INSPIRING!!!

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2012, 18:07   #54

Boat: Beneteau 473
Your story brought me to tears, my mom is at the end of her battle with Alzheimers. I tried very hard to bring her dreams to life and to show her a small part of the world -- I could do so much more for her now, but we ran out of time. It was very hard at times, adapting to all the different stages of the disease, but I treasure all of the moments I had with my mom.

If you get to the Caribbean do not hesitate to contact us if you need anything -- even if its just someone to talk to whose been there. The hubby is really handy with engines and all sorts of things.

Robyn
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2012, 23:38   #55

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Let me be the one, to not only thank you for being there for your husband, but also remind you of the serious nature of being responsible for such a large vessel.

Water is sometimes your friend, and often times your enemy. What are you going to do, if a challenge presents itself, that he used to do, but now he can't? Any vehicle, on land, air, or sea, requires a competent opperator that does not endanger public safety.

Once your husband can no longer opperate the boat as a competent steward of the public's interest, it is up to his family to park that sailboat. If you can do everything required, then by all means, keep on keeping on.

Sometimes you have to acknowledge the game has changed, and adapt to life anew.

Nutrition is a much bigger key to health than the AMA will allow us to know. The internet has helpful solutions.
Old 29-11-2012, 01:19   #56
NDH

Boat: Dufour 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
ABSOLUTELY INSPIRING!!!
+1 its easy to give up, carrying on takes courage, respect to you both.
NDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 20:13   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Heels View Post
Hi Harmony80 -

It is nice to see love and devotion in action even when the going gets tough, even extremely tough. You two are truly an inspiration.

Chris and I are here in Oriental with our boat on the hard recovering from storm damage. If there is anything you need or just want to meet for a cup of coffee just let us know. Chris is very handy and knows his way around a marine engine.

Would love to meet you all if you have the time. I will forward our phone # to you privately.

-Gretchen
Sorry I didn't see this before we departed...would love to have met you at the Bean or eve on the boat. Next time we pass thru. Found the people in Oriental to be fantastic. Had thanksgiving at the home of Judy and Dick, and made lifelong friends with Bob and Betty. After the hectic run from HSandy, it was a welcome change of pace. We are now in Isle of Palm, SC.
Old 08-12-2012, 20:40   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post
Let me be the one, to not only thank you for being there for your husband, but also remind you of the serious nature of being responsible for such a large vessel.

Water is sometimes your friend, and often times your enemy. What are you going to do, if a challenge presents itself, that he used to do, but now he can't? Any vehicle, on land, air, or sea, requires a competent opperator that does not endanger public safety.

Once your husband can no longer opperate the boat as a competent steward of the public's interest, it is up to his family to park that sailboat. If you can do everything required, then by all means, keep on keeping on.

Sometimes you have to acknowledge the game has changed, and adapt to life anew.

Nutrition is a much bigger key to health than the AMA will allow us to know. The internet has helpful solutions.
Thanks for your input...yes, nutrition is helpful, as are the medications and vitamins. Frankly, we have acknowledged the game has changed. We downsized and appropriately equipped our boat so I could single hand it if necessary. Do I make mistakes? Sure, but I am a competent sailor and have the ability to captain, and while I do not have the physical strength of a man, there is no reason to not live our dream, even though it has been difficult and sometimes frustrating for both of us to realize that he can no longer drive the boat--we are each continuing to adapt, accept, and understand what we each can and cannot do, and yes that can vary from day-to-day, and sometimes from hour to hour. But he is not ready to sit in a rocking chair, nor would I want him to.
Old 08-12-2012, 22:31   #59

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
http://www.abigon.com/buying_turmeric.html

I listened to this guy on a radio show recently, and he was pretty convincing.

Check it out. This natural route, always works better than AMA poisons.
Old 09-12-2012, 13:33   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post
http://www.abigon.com/buying_turmeric.html

I listened to this guy on a radio show recently, and he was pretty convincing.

Check it out. This natural route, always works better than AMA poisons.
We have been doing the Tumeric thing for quite a while now. Have no idea if it works, but it won't harm.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: