Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2007, 11:52   #1

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
Alternative Fuels Cause Beer Prices to Rise..!!

Damn you Al Gore.... farmers are now abandoning hops as a cash crop because they can make more $$ selling corn to the Ethanol producers. So the cost of beer is going up!!

Mexican farmers are converting fields from growing Blue Agave to corn.... so your Quervo Gold will soon cost about as much....

And if that wasn't enough to ruin your day.... efforts well underway to increase production of Cellulosic Ethanol - from sugar cane! So the price of Captain Morgan's is sure to rise....

Time for the Cruising Community to show what they're made of .... tell everyone you know to keep their hands off our beer & rum supplies!!

Germans bitter as beer prices bubble up - On Deadline - USATODAY.com
Old 01-06-2007, 12:37   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Next thing you know, it will be pototoes, and there goes the vodka!

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 13:29   #3

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
When they start going after the free black berries, that grow wild here, then I'm getting worried.

They make a great wine.
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 16:01   #4

Boat: C&C 27
You guys drink North American Beer?
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 16:44   #5

Boat: Rosa B
great...another beer nazi
Jimboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 16:59   #6

Welcome Jimboats!
Old 02-06-2007, 02:58   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Q: What does making love and American beer have in common?
A: They are both *%@#ing near water.

After the North American Beer Festival, all the brewery presidents decided to go out for a beer.
The guy from Corona sits down and says, "Hey Senor, I would like the world's best beer, a corona." The bartender dusts off a bottle from the shelf and gives it to him.
The guy from Budweiser says, "I'd like the best beer in the world, give me 'The King of Beers', a Budweiser." The bartender gives him one.
The guy from Coors says, "I'd like the only beer made with Rocky Mountain spring water, give me a Coors." He gets it.
The guy from Molson sits down and says, "Give me a Coke." The bartender is a little taken aback, but gives him what he ordered. The other brewery presidents look over at him and ask, "Why aren't you drinking a Molson's?"
The Molson president replies, "Well, I figured if you guys aren't drinking beer, neither would I.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	canadian_20beer_20fridge_482.png
Views:	253
Size:	200.4 KB
ID:	1235   Click image for larger version

Name:	beer.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	1236  

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 06:07   #8

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida
You guys drink North American Beer?
Pray tell - what do you drink? Me, I don't much like the mass-market swill, but there are many excellent smaller breweries and cottage-breweries throughout N America. Even in the US; I quite like Sam Adams' brews, if I can't find a brew-pub.
BTW, there's crappy beer all around the world - the worst I've found was in Panama, where it tasted like formaldehyde.

Kevin
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 06:22   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman
Pray tell - what do you drink? Me, I don't much like the mass-market swill, but there are many excellent smaller breweries and cottage-breweries throughout N America. Even in the US; I quite like Sam Adams' brews, if I can't find a brew-pub.
BTW, there's crappy beer all around the world - the worst I've found was in Panama, where it tasted like formaldehyde.

Kevin
Formaldehyde, huh?

Well. Some beers in some parts of the world. Use that in their beers to preserve the beer. I had a few beers in Turkey once. That had fomaldehyde in it. Talking about a bad aftertaste....YUCK!!! Never again.

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 06:38   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman

Kevin
Oh somewhere there is a photo of my wife and I at our wedding reception sharing a glass of Taddy Porter. It has been years since I last drank alcohol, I have put myself off of it as a motivator to go cruising. When my boat lands on a foreign shore again I will tip a glass in celebration. But I've been know to empty a glass of everything from Lone Star to Guiness to Carib Shandy.

Taste in beer is personal and everyone's opinion is valid since they have only their own taste buds to serve. I was just stirring the pot a little. BTW I hear that in Reykjavik they put formaldehyde in beer to preserve it.

Maybe a poll is in order.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:41   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida
Oh somewhere there is a photo of my wife and I at our wedding reception sharing a glass of Taddy Porter. It has been years since I last drank alcohol, I have put myself off of it as a motivator to go cruising. When my boat lands on a foreign shore again I will tip a glass in celebration. But I've been know to empty a glass of everything from Lone Star to Guiness to Carib Shandy.

Taste in beer is personal and everyone's opinion is valid since they have only their own taste buds to serve. I was just stirring the pot a little. BTW I hear that in Reykjavik they put formaldehyde in beer to preserve it.

Maybe a poll is in order.
Guess I will stick to the hard stuff. Like Whiskey or Scotch. Or Rum and Gin.

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 02-06-2007, 09:16   #12

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
PV - fair enough

I've also had beer in many places that seemed to have formadehyde used as a preservative, but with the stuff in Panama I think they forgot to add the beer
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 13:25   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Well looking at it all from another view, it's probably good that the cost of Alcohol rises. Otherwise we would end up pouring Alcohol into our tanks because it was cheaper than Diesel, and that would make most grown men cry. Could you imagine the Male breakdowns as the fuel up on the fuel warf. The peaceful early morning silence broken by the wails of some guy as he pours Gin or Wiskey into his fuel tank.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 14:54   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Back in the day we used to get real Moosehead here, before Molson's took over brewing it. The local bartender told me they had to to pull it, but he gave me one for a side by side test. Difference was like abrosia to moose piss. The "real" Moosehead was a far better beer than the watered down stuff that Molson's brewed.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 15:00   #15

I wonder why Molson did that? And ruined a great beer?

I have heard from numerous sources. That at one time. American beers used to be a lot better, than the ones they have now. Now days. It's mostly watered down swill.

IMHO. Samuel Adams is a much better beer than Budweiser. And Bud used to be my #1 brand of beer.

Tags
Beer, fuel