Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2009, 20:51   #1

Boat: C&C 38'
Wink Almost home

Today is two months to the day until I retire and return to the USA. We have our tickets. We have short timers attitudes! I have learned a lot from this forum in the past two years. I will be a much better informed purchaser of a live-aboard than when I first got the idea of actually buying a sailboat and cruising. Thanks you guys. Hey, is this a great time to buy a boat or what?
Old 05-04-2009, 21:50   #2

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Congratulations. You should have a lot to choose from when it comes time to pick up a yacht. And since you are an expatriate, you will be a fearless cruiser.

I remember reading that if you live overseas for longer than seven years, you become a hard core expatriate, and you are permanently immune to culture shock. The truth is that you are immune to culture shock offshore, but when you return to your home you will experience a big shock when you see how much things have changed.

The only solution is to purchase a yacht and head offshore for another adventure.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 22:06   #3

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
You willl go through a period of adjustment when you come home. It was very tough for me to transition into a stateside lifestyle after living offshore for 28 years.

Here is what I wrote about the experience of "Coming Home" on one of my websites:

HOME IS WHERE THE HEART IS

The first home I ever owned was sailing vessel Exit Only. The dream of house ownership never appealed to me, and I have steadfastly resisted any passing and weak urges to buy a house. On the other hand, all of my adult life I have had an overwhelming desire to own and cruise on a small yacht.

When we lived in Saudi Arabia, we camped more than sixty nights per year in the desert. For those sixty plus days and nights, our Land Rover Defender was our home. I know that the Defender was our home, because when we were out in the desert, that was where our heart was.

Now that I am working in Phoenix earning Freedom Chips, I have a terrible confession to make. I purchased a house, but it wasn't because I wanted to. It was out of self-defense. While we were living in Fort Lauderdale, robbers were holding up banks with AK-47s, and we lived in a gated and guarded marina. Things are similar, but different in Phoenix. When I arrived in Phoenix, I couldn't tell whether I was in a 45 caliber zone or a 38 caliber zone. That made finding a place to live somewhat difficult.

I finally figured out that I had to make a choice. If I wanted to be safe working in this section of the world, I would have to buy a tent and live in the desert with the rattlesnakes and coyotes with an hour long commute, or I could buy an over-priced house in a seemingly safe area.

The over-priced safe house seems to be working fine. This must be what it feels like to be living in a witness protection program. You find a safe house and live an anonymous low profile lifestyle.

House ownership has turned out to be as painful and expensive as anticipated, and I miss my catamaran, Exit Only. Thank God I didn't sell my boat. If I had done that, I would have sold my home.

Home is where my heart is, and Exit Only is my home.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Home-788[1].jpg
Views:	172
Size:	319.3 KB
ID:	7700

I have to admit that I still yearn for the expatriate and offshore lifestyle.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote