Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2009, 13:54   #16

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Dang.

Some of the stuff I have been thinking...........
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 19:28   #17

Boat: Currently boatless
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
These folks put a lot of effort into maintaining sites and providing content. The only reward they get, beyond kind words (which are very nice and appreciated) are pennies from the Google ads you see above and in margins.

The key thing is this: they don't get paid for just having the ads there; visitors like you need to click on ads.

It is a nice way to say "thank you" to the administrators and bloggers..
Not to revive a dead thread, but I recently realized this was the case and I have become a regular "tip clicker". If I'm reading someone's blog and getting some good info from it, if I can find an ad that I'm interested in, I click on it.

Only clicking on an interesting ad is my way of trying to be fair to the companies paying for the ads as well.

In fact, I ended up buying "The Wirie" because of a recent ad. (I'll let people know how it works for us after I get it). So even "tip clicking" can work in favor of both the blogger, the company AND the reader.
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 19:48   #18

Boat: Cal 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Not to revive a dead thread, but I recently realized this was the case and I have become a regular "tip clicker". If I'm reading someone's blog and getting some good info from it, if I can find an ad that I'm interested in, I click on it.

Only clicking on an interesting ad is my way of trying to be fair to the companies paying for the ads as well.

In fact, I ended up buying "The Wirie" because of a recent ad. (I'll let people know how it works for us after I get it). So even "tip clicking" can work in favor of both the blogger, the company AND the reader.

Liva, you are right. I occasional go on my blog just to be sure it's still up an running and quite often find some pretty interesting ads coming in. Of course I can't click on them, but I have gone to the site directly and looked at more than one product...actually bought a couple of things along the way. If the key words are good, you will get some decent returns, so if you are reading a fellow blogger's adventure, why not click on them.
S/VSkylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 23:29   #19
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
Be careful about who and where clicks on the Google Adsense Ads. My stepsons were visiting us two christmas ago, and they plugged in their laptops at our home, of course. They checked out our blog, as they usually do, because this is how our family keeps tabs on what we have been up to. But this time it was from our house......and guess what?

Google cancelled our advertising and kept the money they owed me to date. The ad clicks came from OUR IP address, just as though WE were clicking on our own ads to increase our own revenue.

So, over 200 blog posts now on our blog and not a single penny in income from Adsense. And they were totally inflexible when we explained what had happened. It was clear cut. The clicks were like the day after Christmas, and never happened before or since.

It we could easily do it, I would move the whole blog to some other blog hosting site.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:33   #20

Boat: Currently boatless
Wow - good to know Canibul.

We are mobile so we don't have a normal IP but we go through BBX (a PNW internet service at many marinas) and it would be a shame if Google thought any clicks coming from BBX were coming from us...since so many boats traveling up here would be!
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2010, 04:19   #21
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
On another Forum I belong to there are no paid ads, but commercial vendors are very welcome.
On another forum I frequent they get upset if you mention other forums you frequent.
Old 19-02-2010, 09:05   #22
Captain

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via MSN to Andy R Send a message via Skype™ to Andy R
Thanks for reminding members that services such as this forum are supported by advertising. Actually, it's pretty amazing how much innovation and services have been created for free to the end users!

Please don't click the ads just for the sake of clicking. Only visit an advertisers if it's a product you are actually interested in. They have to pay for those clicks and it's not fair to them to click if you are not actually interested in what you see advertised.
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2010, 00:42   #23

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Im watched at home, Im watched by a multitude of cameras when I step out of my front door, my mobile signal is tracked everywhere i take it, my car is viewed from space.

The bathroom is the only private space left.
Old 26-02-2010, 00:52   #24

Boat: Dreaming
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
Im watched at home, Im watched by a multitude of cameras when I step out of my front door, my mobile signal is tracked everywhere i take it, my car is viewed from space.

The bathroom is the only private space left.
Maybe...maybe not!

Tags
forums