Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2011, 11:41   #1

Boat: 1999 Steel (Tom Collin's design)
A Rant Against the Gilded Handcuffs

I had a plan. I would work for 3 more years, build up enough cash to buy a 40 foot sailing boat, and then live cheaply on ~1000 a month. I'm now just over 2 years into the 3 year plan. Everyone on the finical side is pretty much on schedule for "the plan".

In discussing it with my wife, we went on a charter, and have been looking at all sorts of vessels. Both online, and whenever we can get down to the Corpus Christi Municipal Marina.

We have determined that our tastes are much higher than we originality thought. (Go figure.) I'm thinking it will take at least another 3 years to get close to have the finances to support the level we would like to be.

And so I feel the need to rail against the power of the gilded handcuffs. Much like a birds gilded cage it becomes hard to leave the shiny things.
ViribusUnitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 11:50   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: A Rant against the Gilded Handcuffs.

One of the most basic concepts of economics is want vs. need. It’s also part of maturing into adulthood.

In actuality, you only “need” four things to survive:

A roof over your head, or a hull under your bum.
Enough food and water to maintain your health.
Basic health care and hygiene products.
Clothing (just what you need to remain comfortable and appropriately dressed).

Everything that goes beyond this; a bigger/fancier boat, the latest electronics, name-brand clothes, fancy foods and drinks; is merely a “want”.

You want to liveaboard and/or cruise a boat within a year. You want a more expensive boat than you originally anticipated (budgeted). As a person of limited means, you must prioritise your wants, and choose which alternative you want more.

I'm sorry (but not very) that you cannot have everything you want, right now.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 11:57   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
One of the most basic concepts of economics is want vs. need. It’s also part of maturing into adulthood.

In actuality, you only “need” four things to survive:

A roof over your head, or a hull under your bum.
Enough food and water to maintain your health.
Basic health care and hygiene products.
Clothing (just what you need to remain comfortable and appropriately dressed).

Everything that goes beyond this; a bigger/fancier boat, the latest electronics, name-brand clothes, fancy foods and drinks; is merely a “want”.

You want to liveaboard and/or cruise a boat within a year. You want a more expensive boat than you originally anticipated (budgeted). As a person of limited means, you must prioritise your wants, and choose which alternative you want more.

I'm sorry (but not very) that you cannot have everything you want, right now.
Your kidding right? ;-) Your trying to tell me that I can't have everything that I want, all at the time I want it? Wow, revolutionary.

I'm mostly complaining about how my wants have changed.

But I am blessed. I have a good job, and am paid well for my time. If it's another 2-3 years to get what I want, I guess it's not that bad of a deal. Just gotta keep an eye on my wandering wants.
Old 14-10-2011, 11:58   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to Nomdaica

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViribusUnitis View Post
I had a plan. I would work for 3 more years, build up enough cash to buy a 40 foot sailing boat, and then live cheaply on ~1000 a month. I'm now just over 2 years into the 3 year plan. Everyone on the finical side is pretty much on schedule for "the plan".

In discussing it with my wife, we went on a charter, and have been looking at all sorts of vessels. Both online, and whenever we can get down to the Corpus Christi Municipal Marina.

We have determined that our tastes are much higher than we originality thought. (Go figure.) I'm thinking it will take at least another 3 years to get close to have the finances to support the level we would like to be.

And so I feel the need to rail against the power of the gilded handcuffs. Much like a birds gilded cage it becomes hard to leave the shiny things.
PLEASE PLEASE read this book, and have the wife read it as well!!! "Simplicity Sailing: A different approach" Amazon.com: Simply Sailing: A Different Approach to a Life of Adventure eBook: Connie McBride: Kindle Store

GO SMALL AND GO NOW! Anything could change...your health....$$. Remember every dolllar you spend on fancy things is 8 dollars later to fix....and 15 dollars less to cruise on.

This family did it for years with kids...
Old 14-10-2011, 12:04   #5

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Gord is correct of course...but I would wager that if you knew him 30 years ago he would have been careening down the learning curve of balancing those wants and needs. The only thing that you will run out of is time.

On the home front, you may be being "rolled" by yourself or spouse. I am guilty of that myself. Time has a way of showing you if a decision to act or wait is best. In the past I have acted, now being older I have waited....to re-order things and get on with it. One thing I did not wait for was the boat...she is mine warts and all.

Todd
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 12:07   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

I think that what a person perceives as wants when you are working full time to buy things is different then what you feel you need when you step off the treadmill, or so my experience has been. Each to their own but the things missing in my life can't be bought with money but I'll skip the rant since they can't be achieved that way either.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 12:30   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
I think that what a person perceives as wants when you are working full time to buy things is different then what you feel you need when you step off the treadmill, or so my experience has been. Each to their own but the things missing in my life can't be bought with money but I'll skip the rant since they can't be achieved that way either.
You have music and work and kids and a boat......your pretty close. The rest is Zen I think.

Todd
Old 14-10-2011, 12:36   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post
You have music and work and kids and a boat......your pretty close. The rest is Zen I think.

Todd
You don't happen to have a phone number for Zen do you?

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 12:40   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
You don't happen to have a phone number for Zen do you?
No, but if you PM me I will send you a copy of my rock opera which will give you some laughs for about 80 minutes.

Todd
Old 14-10-2011, 13:13   #10
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Re: A Rant Against the Gilded Handcuffs

Twofootitis and the Jones are the only thing you need to avoid. The rest is easy. It ain't the boat, it's the places it takes you.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 14:00   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Cash is King...

If you were to buy an older boat now it would take 2 - 3 years to get it into proper cruising trim.

And there is the ever present danger that you'll get something that, while suitable now, is unsuitable in 3 years time. For instance you may have the fitness level now to manage a sailboat but a change in your health could make a trawler more suitable. Or the political geography of cruising may change - for instance those cruisers who brought a boat thinking they could go past the Horn of Africa now need a boat more suited to the alternatives.

On the other hand there is nothing quite as flexible as cash. Combine it with some experience (chartering and whatever else you can find) and training (books, courses, even internet forums...) and it could take you anywhere.

It may feel like you've got the golden handcuffs on now, but it sounds like you've found the key. Once you start looking at boats it's a slippery slope from which there is no getting off.

As the reality gets closer your tastes may change. Those cheap wrecks that you're turning your nose up at the moment could start to look real good.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 14:18   #12

Don't miss understand me. I knew when I started the plan that it was a bit "optimistic". I just didn't realize HOW optimistic at the time!

I'm all of 29 years of age, so I'm willing to gamble the health and fitness dice for another 3 or 4 years. I figure I'll need this money for something eventually, if not a boat. I might as well get it while I can.

And who knows. If another recession comes along, I might find myself unemployed. (It almost happened in 2008 before it got stable again.) If I do, then the decisions become no brainers!
Old 14-10-2011, 14:23   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Try this......
Amazon.com: Voyaging On A Small Income (9781888671377): Annie Hill: Books

or this....
Amazon.com: Sea-Steading: A Life of Hope and Freedom on the Last Viable Frontier (9780595387588): Jerome FitzGerald: Books
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 14:32   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViribusUnitis View Post
But I am blessed. I have a good job, and am paid well for my time.
There's your problem, right there Get a crappy job and the gilded hancuffs just fall right off. (you get rusty ole 'can't afford it' ones instead)
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 16:00   #15

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah

Viribus, you are learning about a fundamental rule of human nature. I call it the 20% rule.
Whatever you have, you will want it approx 20% better! That rule is the mainspring of progress, and the plating on your gilded handcuffs.
Regards,
Richard.
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote