Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2009, 12:31   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace View Post
I don't need much space: no family, no friends, your basic dismal, lonely life. Just kidding ... about the dismal part. I found a place that will allow living on the boat for 5$ a boat foot. That's around 175-250$ for me, WITH wi-fi! I just have to pay a per usage electricity fee. A one bedroom apartment can't even come close to that.

I'm happy.
I think that you will find that figure is not representative of the maintenance costs of a boat

there's a lot to learn, and loads of free advice on this forum. You may find that 38 feet of boat is a helluva lot for for a singlehanded sailor to live on or need, especially when trying to cut costs and simplify living.

also, I'm not sure where you found a location that allows living aboard for 5$ a foot, but if you have you might want to solicit solely that area for boat deals. Delivery is expensive.

And if your skills are in demand, I would suspect they would be better applied trying to get the cash for an inexpensive boat, rather than trying to trade labor for liveaboards.

You can find large, often slow ferro-cement boats for under 30k that would be comfortable for what you're looking for.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:41   #17

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
I ran into a guy who gets to live aboard and use the owners 50' motor yacht ( within reason )..He had to keep his personal presence rather low key at all times and be willing to find temporary digs on very short notice any time the owner wanted to use the boat...which wasn't often...all for taking care of all the maintenance and upkeep of the boat and its associated costs...it was a win win for both of them.

I think you would have a better chance of finding some arrangement like that then what your are looking for especially with a power vessel rather then sail as they are just plain simpler to maintain and keep up allowing for many older age people to continue enjoying boating with some health challenges and whom may require a little help to keep a boat in good standing if there not flush with cash.
But your still going to have to have steady employment to affect those maintenance and upkeep costs on you nickel to the standard agreed upon...would be a good education on how much it actually does cost to keep a boat of the upper size your considering in ship shape.

Offering hard dollars to some of these owners and a laborer as well to offset the cost of ownership is a sight more attractive then new drywall in the garage...I know it would be for me.

What do you think Swab?...

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:50   #18

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace View Post
--I'm looking for a sailboat (38' to 48') to move onto in an effort to lower expenses, simplify my life --
Joe -
After the above statement you didn't need to tell us you were a writer of weird fiction.

Good luck though.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:54   #19

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
Joe -
After the above statement you didn't need to tell us you were a writer of weird fiction.

Good luck though.
Dang...I wish I would have come up with that..

That took a lot less typing..

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Old 09-12-2009, 13:33   #20

Boat: Jason 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike d. View Post
sorry!!! i like you am quite good at DRYWALL, AND CARPENTRY, and can make quite a good living in the North East doing it however i would not try to get some else to fund my desires. damb if that that isn't crass, or ballsy. i guess what I'm saying is, get the money!, then get the boat. you will feel so much more inner peace because you didn't hoodwink anyone out of their belongings. can't stand people who try to get others to pay their way to one's dreams.
mike, I think you may be either a bit shy of brain cells, or, graciously giving you the benefit of the doubt, perhaps you misread my post. I will extend you that courtesy.

There's no hoodwinking, here. I am trading highly skilled, professional trade labor for the boat. I just finished a job a while back and the total for the work was around 18 thousand dollars. If you consider your work nothing more than worthless piddling, I feel bad for you and your customers. Mine, however, is not. It is of the highest and most finely crafted work they could ever find. My work would most likely be worth more than their boat. I'll accept a slight imbalance in the customer's favor for the working trade they would be kind enough to allow me. My professionalism in the past has always been the best, or at the least, among the best, my customers could ever hope to find. I give the same when I've traded labor for merchandise, and would do so with a boat or anything else.

Let us not dwell in the bilge, sailor. Rather, let us be as brothers, leaving a good and kind word for each other, shall we?
Old 09-12-2009, 13:36   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-kow View Post
You can find large, often slow ferro-cement boats for under 30k that would be comfortable for what you're looking for.
Not comfortable with ferro's. And sure, I do have much to learn, and I may not get any takers. But hey, worth a shot, huh?
Old 09-12-2009, 13:39   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
I ran into a guy who gets to live aboard and use the owners 50' motor yacht ( within reason )..He had to keep his personal presence rather low key at all times and be willing to find temporary digs on very short notice any time the owner wanted to use the boat...which wasn't often...all for taking care of all the maintenance and upkeep of the boat and its associated costs...it was a win win for both of them.

I think you would have a better chance of finding some arrangement like that then what your are looking for especially with a power vessel rather then sail as they are just plain simpler to maintain and keep up allowing for many older age people to continue enjoying boating with some health challenges and whom may require a little help to keep a boat in good standing if there not flush with cash.
But your still going to have to have steady employment to affect those maintenance and upkeep costs on you nickel to the standard agreed upon...would be a good education on how much it actually does cost to keep a boat of the upper size your considering in ship shape.

Offering hard dollars to some of these owners and a laborer as well to offset the cost of ownership is a sight more attractive then new drywall in the garage...I know it would be for me.

What do you think Swab?...
Good points, Still, and a good idea about the maintenance thing. But I think I'll stick my pitch. Works better for me. Thanks.
Old 09-12-2009, 13:40   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
Joe -

Good luck though.
Made me laugh heartily, FSMike. You're not the first to make such a comment. Thanks.
Old 09-12-2009, 13:41   #24

if your trade is so lucrative, how come you cannot find a way to pay for a boat directly rather than a labor exchange?
Old 09-12-2009, 13:54   #25

(walks up to c-kow and uses knuckles to rap him on the forehead) Hello ...? Anyone home ...?

c-kow, don't let this get out, but THE ECONOMY IS IN THE TANK! My business isn't so lucrative, capice? (why I oughta' ...) No, see, since my work is slow, and given the present economy, some may not have much cash on hand for projects. And I thought why not do a little dealing for a kind of, 'you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours' kind of thing. Maybe someone is in the middle of a refurbishing job and really wants to get it done, but doesn't have anymore money to lay down on it. See what I'm sayin? I think it's a good idea.
Old 09-12-2009, 14:13   #26

well, I'm sure with your charm you will soon find a compliant owner
Old 09-12-2009, 14:30   #27

You don't say how old you are, but if you're pushing much past 25-30, sorry to say, I wouldn't trust your "professional" experience with a 10' pole of my house. If you were any good, you would have your own business with employees, and wouldn't need to beg for a free boat. If you're right out of college I would give you the benefit of the doubt, but it sounds more like you're a typical loser/laborer that wants a free ride.

You're better off working at Taco Bell for 5 years, living with your mother, and buying what little boat you could afford after that time. But that would take industry, pluck and perseverance, which means in 5 years time you'll still be a loser.

Regards,

Me
Old 09-12-2009, 14:45   #28
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryprocter View Post
You don't say how old you are, but if you're pushing much past 25-30, sorry to say, I wouldn't trust your "professional" experience with a 10' pole of my house. If you were any good, you would have your own business with employees, and wouldn't need to beg for a free boat. If you're right out of college I would give you the benefit of the doubt, but it sounds more like you're a typical loser/laborer that wants a free ride.

You're better off working at Taco Bell for 5 years, living with your mother, and buying what little boat you could afford after that time. But that would take industry, pluck and perseverance, which means in 5 years time you'll still be a loser.

Regards,

Me
WOW dont you think thats a bit too strong? I dont think thats nessary here!Give him a break -some folks are not cut out to run there own biz
Old 09-12-2009, 15:09   #29
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Okay, folks, before this thread goes completely off the tracks, it would be very much appreciated if everyone would keep in mind the prime directive at Cruisers Forum: We take the "be nice" rule VERY seriously! We do not tolerate ANY rudeness. (That is copied and pasted from the Rules and can be found under the heading Be Courteous!)

Thank you for your cooperation.

TaoJones
Old 09-12-2009, 15:09   #30

Boat: Between boats
Send a message via MSN to Hampus
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryprocter View Post

Regards,

Me
Some people don't want to live that life and follow the rest of the sheep. Instead they choose to go their own way and live life as they see fit, even if that means living outside of the well defined social box. In my book, that's admirable. Just choosing to live in a way that falls beyond your range of vision and understanding doesn't make someone a looser. Not all people are the same.

/Hampus
Closed Thread