Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 03-09-2010, 14:14   #1

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
7.0 Quake Near Christchurch, NZ

‘Significant damage’ reported after New Zealand quake - World news - Asia-Pacific - msnbc.com

It is my hope that all of our cruising friends from New Zealand are safe and sound

Old 03-09-2010, 14:18   #2

Boat: Buccaneer 240
Send a message via Skype™ to Morganministry
I copied this from Fox News.
Scott

A strong magnitude 7.0 earthquake struck close to New Zealand's second-largest city of Christchurch early Saturday local time, wreaking havoc on older buildings and roads, damaging water pipes and power lines, and leading to an airport shutdown.

There were no immediate reports of injuries, however, despite the wide reports of collapsed buildings and severed power lines that revealed the power of the quake. The USGS did not warn of the threat of tsunamis, a common after-effect of an earthquake.

The quake hit at 4.35am Saturday morning local time, just 35 miles (55 km) northwest of Christchurch, on New Zealand's South Island, at a depth of seven miles. Initial reports placed it at 7.4 magnitude, though the USGS revised it down to 7.0. Christchurch is New Zealand's second-largest city with a population of about 342,000 people, and New Zealand's National Radio reports the temblor shook thousands of residents awake.

Christchurch police reported road damage and power outages in parts of the city, with a series of sharp aftershocks rocking the area, the according to the Associated Press. In response, police officers cordoned off some streets where rubble was strewn about from the quake.

Christchurch International Airport was closed after the quake as a precaution, as experts prepared to check the runways and airport terminals for debris and damage, a spokesman said.

Christchurch resident Colleen Simpson said panicked residents ran into the street in their pajamas. Some buildings had collapsed, there was no power, and the mobile telephone network had failed.

"Oh my God. There is a row of shops completely demolished right in front of me," Simpson told the news website stuff.co.nz.

Shaken residents told how they cowered under doorways as the earth moved violently for what seemed as long as a minute. Kevin O'Hanlon described the jolt as extremely powerful.

"I was awake to go to work and then just heard this massive noise and 'boom,' it was like the house got hit. It just started shaking. I've never felt anything like it," he told Stuff.

The damage extended to suburbs and communities across South Island, shutting down the entire railway system while officials inspected it for damage. Grant Shimmin, a resident of Temuka, 90 miles (145 km) south of Christchurch, said the quake seemed to go on for as long as a a minute.

"It sounded like some objects were falling around the house, although we've not found anything broken," he said.

"My daughters ... were both woken quickly and called out, obviously feeling pretty scared, and we huddled under doorways."

A resident of Otago, a region in the island's south, added: "Our house was moving from side to side and the movements were pretty big."

New Zealand sits above an area of the Earth's crust where two tectonic plates collide. The country records more than 14,000 earthquakes a year -- but only about 150 are felt by residents. Fewer than 10 a year do any damage.

Although the nearby population tends to live in quake-susceptible structures, the last two major earthquakes did not result in any casualties, the USGS said. A magnitude 6.1 earthquake struck Cape Campbell, New Zealand, on January 18, 1977, and a magnitude 6.1 temblor hit Cass, New Zealand, on November 24, 1995.

"No destructive widespread tsunami threat exists based on historical earthquake and tsunami data," the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center said.

Old 04-09-2010, 05:02   #3

Boat: Beneteau 40CC Oceanus 1998
Hi Guys

As I sit here not wanting to go to bed although I am exhausted having been up for 19 hours since the first quake hit, I am feeling heartened that folk so far away are thinking of us.

The first quake was just horrrible, certainly the worst I have felt yet in these "Shaky Isles". You lie there in bed waiting for it to end and it just didnt...then next thing my husband grabs my arm and hauls me to the floor yelling get down, stay down. I couldn't help but think "Gee, I wish I wore undies...just in case I have to crawl outside"...... I know, I know funny how the mind works.

The worst is the aftershocks. We live very high on a very steep hill and it is truely awesome the power and frequency of the after shocks. They are scary even though you know they probably wont be any worse than what we have had.

We had no power for much of the day, water was luckily on all day here. My aunt's house is possibly to be condemed and my parents house upon inspection (they are on holiday overseas) has broken water pipes and flooding. We had things all fall over but the funny thing is because we have just drastically downsized to move onto the yacht early next year, there is nothing left in the place to break! Honestly no things on shelves really etc.

Is AMAZING that there was no loss of life, would have been different if it was a few hours later or sooner.

Is my wedding anniversary today and each year we take turns to surprise the other with the days activities. We are cursed. Last year we were going to Fiji and it got hit with a cyclone, a few years before we were due to fly in New Orleans when Katrina hit, now this!!!! Or maybe we just lucky to not get hurt in these things lol.

Another great thing is that our countries earthquake building policies seem to have been proven to be worthwhile. Finally, I take a stand FOR bureaucracy lol.

Is just astounding to see how the quake moved through the ground. We have been in and out to the city all day to keep track on what is happening at hubby's work. Monitoring machinery etc to prevent fires or damage when the power came back on.

All in all a busy day, and a strange experience.

Regards Clare
Old 04-09-2010, 05:15   #4

Boat: Nauticat 42 (Jersey, U.K.)
Send a message via Skype™ to bobsadler
from a friend in central christchurch (lives in a restored victorian house):

"Well the buildings have been very shaken...we have 1 very dodgy chimney but friends 60 meters away have major fissures in the ground running thru their house, which has moved 6 inches off the foundation. Other friends also with major slumps. The hydraulic action liquifying the soil has been remarkable and our road has some fissures 4 ft deep and ridges as high as 2 ft."
bobsadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 05:20   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Our thoughts are with you all, in these trying times.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 05:22   #6
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
We're very glad that you're both OK, Clare! Best wishes!
Old 04-09-2010, 05:35   #7

We were so lucky in that it was that time of day and most people were tucked up in bed and that our building codes are so stringent. These are two thing s that the poor folk in Haiti were not so fortunate in.

Time for me to try to get some sleep, between the continuing aftershocks!

Regards Clare
Old 04-09-2010, 05:40   #8
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenVannin
I couldn't help but think "Gee, I wish I wore undies...just in case I have to crawl outside"...... I know, I know funny how the mind works.
Remember what your Mom told you, "Always keep your knickers on!"
Old 04-09-2010, 07:07   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 16:20   #10

I should have listened to my Mother re the lingerie. She was quite right you do need clean underwear in an emergency! I never knew what she meant lol.

I have to admit, humour is my way of coping in any crisis, so that is probably one reason my brain went down that line at that time too. Yesterday it was humour all day.

Funnily enough today, with these darn big aftershocks coming regularly it is different. I actually feel quite tearful and stressed. Stupid really as I know there is no real danger. Doesn't help that husband has had to go to work for the day!

Wouldn't it be so much nicer to be on the boat, bobbing around and not actually feeling anything.
Old 04-09-2010, 16:22   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?
Just a thought, but maybe the lingerie stage comes when the love stage has paled? Can't comment still in stage one

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: