Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2013, 12:22   #1

Boat: Ohlson 38
16 y/o girl/immersion Spanish language/Guadalajara

My beautiful, blonde, now 16-year-old daughter's birthday gift will be a language immersion vacation in Guadalajara this summer. We have tentatively decided on a school called IMAC, which is located smack in the middle of Guadalajara, Mexico in zona centro. We are considering IMAC's homestay option for her and a separate apartment for my girlfriend and me.

Any comments regarding the school or neighborhood appreciated. Ideas for alternative schools? My daughters safety trumps any other consideration.

I realize this is a non-sailing topic, Mods feel free to delete the thread if it's inappropriate for the forum.
virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 14:23   #2

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Re: 16 y/o girl/immersion Spanish language/Guadalajara

Unless you're firm on Mexico you might research the town of Antigua in Guatemala. I've heard good things about their Spanish immersion courses, usually residing in a local family's home.
Old 12-03-2013, 15:18   #3

Boat: 99 Island Packet 380

I've been to Guadalajara many times. It is reasonably safe for a large city. In other words, fairly safe to walk around during the day and early evening. Otherwise, I would use a taxi.
Old 12-03-2013, 20:06   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsailor12 View Post
I've been to Guadalajara many times. It is reasonably safe for a large city. In other words, fairly safe to walk around during the day and early evening. Otherwise, I would use a taxi.
Thanks, I'd heard that Guadalajara was pretty safe, but it's always nice to get corroborating opinions. I intend to walk her home from school daily.
Old 12-03-2013, 21:35   #5

Boat: Alberg 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
Unless you're firm on Mexico you might research the town of Antigua in Guatemala. I've heard good things about their Spanish immersion courses, usually residing in a local family's home.
Umm. Antigua was the worst place I was in in all of Guatemala. Rampant drug issues, and a fair amount of violence.
Has the illusion of safety, but predators follow prey, and the best prey is there.

Beautiful place despite that, but stressful and too many tourists.

If your daughter is going to Mexico or Guatemala, feel free to shoot me a message on here, my birth-mum is Mexican, and lives on the east coast, along with younger siblings of mine in a lovely town outside of Merida. She could probably give you good advice.

If Guatemala, I have friends there who just started a nutrition center in a lovely town near the water, I can put you in touch with them as well, there are some good schools there, the smart travelers go to places like that for school, cheaper and much safer.

If I go south again, I plan to go to a language school there.

Travel is good, but some caution is good too.
jgbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 00:19   #6

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

Hmmm,
One of my cousins teaches English in Colima (several hours south of Guadalajara) -- he just might know something about IMAC.

PS, I sent him an e-mail.
Old 13-03-2013, 05:32   #7

I don't think Guatamala is in the cards this year, but it was an interesting google. Maybe, if I ever get the boat down there.

Thanks for the offers of help. Yes, I'm interested in any advice from family members/friends with knowledge of Guadalajara and/or the school.
Old 13-03-2013, 19:25   #8

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

During multiple trips to Bogota Colombia, I heard there were good immersion courses available. I learned my Spanish from being there over several years. They speak so clearly and are easier to understand than anywhere else I've been.

Where ever she goes, I would say immersion is a great way to learn a language and to be immediately involved with it. I carried nothing but a little yellow dictionary and a 501 verb book for several months until I got the hang of it. It's a fun way to learn.
Good luck to her.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote