Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2012, 13:13   #1

Boat: Tayana 52, AC
San Fran live aboard marinas?

Planning on sailing down from Victoria, BC Sept '13 to San Fran. Looking for marinas that take live aboards. 41ft LOA. Family of 4, no pets. Safe and central location. Will be there one year. Suggestions?
gscriba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 06:48   #2

Re: San Fran live aboard marinas?

Anyone in the San Fran area living aboard? Still looking for a some input. Thanks.
Old 30-05-2012, 07:20   #3
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

You want to be on the Estuary, IMHO. Best weather, easy freeway access, reasonable prices. Most marinas allow liveaboards, not sure about availability, though.

Marina Village- Marina Village Yacht Harbor
Grand Marina- Welcome to Grand Marina : The Bay Area's Premiere Marina Community
Alameda Marina- Alameda Boat Storage, RV Storage, Commercial Office Space, Alameda Oakland Estuary, California, San Francisco Bay Area - Alameda Marina
Oakland Marinas- Almar Marinas
Fortman Marina- FORTMAN MARINA

These two yacht clubs also have their own marina-

Oakland YC- Home | Oakland Yacht Club
Encinal YC- Encinal Yacht Club
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 07:34   #4

Boat: Jeanneau 49DS

I don’t believe you’ll find live aboard slips in SF proper, but Sausalito is a good option. Great town, easy access to SF and fast access to the best sailing on the Bay. I had my boat berthed in Sausalito Yacht Harbor which has a number of live aboards though don’t know what type of availability they have, but many other Sausalito marinas do allow live aboards as well. You’ll need to decide where in the Bay you want to be; the Estuary is great if you want to be in the East Bay, but if you need to be close to the City, Sausalito is hard to beat.
Check out this site for a listing of marinas and contact info. Also follow the advice other threads have offered on presenting yourself to the harbor master. Good luck.
RyanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 08:53   #5
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

+1 for Sausalito. It has a great liveaboard community, with a much quieter feel than the east bay. Lots of little marine business', good food, close to the city, etc. etc. I too don't belive there are any official liveaboard marina's in the city. But it's been twenty years since I had a boat there.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 09:01   #6

Try Pier 39 right in the City. Don't know what they do for liveaboards, but you could consider yourself a month-to-month transient. Shopping from there is a pain, though.

Sausalito and the Estuary are much better weather-wise.
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 09:02   #7
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
I don’t believe you’ll find live aboard slips in SF proper...
Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
I too don't belive there are any official liveaboard marina's in the city.
Pier 39 Marina is a "dockominium" marina and I believe liveaboards are allowed. You can buy a slip or there are frequently slips available for lease by owner:

Pier 39 Marina
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 09:25   #8

Boat: Jeanneau 49DS

Forgot about Pier 39, not sure I'd want to spend a significant amount of time there; tourists, weather, transportation, great smelling sea lions . . . The surge is pretty nasty too.

Found this thread from a while back

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...hts-36758.html
RyanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 09:35   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

The BCDC (an unregulated out of control local government bureaucracy) limits the number of liveaboards to 10% of the marinas capacity.

There is a lot of competition to be a liveaboard in the SF Bay Area because it is cheap rent. Rent anywhere in or near San Francisco is expensive.

The thing to do would be to get on the phone and start calling the harbor masters offices. The summer weather in SF stinks, it is cold, windy, gray and for some depressing. The Bay Area has a number of microclimates where the weather is much better just ten miles away from SF. As fstbttms said, check out the Oakland Estuary between Oakland and Alameda for better weather and cheaper rent.

Sneakaboards eventually get caught. I have seen and heard of sneakaboards getting the boot.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 13:29   #10
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by gscriba View Post
Anyone in the San Fran area living aboard? Still looking for a some input. Thanks.
We do, at Oyster Cove.

Liveaboard is problematic in the Bay Area for the reasons already mentioned. Our solution is to keep 2 boats, one is the liveaboard and a small one for daysailing so that we get 3 nights for each slip, which is close enough to full time. slip fees for the 2 boats run @ $500.00 total plus electricity, another $35.00 or so per month.

I am sure there are sneakaboards who get kicked out, but I would guess they are the ones who give their harbour master grief by being messy tenants, with stuff all over the place. Keep a neat deck and dock, pay your bills on time and keep a low profile. Folks all over the bay manage to slide in under the radar that way.

Up the delta you might find warmer water, weather and easier access to legit liveaboard slips.

Best of luck and see ya when ya get here ; -)

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 15:19   #11

Boat: Tartan 37 "Velera"

Marina Village has liveaboard slips available right now. Best place in the SF Bay area. Good weather. Access to shopping transportation. Clean and very well maintained facilities. Excellent harbormaster and staff.
Castine, Maine
Pete the Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 16:07   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Marina Bay in richmond has liveaboard slips also. While richmond in general is not so nice, the marina area is very nice and safe as anywhere else on the bay.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 16:14   #13

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

We lived aboard in Marina Village Yacht Harbor in Alameda for 4 years, befre we started cruising. The marina itself is very clean, good facilities and has a great staff.

Marina Village is a 5 minute walk to the supermarket and is on the bus route, which can take you to BART in about 15 minutes.

Alameda is a great little city with more restaurants than you will be able to visit in one year. Alameda is a great place for kids and has some of the nicest schools in the Bay Area. There are two chanderly's (Svendsen's and West Marine) in the area as well.

Good Luck!

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 18:56   #14

Wow! Thanks everyone! I will look into the options you have offered.

Thanks again!
Gordon
Old 06-07-2012, 15:57   #15

Boat: Atkins Thistle 32 ft

We live in a private marina just south of Candlestick Park in the San Francisco Bay. Oyster Cove Marina. We are a friendly bunch and I know there are berths available. The cost is reasonable: we have one boat in a 40ft slip that we generally pay about $540/mo including liveaboard fee, electricity, and the slip fee. The Harbormaster is a reasonable guy. There are showers, 2 washers/2dryers, ice. We are in a somewhat isolated area so crime is not an issue here. You will need transportation, however, as the closest grocery store is a few miles away.
IolantheSF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marinas