Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2007, 14:04   #1

Send a message via AIM to j9gillik Send a message via Yahoo to j9gillik
Liveaboard Marinas on SE Lake Michigan?

Do any of you have experience with marinas on the SE shore of Lake Michigan (between South Haven and Muskegon ... maybe as far north as Ludington)? I'm interested in scoping out prices and availability for a slip in a marina that's liveaboard-friendly. I figured I'd ask here before starting cold calls.
j9gillik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 15:29   #2

Liveaboard marinas on SE Lake Michigan?

I have the same question.

Since there have been no responses for over a year it looks like the answer is "no", but I wanted to try to stir up this thread again.

Is there any chance I can live on a boat near South Haven, MI? I like the idea of living aboard all year but I am not sure that is even a good idea.

Any comments would be appreciated!

Scott.
OnlyADream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 09:19   #3

We don't liveaboard yet, but have been doing a lot of research in to it. From our research on the internet and friends that live on the Lake 1/2 the year, I believe most Lake Michigan marinas do not officially state they are "liveaboard-friendly" but it doesn't seem to be a problem at many marinas. I've heard your are not supposed to say you are planning on being a liveaboard, you just buy or rent your slip and stay there as much as you want.

Again, I'm just sharing what I've learned so their may be more detailed info on the topic, but I don't think living on Lake Michigan is advised year-round. Most seasonal dock slips go from May to October. Or you can buy transient slips if you want to move around. What type of boat are you thinking of?

The website below has a list of Michigan marinas. Our friends stay at a marina in South Haven that they love. Some of the marinas on Lake Macatawa (by Holland & Macatawa) are very nice. It's attached to Lake Michigan if you go up the channel but also provides a little shelter when you're docked from the spontaneous rough weather of Lake Michigan.

Michigan Marinas | Lake Michigan Sailing and Boating Destinations

A book that's also been very helpful in getting prepared is "The Essentials of Living Aboard a Boat," by Mark Nicholas.

Hope this helps some! Any tips you have would be appreciated as well. We're hoping to start living on Lake Michigan 1/2 the year hopefully by 2010.

-Kristi
catalinadreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:40   #4

Got a close look at February

Thanks for the response!

After living on the lake shore this last winter I have to wonder if a GRP hull would survive the winter! There was about a week where the entire black river was frozen solid on top. I did not expect that at all. I thought the water would be moving enough to keep it liquid.

I hear people talking about living aboard all year round in Toronto and other cold areas. All I can do is wonder how they do it.

Scott.
OnlyADream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:08   #5

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyADream View Post

I hear people talking about living aboard all year round in Toronto and other cold areas. All I can do is wonder how they do it.

Scott.

There are quite a few winter liveaboard communities in the Greater Toronto Area. The water does freeze but ice-eaters keep it open around the boats. One other facility used to be in a basin near a power plant and the discharge water always kept it open but the plant was shut down a few years ago.

Tags
liveaboard, marinas