Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2009, 08:11   #1

Boat: Beneteau 361
Liveaboard in the BVI

My husband and I are new to living aboard and are new to the Virgin Islands. We sold our home in Montana and bought a boat in the BVI. We have been here two months and have not even for a second regretted our decision. We have met some great people who were on vacation, and some great people who liveaboard and work here. Because they work here, they stay in one location. We would love to meet people who are like us, and move around a lot. Or maybe you will be in the area soon, we can meet up with you. The two of us really dig each other, but sure do like visiting with other people also. Are you in the area? Please look us up!
mtarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2009, 09:02   #2

Boat: finally a catamaran dive boat...
Send a message via MSN to cdennyb Send a message via Skype™ to cdennyb
welcome aboard mates... great to see there's some out there who have made the big move.
We all (I'm sure of this) hope to hear from you often and hope you start a sailblog so we can follow your adventure.
Old 23-11-2009, 09:45   #3
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Hello, mtarcher, and welcome to CF. We've got several members from the Virgin Islands, and others who sometimes sail there, so I'm sure you'll hear from them.

Congratulations on your new boat and new life aboard. Stop by Nevis and say, "Hi", if you decide to head down-island.
Old 23-11-2009, 10:13   #4

Wow! I am excited that we received a couple responses. Thank you both. We did start a blog shortly before we bought our boat, at the request of friends and family who want to know where we are. We are just recently getting into it. Sandy (my husband) does most of the writing because he is into that....I am more of a 'numbers' person and not so much a 'words' person. Our blog is.....sheltonsouttacontrol.blogspot.com.....looki ng forward to meeting new folks!!!
Old 24-11-2009, 01:29   #5

Boat: soon a cat:)
nice life! I will follow your blog!! god luck!!
Rickardrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2009, 05:11   #6

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40
Hi Sandy and Karen,

Our boat, Tenaya, should be in the water today at Nanny Cay on Tortolla. We'll be here a few days as we put things back together. Then we will stay in some of our favorite relaxing anchorages in the BVI before we leave for St. Maarten to buy new batteries.

We'll watch for you and look forward to seeing you somewhere. Your blog looks fun and I'll read more later today (while we still have wifi!).
jim_thomsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2009, 08:43   #7

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
mtarcher, look like you are about a few months ahead of me. I'll be down on the 8th for at least 7 months or so, possibly full time depending on several factors.

We have basically same boat!

I'll be at Nanny Cay for a couple of days getting basic provisions then do a bit of sailing and heading over to St. Thomas to pick up some stuff I'm shipping down.

I'll probably bounce between Spanish, US and British VI's for a few months then over to St. Maarten for a bit then who know where.

I will be spending Christmas at Trellis Bay. Have friends who have boats they are living on and the Christmas Eve dinner at Da Loose Mongoose is always very nice and rather full of long term cruisers and other boat people.

Hope to run across you.

ken
Old 25-11-2009, 09:39   #8

Boat: Island Packet 380
Hi there, Welcome to Cruisers Forum! Your blog looks great, love reading about others adventures in sailing. Looks like you are having a great time. It will be a few more years before we are ready to retire and live the "good" life like you. We do get to frequent the BVI however in the interim. Next time we are down there for charter, we will have to look you up. You are more than welcome to our left over provisions when we fly home, no machete necessary
sweetsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2010, 20:15   #9

Boat: Catalina 27 - Handyman NO# 1229771
Send a message via MSN to tallyhorob
So, I'm thinking of moving there in about two years, how is the live aboard life in the BVI- from what I read USA can only be there a month ? and then fees? Are they real crowed? or is it as nice as I'm telling the wife it is? Any info on the USVI? thanks
tallyhorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2010, 04:18   #10

Hi Tallyhorob,

We have been here 4 months now and loving every minute of it. When we first arrived in September, we pretty much had the ocean to ourselves but folks started trickling in mid-october to early november. Now there are alot of boats here, but at least half of those are charter folks. As far as customs and immigration....it really is quite easy as long as you keep a sense of humor! We cleared in and out about 4 times (back and forth to USVI and a flight to St. Maarten) before they said we must apply for longer stay. Normally they give you a month. If you leave during that month and return, the original expiration date stamp still applies. Once the month is up, they gave us another month. Well then they saw many stamps in our passport and decided we needed to go to the main office and plead our case to stay longer. So we got dressed up in our best clothes and waited in line at the main office. The nice lady gave us until April 30th. She said if we want to stay beyond that, come back on April 28 for another extention. Also, the sense of humor part comes in because you never pay the same amount twice. I suppose it all depends on what they feel like charging and if they are in a good mood, etc.....Folks here tell us not to even try to figure it out. There is no rhythm or reason at all! As far as the fees everytime you clear in or out....we have paid as little as $1.80 and as much as $20. Now as far as USVI vs. BVI....we spent 7 nights on land on St. Thomas with a rental car so got to know it fairly well. Have dropped anchor around St. Johns quite a bit and really like it. Definetly prefer St. John over St. Thomas. Lots of beautiful hiking trails. Most of St. John is national park. But when you are living on your boat, the BVI is much more fun. Unlimited beautiful spots to drop anchor. Great hiking! You meet people from all over the world in the BVI, seems like mostly Americans in USVI. Please have your wife send me an email. I can tell her anything she wants to know from one girl to another! Best wishes on your future dream! Karen
Old 24-06-2013, 15:30   #11

Boat: Silverton 322
Send a message via Skype™ to corporaljason
Re: Liveaboard in the BVI

Looking for anyone who could give us some random advice about BVI. We are chartering a boat in Tortola for the first time and are looking for some locals who can give us some insight as to anything outside of what the charter company is telling us. Thanks for any response.

Jason
corporaljason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2013, 22:40   #12

Re: Liveaboard in the BVI

Howdy corporljason,

We'll be on our 5th year winter cruising the BVI and other "Virgins", and have come to know a lot of folks that have chartered. I don't want to run down any of the charter companies, as any of them can have problems. Have seen a LOT of folks dissatisfied with maintenance on the vessels as well as follow-up repairs. It appears the newer the boat, the fewer the potential headaches. Horizon Charters (at Nanny Cay) seem to have a lot of satisfied customers.

As far as the sailing goes, the weather is best for new sailors after the "Christmas" winds taper off...around February or later. Before that, it can be fairly "sporty" and wet! Around the Christmas/New Year time frame, finding a mooring or quiet anchorage can be a challenge, due to the abundance of boats...

Look us up when you get there...we arrive mid-Dec.

Sandy
s/v Outta Control

Tags
British Virgin Islands, liveaboard