Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2012, 20:56   #1

Fort Lauderdale Overnight vs Liveaboard

We are aware there are multiple locations in Fort Lauderdale that offer
good live aboard facilities. However, for berths that are rented from private residences where regulations prevent living aboard, do these regulations generally prevent a boat owner from sleeping aboard the vessel on a strictly
recreational, infrequent, basis for example, a few nights per month? Generally is there a minimum / maximum allowed?

Thanks to anyone who has info / experience on the topic.
Habana Vieja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 07:15   #2

Boat: Rhodes 32
Re: Fort Lauderdale Overnight vs Liveaboard

The only allowance made is for say coming in late and sleeping the night you get in.

You are probably aware of the liveaboard dockage on Hendricks Isle and Isle of Venice. Dockage rates at high season now are say $600 to $800 per month plus electric. Another option is the marina where my office is, Royal Palm. Monthly rate is $20 / foot.

Also draft, beam, and length affect what is available.
Richard Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 08:38   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

It's important to note what specific regulations may be preventing livingaboard. There is the requirement in Fort Lauderdale that liveaboards, outside of marinas with pumpout facilities, must have a pump out hose attached to the vessel with a functioning system while at their liveaboard slip. This requirement, and not specific covenants and restrictions has been a common reason why a liveaboard would not be allowed at a private dock. This pump out facility is present for those on the docks at places like Hendricks Isle.
Old 15-02-2012, 09:13   #4

Boat: 43 ft Selene/Solo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
It's important to note what specific regulations may be preventing livingaboard. There is the requirement in Fort Lauderdale that liveaboards, outside of marinas with pumpout facilities, must have a pump out hose attached to the vessel with a functioning system while at their liveaboard slip. This requirement, and not specific covenants and restrictions has been a common reason why a liveaboard would not be allowed at a private dock. This pump out facility is present for those on the docks at places like Hendricks Isle.
Where is this regulation written? Can you provide a city code?
Ralph Waldo Emerson
captain465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 13:17   #5

Boat: Rhodes 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain465
It's not just regulations. Many dock owners I talk to prefer not to have someone staying overnight behind their house whether there are regulations or not.
Richard Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 13:30   #6
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

The neigbors will will the cops or code enforcement if folks are living on a boat in a residential canal.
Not only for pollution but also for invasion of privacy.

Stay for free in the Lake Sylvia anchorage, but limited to 24 hrs.

The clock starts when a police boat shows up to ask if you are aware of the 24 hr rule.
Old 15-02-2012, 16:08   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain465 View Post
No, I can not! My information is just from what I have as secondhand from dock and property owners on Hendricks Isle. Although Fort Lauderdale is my hometown from childhood, I have been liveaboard cruising for forty years and I don't have a single community anywhere! This is why I carefully phrased my statements without confirmed knowledge.
Old 15-02-2012, 16:20   #8

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
However, for berths that are rented from private residences where regulations prevent living aboard, do these regulations generally prevent a boat owner from sleeping aboard the vessel on a strictly
recreational, infrequent, basis for example, a few nights per month?
I think the answer is no, there are no "enforced" regulations that prevent this. You may find a homeowner or a neighbor doesn't want you to do this, but in my opinion it is done very frequently. Ask the owner of the dock and see what he/she says. Most people who live on these canals are some sort of boater too, and they appreciate the idea that someone might want to spend a night or two on their boat.
Old 15-02-2012, 20:19   #9

Quote:
but in my opinion it is done very frequently.
What living on boats in residential canals?

Not very frequently, not even close.
It is frowned upon and other reidents will complain in a very short time.

I have lived on such a canal for 13 years and only seen it happen a couple of times and then only for a day or two.

When boats are renting a dock from me, I ask to find a nearby hotel room and have them sign a contract with one of the paragraphs being no live-aboard.
Old 15-02-2012, 20:26   #10

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

Fort Lauderdale used to be friendly toward yachties many years ago. Then the big money and the megayachts moved in and pushed the yachties out. It's even hard to find liveaboard space in a marina that does not cost an arm and a leg if you can find it at all. I lived at Harbourtowne in Dania for a couple of years, but it would have been cheaper to rent a house.

I don't particulary like South Florida now that the big money came in. Even West Marine tends to cater to the megayachts because that is where the money is. Before the big money arrived, I would find regular yachties all the time in West Marine. Things are different now.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 04:51   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post
Fort Lauderdale used to be friendly toward yachties many years ago. Then the big money and the megayachts moved in and pushed the yachties out...........................
I'm not sure how many years are, "many years ago", but I started boating in Fort Lauderdale in 1955. At that time the people with the "big money" had all the opportunities. Now, like then, the affordable opportunities were far up the New River or up the Dania Cut Off Canal.
Old 16-02-2012, 05:44   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain465 View Post
In May 1997, the City adopted Ordinance C-97-11
requiring that vessels, where habitation is occurring, be connected to a marine sanitation system.
The ordinance also requires all vessels to be connected to a marine sanitation system when certain water quality standards have not been met...

City of Fort Lauderdale Comprehensive Plan (Ordinance C-08-18)
Volume II – Coastal Management Element
Page 12 ➥ http://ci.ftlaud.fl.us/documents/com...l2_coastal.pdf

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 06:33   #13

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Ft. Lauderdale may be able to regulate 'liveaboards', but liveaboard is defined by the state of Florida, not Ft. Lauderdale. AND, Ft. Lauderdale cannot regulate a vessel in navigation while at anchor, per the Florida state law.

See:
http://www.boatus.com/gov/GA005FLAnchoring.pdf

The problem has been that a municipality can have any ordinance they so desire on their books and until someone takes them to court, where a judge will order the municipality to cease enforcement of such illegal ordinance, the municipality may very well attempt to enforce their (illegal) ordinance. So, the bullying tactics may well prevail until someone with enough time and big enough kahunas decides to file a suit. It all depends on the attitude of the city leaders (as directed by their constituents), it is possible to use the court of public opinion to get a municipality to do what's right, but remember it's normally the noisy citizens who pushed for the ordinance in the first place.

After the Florida code was changed in 2009, there are many older municipal ordinances, that are now deemed illegal, still on the books. There is no incentive by local governments to pay legal staff to search for such regulation and change it, hence it's up them whether they want to try and enforce it or not.

It's not illegal to have the ordinance on the books, it's illegal to enforce it.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 08:04   #14

Fort Lauderdale has nothing against liveaboards, but there are two kinds of canals and docks: Those you can live on, and those you can not.
Pretty simple rules, easy to comply with and no confusion.

If somebody is looking for an inexpensive liveaboard dock with showers and parking, shoot me a PM.
Old 16-02-2012, 11:37   #15

Thanks to all who have responded to our query. Based on comments thus far, the picture seems pretty clear. As in all things temporal, there are realities, probabilities and possibilities. For long range cruisers, i.e. a couple with a very capable boat, deep draft, wanting to spend a few months aboard in FLL before heading north,south ( or deciding to buy a home there) it looks like the best options are the Isles of Hendricks or Venice. Is there a marina that competes? That said, the intrigue occurring between past practice, current legislation, and - well, political power and social conflict all clearly play a role in what comes to pass on a day-to-day basis.

If we were going to do the same exercise in,for example Newport Beach, Ca. the marinas have monthly rates and they have visitor rates. How long a monthly renter can stay aboard varies from marina to marina. In some, three nights per week are allowed, in some, only one is allowed, in others, there are no restrictions. However, what makes FLL interesting is that the number of private docks available in Newport Beach are limited yet such an option would seem to give one a more authentic lay-of-the-land
(perhpas we should say water) than conventional marina life. No?
HV
Habana Vieja is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fort lauderdale, liveaboard