Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2018, 21:08   #586

Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornadosailing View Post
Yes, the deal changed. Mostly because Riley had no interest in moving aboard, sailing for a year, then having to make sure he was back in southern France a year later so they could move off the boat. So it turned into a one year lease (which has already passed) and the lease payments would be made by Outremer as long as they made 2 videos a month. Then the lease expired and they purchased the boat for a steep discount, and I believe Outremer had something to do with getting the loan approved. They are no longer beholden to anyone other than whoever financed the boat. At least that's how I remember the deal going down.

I saw that Matthieu from Outremer was on board early this spring for a "visit". I would bet that the purpose of his visit was to finalize the transfer paperwork from the lease to the purchase. The timing would make sense anyway.
I don't think they needed anyone to help them get financing approved. They're making an estimated $300K+ per year just from their Patreon income alone. They can easily afford financing on such a boat. I'm sure they did get a great deal on the boat itself, they're a great promotional outlet for the Outremer brand as it's clearly written on the bottom of their main sale along with a YouTube logo and their channel name.
Old 15-08-2018, 04:46   #587

Boat: FP Salina 48, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatingnewbie View Post
I don't think they needed anyone to help them get financing approved. They're making an estimated $300K+ per year just from their Patreon income alone. They can easily afford financing on such a boat. I'm sure they did get a great deal on the boat itself, they're a great promotional outlet for the Outremer brand as it's clearly written on the bottom of their main sale along with a YouTube logo and their channel name.
They make more than enough money, but are lacking a couple of critical pieces to make a bank happy. First is the YouTube business. I don't think most banks know what you think of it. Underwriters have no idea how to assess the stability of it, and the likelihood of continued income. Not enough data, and they'll pass. Second is the lack of an address. Banks don't like not knowing how to find you. Third is the lack of a similar large boat loan for a history. I make more money than R&E, have a normal business, have an address, and an exceptional credit score. When I was looking at buying a boat for charter, they declined the loan on a 47, but would do a 44. They had an arbitrary threshold for how much they would loan a first time yacht buyer, and the 47 exceeded it.

Now imagine R&E going to the bank with their situation. Three year old YouTube business that's only been making real money for a year, no address, never bought a yacht on credit before, and probably have used credit very sparingly over their lives resulting in a lack of solid payment history. They needed a cosigner.
Old 15-08-2018, 06:02   #588

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wireless1 View Post
It's great that you support them with their "views " numbers---so at least they DO benefit a little from you with your participation.
My participation? I haven't actually watched any YT sailing videos for quite some time now. It got boring, and quickly. I sometimes do, every six months or so, just to see what's up. Thus, I can't imagine that my occasional YT "views" add up to much. For me, time is money. If they are able to get some cash from YT views, that's cool. I could care less. I've said it here numerous times, and no offense, but my money stays in my wallet. Maybe I'm odd, but I don't toss out money to strangers on the street, nor strangers sailing around on life-long vacations with some beer, bikinis, and a camera.
Old 15-08-2018, 08:52   #589

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

I'm a retired guy and I don't have enough time in the day to watch the countless YT sailing channels out there, much less the new one that seems to pop up every day. Not to say I don't watch any, but so many are trying to jump on the band wagon of an already saturated market. I'd rather go down to my boat and actually go sailing, than watch more "beautiful" people doing it...
Old 15-08-2018, 08:56   #590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souzag818 View Post
I'm a retired guy and I don't have enough time in the day to watch the countless YT sailing channels out there, much less the new one that seems to pop up every day. Not to say I don't watch any, but so many are trying to jump on the band wagon of an already saturated market. I'd rather go down to my boat and actually go sailing, than watch more "beautiful" people doing it...
That's what made us go cruising again. Three years ago, I had been watching the Sailing La Vagabond videos, for a couple of months before turning to my wife and saying, "Hey, we have a perfectly good 42 foot sloop sitting at the marina. Let's quit watching these videos and go cruising again!" We did.
Old 15-08-2018, 17:06   #591

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
That's what made us go cruising again. Three years ago, I had been watching the Sailing La Vagabond videos, for a couple of months before turning to my wife and saying, "Hey, we have a perfectly good 42 foot sloop sitting at the marina. Let's quit watching these videos and go cruising again!" We did.
Your reply made me laugh! Thanks for sharing!

Like ... "Hey honey, don't we own a chateau and vineyard somewhere in France? Let's stop watching these videos and go drink some of our wine."
Old 15-08-2018, 17:10   #592

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souzag818 View Post
Same with me ... time is money.
No time for watching, let alone contributing ($$$) to, the current Internet bandwagon. I don't even have time to type this message ... haha
Old 15-08-2018, 17:23   #593
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Is there any good video blogger that has done Asia in detail?
Bump!
Old 15-08-2018, 18:02   #594

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Quote:
Bump!
Search YouTube for followtheboat.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Old 22-08-2018, 18:40   #595

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
Your reply made me laugh! Thanks for sharing!

Like ... "Hey honey, don't we own a chateau and vineyard somewhere in France? Let's stop watching these videos and go drink some of our wine."
You’ve made it pretty clear you hate people who cruise and video it. So why exactly do you continue to follow this thread? Oh, yeah. Because you think you can convince us to be as bitter and depressed as as you are. Sorry. Not going to happen. Life is too good!

Here is an idea for you. Just try and be happy with your life and don’t brood over everyone elses’s happiness. It’s on you. Make it happen.
Old 22-08-2018, 19:51   #596
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
Search YouTube for followtheboat.
Thanks, have watched all 121 episodes and will buy them some rum.
Fun couple and I hope our anchorages cross paths as they head north and we head south from Subic to Langkawi, where we will cruise from that area for a change.
Old 23-08-2018, 06:25   #597

Quote:
Bump!
Delos did a bunch of videos from their time in SE Asia. Video quality wasn't near what they produce today, but it was still enjoyable to watch for me.

My latest channel I'm watching is Sailing Lattitude (cheesy boat name, but reasonably enjoyable couple to watch from Australia iirc). I'm enjoying they he already knows how to sail and they bought a boat similar to the size/style that I'm considering for myself in the future. They got it in the Med and are sailing it back home.
Old 23-08-2018, 18:26   #598

I have watched a number of these and wondered. If these people are taking video and documenting there lives in various countries, would that count as a job? Do they have work visa's for each country?
Old 23-08-2018, 18:43   #599

Boat: Fountain Pajot, Helia 44 Evolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVMusic View Post
We too are a couple that have started a website/blog and youtube channel. Honestly, we started it so that our friends and family could keep and eye on us! (We tend to be people that see no limits and crazy things just happen to us[emoji3].)

We don't expect to build and audience overnight and quite frankly, if we don't, that is still okay. For years we watched others' adventures and worked hard to get to a place that we could have our own. But it sure is fun to make videos and document our experiences and maybe, just maybe, others will enjoy it too!

The secret to a happy life is to do what you love and somehow figure out how to get paid for it. Who knows, maybe we will!
Cara
Couldn't agree more with you. As long as you don't become a slave to "the number" and just enjoy what you are doing... Mission accomplished. You can blog for fun you know [emoji1]
Old 23-08-2018, 22:27   #600

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

The sailing uma are documenting a change over to lithium. 1st video up now on YouTube.

It will be interesting to follow and see how well it works out, they have electric only motor and get 10-15minutes at 4-5kn currently on old batteries, they hope to get 5 hours at 4-5kn I think he said and be able to fully charge in 8 hours with 25Amp charger. That sounds optimistic to me but he's pretty capable.
Closed Thread

Tags
liveaboard