Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2018, 05:41   #541
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Kansas
Boat: FP Salina 48, Hobie 33
Posts: 262
Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post
I can well imagine what their job entails, but have difficulty seeing any pleasure..
Some people make videos because they derive pleasure from it. You (and I) are not one of those people. I personally enjoy chasing down difficult electrical problems on cars. It's not the kind of thing the average Joe enjoys, but I do. If I were doing this in paradise, would it then be sad?

There is such a thing as enjoying your work. I for one am glad some people enjoy making travel videos.
__________________

Tornadosailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 07:36   #542
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 1,037
Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

And while I no longer watch them I can imagine Riley prefers shooting video more than working on a North Sea oil rig.
__________________

__________________
Keth

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 18:01   #543
Registered User
 
Group9's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,796
Images: 10
Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornadosailing View Post
I don't know if I'd call it sad. I would definitely call it a full time job.

I think of it this way: When I was in my late 20's and early 30's, my full time job was to turn wrenches fixing cars inside a shop in Kansas. These various Youtube sailors have a full time job as well, but their job puts them on a sailboat in exotic locations. How can that be sad?
I was thinking the same thing. Anyone who thinks sailing in exotic locations and filming it for a living is sad, would be suicidal if they heard about some of the jobs and places I have worked.
__________________
Cruising again!
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2018, 04:09   #544
Registered User
 
Quebramar's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Brussels
Boat: Najad 373
Posts: 63
Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Nothing sad, its a matter of choice in what they may consider feasible options to them I guess.
Everyone can choose their lifestyle but whatever it is, not everyone can afford to be jobless
Quebramar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2018, 04:18   #545
Registered User
 
double u's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Port du Crouesty, France
Boat: Elan 410
Posts: 1,333
Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

as to "sad" - let me elucidate a bit more with a real-live example from 1990 what - not only - I consider sad:
a magnificent red Ron Holland 50 something pulls into Tahauku Bay, Hiva Oa after their passage from the Galapagos - & one guy spends hours sanding the teak-toerail with the orbiting sander in preparation for the varnish.
So anybody by who's standard it isn't sad to sail all this long way to paradise, to spend one's time sanding & varnishing before even having been ashore - they are welcome!
__________________
...not all who wander are lost!
double u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2018, 05:42   #546
Registered User
 
BlackHeron's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Chicago -for now...
Boat: Hallberg-Rassy Rasmus 35
Posts: 238
Images: 18
Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post
as to "sad" - let me elucidate a bit more with a real-live example from 1990 what - not only - I consider sad:
a magnificent red Ron Holland 50 something pulls into Tahauku Bay, Hiva Oa after their passage from the Galapagos - & one guy spends hours sanding the teak-toerail with the orbiting sander in preparation for the varnish.
So anybody by who's standard it isn't sad to sail all this long way to paradise, to spend one's time sanding & varnishing before even having been ashore - they are welcome!
Tropical paradise isn't everyone's cup of tea I suppose. Some folks prefer sanding, or staring into a drone controller or camera screen rather than enjoying the beauty first-hand with their own eyes without needing to worry about framing, and getting enough content to blend up exciting footage for the next episode.
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2018, 06:02   #547
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 990
Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeron View Post
Some folks prefer sanding, or staring into a drone controller or camera screen...
Is it a matter of perspective. Allow me to offer one perspective:

setting in the home shop, the task at hand is to sharpen my chisels and irons for my planes (woodworking). Surely I could use the electric machinery but that would destroy my mood for I like to hear and feel metal upon stone.

So I set about it. And the hours slip away without notice. I fairly say I rejoice in the moment.

So there it is for that moment. For the youtuber, their moment is in the future and may/may not be solely in the editing but also in the delight gotten by which they have crafted a thing which itself has brought delight to others. I have built houses which became homes. I have found huge satisfaction in saying, if only to myself, I built that. If they should realize shekals from the experience even better I suppose. Further, I suppose some or in it just for the money but how do I know. More so, why should I, or we, care? If they be money grubbers, well, there be enough of them and what then, are you to fight the rising tide? The way of the world and all that. Sorry existence and so on. So, what about your own self?

EDIT: Black Heron: only that you mentioned sanding and staring into what? did I think to reply to your comment. But my comment was not solely aimed at yourself. It's just that you got me to thinking of the various endeavors of what life has to offer.
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2018, 06:43   #548
Registered User
 
dwedeking2's Avatar

Join Date: May 2014
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Morgan Out Island 415
Posts: 516
Images: 1
Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeron View Post
Tropical paradise isn't everyone's cup of tea I suppose. Some folks prefer sanding, or staring into a drone controller or camera screen rather than enjoying the beauty first-hand with their own eyes without needing to worry about framing, and getting enough content to blend up exciting footage for the next episode.
I took up photography specifically because, at the time, I was one of those "go-go-go" types. After selling my businesses I realized that with that type of mentality I was not paying attention to the things around me and enjoying them. Photography forced me to slow down, really look at my surroundings - even imagine them at different angles, different lighting to come back for specific shots I saw in my head.

On a first time visit to a new place I usually just walk and enjoy it for myself, imagining shots as I go. This forces me to slow down and appreciate it. Then I'll come back later when the lighting is right to take my shots.

I could see video work doing the same thing, for me.
dwedeking2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2018, 08:04   #549
Registered User
 
BlackHeron's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Chicago -for now...
Boat: Hallberg-Rassy Rasmus 35
Posts: 238
Images: 18
Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard5 View Post
Is it a matter of perspective. Allow me to offer one perspective:



EDIT: Black Heron: only that you mentioned sanding and staring into what?
DRONE CONTROLLER



You can look at the landscape and enjoy it organically with your own eyes, or peer through a tiny electronic window at it instead. Life is all about choices.
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2018, 08:45   #550
Registered User
 
funjohnson's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Out cruising again (maybe Caribbean)
Boat: 37' aluminum pilothouse "Elements"
Posts: 1,999
Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeron View Post
DRONE CONTROLLER



You can look at the landscape and enjoy it organically with your own eyes, or peer through a tiny electronic window at it instead. Life is all about choices.

Yes, but that drone controller lets you see things you can't with your own eyes from ground level. Free as a bird!

Here are my thoughts on the subject of making Youtube videos in pretty places...

We cruised before videos and now with doing them-

Before, we'd go into a harbor on some island, enjoy what was immediately around us then cast off and head to the next spot. Many days were spent lounging around on a beach, snorkeling, reading or sitting in a cafe. We got board with the life of leisure. We could have done more exploring on land, but it was hard to get ourselves motivated to spend the money and time to go do the 'guide book tour'.... seeing the 'must see' stuff wasn't usually in our budget.

We needed something to do that required our hands and minds.... we needed to produce something. Not knowing what it was that we wanted to do, we bought a new boat to rebuild (I had wanted to try something like that for awhile) and went to work on it.

My wife started videos just for fun, but it quickly became a source of income and entertainment. I was still hesitant putting our lives out there and the other negative things you've mentioned about it dulling you to your surroundings, but once we left the dock, it became a stimulation and opportunity to make a product; to produce something, we greatly needed (she's into it way more than I am, but I'm coming along).

Now, due to having some income and needing to film, we get to explore much deeper the places we visit. Instead of sitting on the boat wishing we had the ability to rent a scooter to see beyond the harbor, we not only can, but we need to for interesting things to film. We don't see it as a prison requiring us to slave below deck editing or missing out on living, but as the freedom to do what we wanted our first go around, but didn't have the means to do at the time. It's also a great motivator to get off our butts on those blase' days and do something more interesting and exciting than sitting below deck reading.

Matt
__________________
Youtube MJ sailing - Vlog
MJSailing.com - Written Blog
Rebuilt Aluminum Boat Over 2 Years... Now Back Cruising!
funjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2018, 08:56   #551
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 35
Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Yes, but that drone controller lets you see things you can't with your own eyes from ground level. Free as a bird!

Here are my thoughts on the subject of making Youtube videos in pretty places...

We cruised before videos and now with doing them-

Before, we'd go into a harbor on some island, enjoy what was immediately around us then cast off and head to the next spot. Many days were spent lounging around on a beach, snorkeling, reading or sitting in a cafe. We got board with the life of leisure. We could have done more exploring on land, but it was hard to get ourselves motivated to spend the money and time to go do the 'guide book tour'.... seeing the 'must see' stuff wasn't usually in our budget.

We needed something to do that required our hands and minds.... we needed to produce something. Not knowing what it was that we wanted to do, we bought a new boat to rebuild (I had wanted to try something like that for awhile) and went to work on it.

My wife started videos just for fun, but it quickly became a source of income and entertainment. I was still hesitant putting our lives out there and the other negative things you've mentioned about it dulling you to your surroundings, but once we left the dock, it became a stimulation and opportunity to make a product; to produce something, we greatly needed (she's into it way more than I am, but I'm coming along).

Now, due to having some income and needing to film, we get to explore much deeper the places we visit. Instead of sitting on the boat wishing we had the ability to rent a scooter to see beyond the harbor, we not only can, but we need to for interesting things to film. We don't see it as a prison requiring us to slave below deck editing or missing out on living, but as the freedom to do what we wanted our first go around, but didn't have the means to do at the time. It's also a great motivator to get off our butts on those blase' days and do something more interesting and exciting than sitting below deck reading.

Matt
I enjoy yours and other Vlogs immensely. Being tied up in owning a business and mortgage gets old quickly. We do get to escape for brief period to the keys or Bahamas but nothing like you guys do.
Because of your Vlog and others I have a new appreciation for sail boats where as prior to these cruising videos I wouldn't give a sailboat a second thought. Now I am thinking of giving up my sport fishing boat for a sail boat in the long term So your work is appreciated and can have an effect on people
So keep it up!
willpower1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2018, 09:14   #552
Registered User
 
funjohnson's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Out cruising again (maybe Caribbean)
Boat: 37' aluminum pilothouse "Elements"
Posts: 1,999
Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by willpower1 View Post
I enjoy yours and other Vlogs immensely. Being tied up in owning a business and mortgage gets old quickly. We do get to escape for brief period to the keys or Bahamas but nothing like you guys do.
Because of your Vlog and others I have a new appreciation for sail boats where as prior to these cruising videos I wouldn't give a sailboat a second thought. Now I am thinking of giving up my sport fishing boat for a sail boat in the long term So your work is appreciated and can have an effect on people
So keep it up!
Thank you for the kind words.

Sport fishing boats are beautiful and awesome tools, but make lousy liveaboard cruisers. Come to the dark side of the slow moving (but much less expensive to run) world of sailing. You can make up for the 'need of speed' with a fast dinghy

Matt
__________________
Youtube MJ sailing - Vlog
MJSailing.com - Written Blog
Rebuilt Aluminum Boat Over 2 Years... Now Back Cruising!
funjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2018, 09:17   #553
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 519
Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeron View Post
Tropical paradise isn't everyone's cup of tea I suppose. Some folks prefer sanding, or staring into a drone controller or camera screen rather than enjoying the beauty first-hand with their own eyes without needing to worry about framing, and getting enough content to blend up exciting footage for the next episode.
I think I see your point, but nobody flies a drone all day (batteries run out) and some people get MORE out of tropical paradise with a drone...

I've been to deserted little tropical islands that are not in the guide books that we own. Hop on shore, explore the edge of the jungle as far as the beach allows, then sit on the sand all afternoon listening to the gentle waves and exotic bird calls, with the scent of tropical flowers in the breeze. Relaxed. Down to the soul.
-THEN-
Fly the drone for a 15 minutes way up high and have a "holy cow" moment: Spot a small rocky waterfall farther into the trees, and an impossibly clear lagoon on the other side of the island. Grab the snorkel gear and dinghy and turn a nice afternoon into an epic adventure that gets re-told every time our family gets together, two years later.

(note: We now fly the drone FIRST. A 15 min flight can give you weeks of good information.)
cyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2018, 17:42   #554
Registered User
 
BlackHeron's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Chicago -for now...
Boat: Hallberg-Rassy Rasmus 35
Posts: 238
Images: 18
Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Yes, but that drone controller lets you see things you can't with your own eyes from ground level. Free as a bird!



Matt

Matt, you and Jessica make really great videos and your vlog is one of my top-5 favorites on youtube. I watch every one right as they come out.

I think it is a fine line. Having a fun extra hobby making videos to share online and having it make a little extra cash is awesome. Making enough to pay for the video/audio equipment, drones, video processing software and hardware, and the upload bandwith is great if you really enjoy it and get something back out of it besides just the money. Having a hobby that pays its own way is almost always a good thing.

But isn't there a point where you start making a bit of extra cash, and find a lot more places to spend that extra cash beyond the gear necessary to create, and get a little hooked on that cash coming in at fairly regular intervals? Once one starts to spend more money and expand the budget it is hard to cut back again, so the videos need to keep rolling, subscriber numbers need to keep going up, and pretty soon there is that temptation to zoom into the GF/wife's cleavage a little too often, finding gratuitous excuses for it like her bending over cleaning a fish when the fish itself is barely even on the screen...

I see it happen all too often on the videos I used to like which have gone super-high subscription numbers. It seems it is like a drug, and every week they need to push the envelope a little further to keep those clicks and find those new subscribers to replace the ones that always tend to slip away. So far you guys have kept it pretty real. I hope you are immune to to all of this.

Maybe it is just me, but a large reason why I wanted to escape the rat race was to get away from it, not just find another way to plug back into it again. Having a schedule and needing to produce content on a weekly basis seems pretty antithetical to the lifestyle I am looking forward to enjoying. I'm no stranger to work, and have had a pretty successful career making my bosses, and in turn myself, heap-loads of money. But I look forward to a life where when someone asks me what day of the week it is, or even what month it is, I will have to think about it a few seconds. Maybe someday I'll even lose track of what year it is...
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2018, 00:53   #555
Registered User
 
CatNewBee's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2017
Boat: Lagoon 400S2
Posts: 1,110
Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

As long as you enjoy what you are doing, it is not a rat race, but fun. Sailing can be an addiction too...

Even being lazy all day long can be addictive.

Just keep doing what makes you happy...
__________________

CatNewBee is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
liveaboard

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to post a Youtube Video (with Viewer) using Youtube APP Steadman Uhlich Forum Tech Support & Site Help 2 30-11-2016 14:10
What do the stars under my username mean? BadFish Forum Tech Support & Site Help 17 12-01-2009 08:40
Shooting Stars Jack Long General Sailing Forum 26 19-08-2008 13:18
Where are the stars. Islandmike General Sailing Forum 18 11-04-2006 12:00
Now you get stars for posting!!! Gisle Forum News & Announcements 6 12-05-2003 00:18



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 15:29.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.