Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 11-04-2018, 05:41   #541

Boat: FP Salina 48, Hobie 33
Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post
I can well imagine what their job entails, but have difficulty seeing any pleasure..
Some people make videos because they derive pleasure from it. You (and I) are not one of those people. I personally enjoy chasing down difficult electrical problems on cars. It's not the kind of thing the average Joe enjoys, but I do. If I were doing this in paradise, would it then be sad?

There is such a thing as enjoying your work. I for one am glad some people enjoy making travel videos.

Old 11-04-2018, 07:36   #542

And while I no longer watch them I can imagine Riley prefers shooting video more than working on a North Sea oil rig.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 18:01   #543

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornadosailing View Post
I don't know if I'd call it sad. I would definitely call it a full time job.

I think of it this way: When I was in my late 20's and early 30's, my full time job was to turn wrenches fixing cars inside a shop in Kansas. These various Youtube sailors have a full time job as well, but their job puts them on a sailboat in exotic locations. How can that be sad?
I was thinking the same thing. Anyone who thinks sailing in exotic locations and filming it for a living is sad, would be suicidal if they heard about some of the jobs and places I have worked.
Old 17-04-2018, 04:09   #544

Boat: Najad 373

Nothing sad, its a matter of choice in what they may consider feasible options to them I guess.
Everyone can choose their lifestyle but whatever it is, not everyone can afford to be jobless
Old 17-04-2018, 04:18   #545

as to "sad" - let me elucidate a bit more with a real-live example from 1990 what - not only - I consider sad:
a magnificent red Ron Holland 50 something pulls into Tahauku Bay, Hiva Oa after their passage from the Galapagos - & one guy spends hours sanding the teak-toerail with the orbiting sander in preparation for the varnish.
So anybody by who's standard it isn't sad to sail all this long way to paradise, to spend one's time sanding & varnishing before even having been ashore - they are welcome!
Old 17-04-2018, 05:42   #546

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy Rasmus 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post
as to "sad" - let me elucidate a bit more with a real-live example from 1990 what - not only - I consider sad:
a magnificent red Ron Holland 50 something pulls into Tahauku Bay, Hiva Oa after their passage from the Galapagos - & one guy spends hours sanding the teak-toerail with the orbiting sander in preparation for the varnish.
So anybody by who's standard it isn't sad to sail all this long way to paradise, to spend one's time sanding & varnishing before even having been ashore - they are welcome!
Tropical paradise isn't everyone's cup of tea I suppose. Some folks prefer sanding, or staring into a drone controller or camera screen rather than enjoying the beauty first-hand with their own eyes without needing to worry about framing, and getting enough content to blend up exciting footage for the next episode.
Old 17-04-2018, 06:02   #547

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeron View Post
Some folks prefer sanding, or staring into a drone controller or camera screen...
Is it a matter of perspective. Allow me to offer one perspective:

setting in the home shop, the task at hand is to sharpen my chisels and irons for my planes (woodworking). Surely I could use the electric machinery but that would destroy my mood for I like to hear and feel metal upon stone.

So I set about it. And the hours slip away without notice. I fairly say I rejoice in the moment.

So there it is for that moment. For the youtuber, their moment is in the future and may/may not be solely in the editing but also in the delight gotten by which they have crafted a thing which itself has brought delight to others. I have built houses which became homes. I have found huge satisfaction in saying, if only to myself, I built that. If they should realize shekals from the experience even better I suppose. Further, I suppose some or in it just for the money but how do I know. More so, why should I, or we, care? If they be money grubbers, well, there be enough of them and what then, are you to fight the rising tide? The way of the world and all that. Sorry existence and so on. So, what about your own self?

EDIT: Black Heron: only that you mentioned sanding and staring into what? did I think to reply to your comment. But my comment was not solely aimed at yourself. It's just that you got me to thinking of the various endeavors of what life has to offer.

Tags
liveaboard

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: