Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2018, 19:41   #526

Boat: Lindsey Center Cockpit 39' Ketch
Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by softdown View Post
I would guess the catamaran manufacturer felt this was good advertising. The young couple will now just have to tell us how "vastly superior" the catamaran design is. Well....a million dollar sailboat would have also been a large upgrade.

Catamaran is a nice design in many ways. I see two problems for the normal, global sailor:
1) Price
2) Good luck if it winds up upside down.

This may, or may not, have a happy ending. Being on a million dollar catamaran may wind up in a large loss in viewership. Conversely, it could wind up in numerous catamaran sales. Perhaps both.

EDIT: Can't help but wonder if the gift would have been made without the drop dead beauty of the young lady. Perhaps.....200,000 viewers is a lot.

The Cat was not “a Free gift to them” but sold to them at a reduced rate. Still not a bad deal.

S/V Water Wings
Old 10-04-2018, 00:55   #527

Boat: None at present.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heg View Post
Thanks so much for the comments. Believe it or not, hubby is actually a sound engineer , however we didn't have a decent microphone for the first two videos. (He wasn't a happy bunny at all .) However all that should change with the next one. We now have some super duper Shure stuff to play with, so hopefully the dodgy audio will be a thing of the past.
Didn't have a drone either ( that arrived today) ,so super excited to start using that.
You won't cure dodgy audio by using a better mike alone. Your audio needs post processing, particularly the sound levels. I too get p***d off with the great videos the regulars produce, but most of them don't take enough care with their audio. There is a free programme called Audacity which has the ability to equalise the sound levels. make sure you download the free version & the two plug ins you need to produce MP3 quality & strip audio from videos. https://www.audacityteam.org/ There is also a forum to discuss problems.
Old 10-04-2018, 13:33   #528

Boat: Passport 40

You know what I find sad..how much of their time places is spent filming, editing and finding places to upload content. I once saw a little bit on someone who had just joined Delos and what filming was expected of them. They were supposedly never to be without a camera. think of how you experience something differently if you are constantly thinking how it will look on the camera rather than just enjoying it.

La Vagabond in one of their recent videos talked about what a typical week was like for them. It was like they spent two days getting footage (their words) and then five days editing and getting it off on time

So yes these people are making a living at it, yes it is entertaining to someone who has yet to set out, but at the same time I think of how much time they lose with the business of making money and how in some senses it may put a block in their actual experience.

Just a thought
Old 10-04-2018, 13:42   #529

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjwiley1 View Post
The Cat was not “a Free gift to them” but sold to them at a reduced rate. Still not a bad deal.
The way I understood from their explanation was that it was to be theirs based on "payment" of two videos per month published (I know they mentioned that specifically in one video about it). Not sure about insurance costs etc, if that's included in the arrangement or what, but I don't think they have a "traditional loan" on it so much as "an arrangement with the manufacturer".
Old 10-04-2018, 13:46   #530

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookiesailor View Post
You know what I find sad..how much of their time places is spent filming, editing and finding places to upload content. I once saw a little bit on someone who had just joined Delos and what filming was expected of them. They were supposedly never to be without a camera. think of how you experience something differently if you are constantly thinking how it will look on the camera rather than just enjoying it.

La Vagabond in one of their recent videos talked about what a typical week was like for them. It was like they spent two days getting footage (their words) and then five days editing and getting it off on time

So yes these people are making a living at it, yes it is entertaining to someone who has yet to set out, but at the same time I think of how much time they lose with the business of making money and how in some senses it may put a block in their actual experience.

Just a thought
I remember that one. 5 days for boat maintenance/work, post production, uploads, provisioning for next set of guests, planning routes and stops to entertain guests/viewers, 2 days of sailing/enjoyment WHILE filming most/all of that time. 5 days of work to spend 2 days working an enjoyable job. Not my idea of a great time sailing the world. Their relief when they set out across the Atlantic alone (only provisioning for two again "finally") seemed quite real, and a bit played down. Getting back to mostly enjoying sailing for the crossing (with some filming/post work) had to be like taking a vacation for SLV.

It reminded me of something I first noticed on Sailing Uma - the "production" filming. Going somewhere, to set up a camera, to catch video of them going where they'd set up the camera to film them going, etc... that has to take away a good bit of the joy of being there in the first place.
Old 10-04-2018, 13:59   #531

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcnuke View Post
The way I understood from their explanation was that it was to be theirs based on "payment" of two videos per month published (I know they mentioned that specifically in one video about it). Not sure about insurance costs etc, if that's included in the arrangement or what, but I don't think they have a "traditional loan" on it so much as "an arrangement with the manufacturer".
They got the boat at a reduced rate, make no payments until xxxx and agree to produce videos that feature the cat. By no means a bad deal, but far from free. As the other posts mentioned, they are hustling for their lifestyle.
Old 10-04-2018, 14:36   #532

Boat: FP Salina 48, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookiesailor View Post

Just a thought
I don't know if I'd call it sad. I would definitely call it a full time job.

I think of it this way: When I was in my late 20's and early 30's, my full time job was to turn wrenches fixing cars inside a shop in Kansas. These various Youtube sailors have a full time job as well, but their job puts them on a sailboat in exotic locations. How can that be sad?
Old 10-04-2018, 17:14   #533
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub

It is certainly a treadmill. I watched LaVaga from before they got famous until they got the cat, and it sure seems to me that they "lost something" in translation somewhere in between. I'm sure they are happier than they were working on an oil rig or singing at sleazy nightclubs in the med. But they sure seem to not be having as much fun as before.

I can say as a watcher I no longer had fun and haven't bothered to watch one since they got on the cat. The kind of lifestyle they are living now doesn't interest me and it's not anything I'd want for myself.

I won't miss an episode of Followtheboat or Adventure Adrift. I'm a huge fan of Sail Life too, but that is a DIY show for the foreseeable future. Shows like these and MJ Sailing or those silly Canadians Shawn and Julia are more "realistic" IMHO, and represent the actual kind of live-aboard cruising we hope to be doing in a few short months ourselves. LaVaga, the Wynns, Delos...I just can't relate, so it isn't fun to watch for me. But I can see how they really attract the non-sailing viewers who just want an unrealistic escapist show they can watch and dream unrealistic dreams with.
Old 10-04-2018, 17:48   #534

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeron View Post
LaVaga, the Wynns, Delos...I just can't relate, so it isn't fun to watch for me. But I can see how they really attract the non-sailing viewers who just want an unrealistic escapist show they can watch and dream unrealistic dreams with.
I binge-watched most of Sailing Zatara and while I found some of it cringe-worthy, it was interesting to see how a relatively "normal" family dealt with their new lifestyle on their Beneteau as they crossed the Pacific. But now they have purchased a Privilege 585 in Greece and I predict it will become much less interesting a la Vagabonde...
Old 11-04-2018, 00:33   #535

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

I am very sorry for Riley at Vaga. He had an accident on the passage according to their last video.

Anyway, I like the footage of slv, the Wynns, Delos, Zatara..
Old 11-04-2018, 00:49   #536

Boat: no boat any more

judging from the few short mountainbike vids I made cruisng & doing full time vids can only be called sad, never mind a free boat or whatever.
on the bike you either do an "epic ride", or you make a vid (carry camera ahead-get on the bike on an impossible spot & ride past it-drag bike back uphill, reposition camera-ride past it - & so on - 2-3h work just the "ride" for 4 min. of vid, not counting time at the pc). thats not so bad, you throw the camera into the car, ride back uphill & rock down the trail. these "cruisers" to me seem to combine the worst of two worlds: the bad from 9-5 & the bad from cruising (boat maintenance, logistics, ...)
Old 11-04-2018, 04:09   #537

Boat: FP Salina 48, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post
judging from the few short mountainbike vids I made cruisng & doing full time vids can only be called sad, never mind a free boat or whatever.
You're right. If they lived on a boat tied to a dock in a marina, and had a car in the parking lot that they drove to their full time job, it would definitely not be sad.

Some people here need to put into perspective what the YouTube sailor's full time job entails and allows. These videos are not easy to make, as you rightly pointed out. But I can tell you that I never once sailed across an ocean while doing my full time job.

There have been travel tv shows almost as long as there has been television. But now that it's regular people making the shows instead of a production crew, it's sad. I don't get it.
Old 11-04-2018, 04:18   #538

Boat: Cranchi Atlantique 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post
on the bike you either do an "epic ride", or you make a vid (carry camera ahead-get on the bike on an impossible spot & ride past it-drag bike back uphill, reposition camera-ride past it - & so on - 2-3h work just the "ride" for 4 min. of vid, not counting time at the pc)...
Maybe bring a drone next time?
Old 11-04-2018, 04:30   #539

that'd be twice the hassle without the good shots
Old 11-04-2018, 04:38   #540

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornadosailing View Post
You're right. If they lived on a boat tied to a dock in a marina, and had a car in the parking lot that they drove to their full time job, it would definitely not be sad.

Some people here need to put into perspective what the YouTube sailor's full time job entails and allows. These videos are not easy to make, as you rightly pointed out. But I can tell you that I never once sailed across an ocean while doing my full time job.

There have been travel tv shows almost as long as there has been television. But now that it's regular people making the shows instead of a production crew, it's sad. I don't get it.
...& it would not be "sad", because it would all fit together: ratrace, never mind where u live!
but "ratrace in paradise"? - thats sad!

TS, I sure know what I'm writing about: on our 3 rtws we took photos, super-8-films & videos, just for ourselves to keep memories, & not a lot. each time we did it infringed noticeably on our pleasure - & this was a universe removed from what those guys are doing! I can well imagine what their job entails, but have difficulty seeing any pleasure..
but what do I, of 55 vintage, know...

Tags
liveaboard