Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2017, 12:29   #421

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35
Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Anyone watch Untie the Lines?

I started some time ago, and it was fun seeing how Nike dealt with that fungus filled boat. Certainly braver than me.

I've recently come back to it, and enjoy seeing how she solves the 99 problems Karl has, but what is never really explained is how all these people/friends just seem to turn up and let her use workshops and tools for free.

Nearly every episode, she's like, oh this my friend Jose or whatever, he let me stay at his dock for two months free, use all his tool, and even help me with the maintenance. Yet no mention of how she she knows this person, where they met or anything like that. It's a bit bizarre.

Not taking anything away from her, love the can-do attitude, just find it strange that all these randoms keep appearing the episodes.
Old 26-07-2017, 09:39   #422

She is a linguist, able to speak at least four languages like a local native.
She is also Polite & gives respect, never looking down on the local people.

When this type of person shows up at your poor but humble spot, You will go out of your way to help
Old 26-07-2017, 10:25   #423

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkstar View Post
She is a linguist, able to speak at least four languages like a local native.
She is also Polite & gives respect, never looking down on the local people.

When this type of person shows up at your poor but humble spot, You will go out of your way to help
And as I found out, people in latin America are mega friendly and helpful. What I'm saying is she never talks about it or them. When I'm blogging, if I meet someone that has some significance in my story, I introduce them so to speak. Here, they just turn up in the videos with barely a mention.

Anyway, it's all good, and her videos are something different to some of the other channels, so I welcome that.

On a different note, is it just me, or does anyone else find that the new crew members in Gone with the Wynns and Sailing La Vagabond don't seem to fit in gel well? In the latter, I thought that Abbey would grow into the role, but not sure about this new camera dude in terms of being in front of the camera. Similarly the two new ones in Gone with Wynns, seem a bit one dimensional when in front of camera.
Old 26-07-2017, 13:23   #424

Nike uploads all raw video to someone in Germany , that anonymous person does the editing. This could be the reason for the disconnect. That person may not think the local person video is interesting.

The two new ones in Gone with Wynns, are Patrons. Somehow they have the time and money to hang out for what looks like three ++ months on someone elses boat.

Abbey, got seasick, so she was dropped quickly

This new camera dude in terms of being in front of the camera, He has brought a tiny bit of polish, BUT it still looks like Elayna is doing all the editing. He is going to get frustrated real quick if she does not let go and let him show his vision.
Old 26-07-2017, 13:37   #425

Yep. I'm aware of all that.

I've kind of stopped watching RAN. I enjoyed the last episode I saw where he was maintaining his winches, but just never went back after that. Think I enjoyed the voyage through Europe and crossing the Atlantic. The Caribbean doesn't seem to interest me.

I did see the hook up with Ulma though. I don't really watch Ulma other than when they have a big project going on.
Old 27-07-2017, 01:09   #426

Boat: Cranchi Atlantique 48

Are any of these series or episodes about cruising in Malaysia? I'd be interested in that.
Old 27-07-2017, 08:59   #427

Boat: Hunter 25.5

I think "Adventures of an old Seadog", is a good one.
Old 27-07-2017, 09:29   #428

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zven View Post
Are any of these series or episodes about cruising in Malaysia? I'd be interested in that.
Delos have been cruising Malaysian waters in previous episodes.
Old 27-07-2017, 12:25   #429

I would like to say "Gone with the Wynns" gives poor advice in general, has advised people to break other countries work visa laws and spews out whatever in order to create content and I won't watch them and I encourage other not to watch either as there is plenty of good channels to watch
Old 27-07-2017, 12:37   #430

They've only been to one country so far.
Old 27-07-2017, 12:40   #431

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zven View Post
Follow the boat I think.
Old 27-07-2017, 12:46   #432

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadiseParrot View Post
I would like to say "Gone with the Wynns" gives poor advice in general, has advised people to break other countries work visa laws and spews out whatever in order to create content and I won't watch them and I encourage other not to watch either as there is plenty of good channels to watch

Could you please point to where they have advised others to break other countries work visa laws? Or where they have given out poor advice?

I am not being critical, I simply want to see for myself. I enjoy the content they put out, realizing it is a limited and shallow view of cruising. But to there credit, they honestly post about costs and when they get free items to test or use, they announce that too.
Old 27-07-2017, 13:34   #433

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIL_JUG View Post
I think "Adventures of an old Seadog", is a good one.
Agreed, much more down to earth solving problems and going places we are likely to do. No posh tottie or boobs, just a gritty old bloke on a limited budget busy sailing from the UK down to the Canaries and now across the Atlantic single handed.

The only bit I can't work out is his timing. He is about about to leave the Canaries but is summer and hurricane season.

Pete
Old 27-07-2017, 14:01   #434

Boat: Com Pac 27

Has anyone mentioned Sailing Tranquility Bay Sailing Tranquility Bay – Enhancing Your Daydream One Click At A Time! yet?

This is the couple who inspired my wife and I to start our own adventure.
Old 27-07-2017, 19:27   #435

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Agreed, much more down to earth solving problems and going places we are likely to do. No posh tottie or boobs, just a gritty old bloke on a limited budget busy sailing from the UK down to the Canaries and now across the Atlantic single handed.

The only bit I can't work out is his timing. He is about about to leave the Canaries but is summer and hurricane season.

Pete
Pete, you cannot trust the time of year by their posts. Many are months behind and they do this on purpose so that if they take a vacation or whatever they can still post vlogs. As an example, SV Delos latest post has them still in the Indian Ocean however they are probably in Brazil by now.
Closed Thread

Tags
liveaboard