Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2017, 07:16   #211

Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
The Wynns are very different kettle of fish to some of the others (not all). They've been doing it years and years, and made some very professional videos and some TV work, and commercial clips.

Obviously they came to it with a massive RV following. It was amusing reading the comments when they converted to sailing. Typical salty sea dogs you get on Youtube and these forums saying they are irresponsible, that they are going to die blah blah blah, yet they've done just fine so far. Had the relevant training, had a little help, and have learnt some as they go. Never understand why there is so much negativity in the sailing community. I suppose PCM sums it up.

It interesting that all this thread seems to focus on is money. Why does that matter? I thought it was just supposed to be a discussion about the various channels, how we like them or don't, and which ones we watch.
I give the Wynns credit for getting ASA classes and doing the math for battery usage and other things. We like them because we will be newbies out there soon and they have given us some direction.
Old 22-04-2017, 07:16   #212

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkstar View Post
Very Sad, to be concerned about how other people make their money
Especially when it is 100 % legal,
Then have an active campaign to ruin other people's money flow

Old 22-04-2017, 07:19   #213

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

I used the term channels as that is what you have if you have a Youtube account. I wasn't referring to them as a TV style channel.

I'm curious what makes PCM call the videos 'home movies?' Sure some have that feel. La Vagabond in particular (which is part of its success) but others are as well produced and/or scripted (in some cases) as anything on regular TV/Prime/Netflix. If we're not talking about production, format, or look and feel, but instead 'story' some also have that in a documentary fashion.

To my mind, if these videos are all home movies, the stuff that people like Philip Bloom put out are also home movies. Bear in mind he's a professional film and documentary maker.
Old 22-04-2017, 07:44   #214

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
When we started cruising, nobody was Youtubing their adventure. We were motivated by written blogs (Slapdash, Bumfuzzle) just as the groups before us were inspired by books. From our beginning my wife wrote about travels, not for any financial gain, but for our family, friends, and to let anyone else that stumbles onto our page know what it's really like "out there"...

...That's when we found out about the new Youtube stars stealing all the thunder

Matt
Hey Matt/Jess. Thanks for the insight. I actually caught your channel near the start, and enjoyed the work you were putting into the boat. Loved the anniversary story in Canaries (hope that doesn't make me sound evil).

Anyway, you hit it on the head about books/articles --> blogs --> Video. It's not just sailing or travel, either. It's everything from camera reviews, to pet grooming.

When I first started motorcycle touring back in 2007/8, I first used to document my travels on forums. Then I moved to a dedicated blog, in the past few years the world has started to shift towards video. You see that by the way Instagram started incorporating video into their platform, then extending the length users upload. Similar with other platforms, Twitter, Snapchat etc... It is the way forward.

Of course video seems to open you up to a lot more criticism. At least on Youtube. Some of the racist and sexist and hateful comments on their are downright disgusting, and Youtube doesn't police them well. It's not just sailing videos, it's almost everything.

I only ever document (blog) for myself, friends, and family. With all the hate out there, I'm reluctant to share anything much at all about my sailing (or lack thereof). Shame as I love editing video (gluten for punishment).
Old 22-04-2017, 07:52   #215

I do love your videos! My own boat has been on the hard up here on Lake Ontario since October 2015(my dad had some health issues and I companionway LD spend the time that winter getting her fitted out)

I'm not living aboard while she on the hard. Her little coal burning stove is nice to take to chill off when its in the 30s and crummy. It was very helpful working on her this winter. It's not up to the task of sub zero, though. I am jealous of your stairs though. If she wasn't going back in the water in a couple weeks I'd build a set myself. I hope you two get back in the water yourselves soon!
Old 22-04-2017, 08:17   #216
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Typical salty sea dogs you get on Youtube and these forums saying they are irresponsible, that they are going to die blah blah blah, yet they've done just fine so far..
Ah but remember....if the word gets out that this cruising gig isn't REALLY that hard imagine the blow to the Egos of all those "I'm a real cruiser types" that say it takes years...no...a lifetime of training to pull off.

As with most things, it comes back to Ego.
Old 22-04-2017, 08:20   #217

Boat: SOLD

If people want to PAY for YouTube home movies, have fun paying! I'm "old school" Internet. I will not pay! I don't support a "new-age" nonsense Internet business model that states "Please give us your money, because we upload FREE home movies and we need $50K of new cameras per month due to salt-air corrosion!"

If I "join" the Patreon shell ($$$) game, then YES, you can give me ALL your money. Thanks!

Cheers. [/QUOTE]

As i said in another thread about La Vagabonde, it's not your money, not even tax you paid, it's their life, their boat, their videos and THEIR MONEY, so please shut up and move on. You start to sound like a grunpy 80 year old guy complaining about kinds playing ball in the street, just because he can't do it.......

Mariano

Fair winds
Old 22-04-2017, 08:23   #218
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

People.

Enough already.

Lets talk about your favourite channels and leave the money aspect alone. If we have to delete more than 4 posts regarding money from here on in, the thread closes.
Old 22-04-2017, 08:24   #219
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Ah but remember....if the word gets out that this cruising gig isn't REALLY that hard imagine the blow to the Egos of all those "I'm a real cruiser types" that say it takes years...no...a lifetime of training to pull off.

As with most things, it comes back to Ego.
When do you head off Rich to Mexico?
Old 22-04-2017, 08:36   #220

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Hey Matt/Jess. Thanks for the insight. I actually caught your channel near the start, and enjoyed the work you were putting into the boat. Loved the anniversary story in Canaries (hope that doesn't make me sound evil).

Anyway, you hit it on the head about books/articles --> blogs --> Video. It's not just sailing or travel, either. It's everything from camera reviews, to pet grooming.

When I first started motorcycle touring back in 2007/8, I first used to document my travels on forums. Then I moved to a dedicated blog, in the past few years the world has started to shift towards video. You see that by the way Instagram started incorporating video into their platform, then extending the length users upload. Similar with other platforms, Twitter, Snapchat etc... It is the way forward.

Of course video seems to open you up to a lot more criticism. At least on Youtube. Some of the racist and sexist and hateful comments on their are downright disgusting, and Youtube doesn't police them well. It's not just sailing videos, it's almost everything.

I only ever document (blog) for myself, friends, and family. With all the hate out there, I'm reluctant to share anything much at all about my sailing (or lack thereof). Shame as I love editing video (gluten for punishment).

Thanks Mike. Jess and I come from a sales background, so we both have thick skins and just laugh off some of the comments. But surprisingly, we've received fewer negatives on Youtube than we have personal comments on our site. It's been a very warm and welcome embrace from the community on Youtube.

Portclydeme seems to be mocking the thing that makes this type of media great. Free content and the choice to pay/donate. Instead, it seems he feels the old publishing model was better... even though it was worse for the consumer. In the past, books were often purchased because of the author's name, a captivating title or cool dust jacket.... did we have any recourse if the story was flat or poorly done after spending our money? Nope. Now, the consumer is in control to choose after the fact the value they have received.

Think of it like tipping in a restaurant. Bad service? We'll, don't leave a tip.
And, just like working in a restaurant, regardless if you tip, just by coming in/viewing you're contributing. At the end, we are thankful for just that view and letting us tell our story. If you're fortunate enough to have the spare cash to donate, and feel the story has value enough that you'd like to support, than please do. Even some of the most successful vlogs donate to others (Delos comes to mind).

I don't want anyone to think that I'm putting our videos in the same category as the popular ones with the much better production value. I'm just trying to explain a bit from someone making the home movies both in front and behind the scene

Matt
Old 22-04-2017, 08:39   #221

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Thanks Mike. Jess and I come from a sales background, so we both have thick skins and just laugh off some of the comments. But surprisingly, we've received fewer negatives on Youtube than we have personal comments on our site. It's been a very warm and welcome embrace from the community on Youtube.

Portclydeme seems to be mocking the thing that makes this type of media great. Free content and the choice to pay/donate. Instead, it seems he feels the old publishing model was better... even though it was worse for the consumer. In the past, books were often purchased because of the author's name, a captivating title or cool dust jacket.... did we have any recourse if the story was flat or poorly done after spending our money? Nope. Now, the consumer is in control to choose after the fact the value they have received.

Think of it like tipping in a restaurant. Bad service? We'll, don't leave a tip.
And, just like working in a restaurant, regardless if you tip, just by coming in/viewing you're contributing. At the end, we are thankful for just that view and letting us tell our story. If you're fortunate enough to have the spare cash to donate, and feel the story has value enough that you'd like to support, than please do. Even some of the most successful vlogs donate to others (Delos comes to mind).

I don't want anyone to think that I'm putting our videos in the same category as the popular ones with the much better production value. I'm just trying to explain a bit from someone making the home movies both in front and behind the scene[emoji2]

Matt
Well stated. And thank you.
Old 22-04-2017, 08:42   #222

Boat: Dufour 35 1973

I don't think I'll ever pay for something that's being offered for free. If other people decide to pay that's their choice. Don't think I should be paying others to do what I'd rather be doing instead of working for my pay check. I had a subscription to SLV untill they announced they'd be changing to a catamaran. I just can't find any interest in catamaran films with one big exception, and that is Plucky. He's hilarious talking about the water and the sand. Never realised he was on Patreon as well until I checked after reading this thread. The Wynns I don't really like, they're trying too hard pushing certain items they purchased (same with the paddleboard in SV Prism). I once tried making a small film about myself sailing but realized pretty soon I found it very difficult talking to a camera without anyone asking me questions, I felt pretty silly. Guess you need a certain 'je ne sais quoi' to do this. Anyway, not my cup of tea, I just enjoy the sailing as it is and don't feel the need to show other people.
The channels that I currently follow are ok in their business model I think. Sailing miss lone star was less ok, demanding to become a patron to see uncut films on Vimeo which apparently had bare breasts. This in my view came close to prostitution and the end of that story is probably known to everyone here.
Erik Anderaa is my personal favourite (next to Plucky), it's a pity he's not making so much films lately.
Old 22-04-2017, 08:47   #223

Boat: SOLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariano View Post
If people want to PAY for YouTube home movies, have fun paying! I'm "old school" Internet. I will not pay! I don't support a "new-age" nonsense Internet business model that states "Please give us your money, because we upload FREE home movies and we need $50K of new cameras per month due to salt-air corrosion!"

If I "join" the Patreon shell ($$$) game, then YES, you can give me ALL your money. Thanks!

Cheers.
Quote:
As i said in another thread about La Vagabonde, it's not your money, not even tax you paid, it's their life, their boat, their videos and THEIR MONEY, so please shut up and move on. You start to sound like a grunpy 80 year old guy complaining about kinds playing ball in the street, just because he can't do it.......

Mariano

Fair winds
Ok, sorry for that, but I'm getting tired of peolple that only criticize others just because they aren't as rich/young/happy/clever/lucky (pick one choice, or all)

Mariano

Fair winds
Old 22-04-2017, 10:16   #224

Boat: SOLD! 2005 Lagoon, 440, owners version

If you are watching a sailing channel/vlog purely for sailing content then most likely you will be disappointed. They are sailing, travel, diving, snorkel, cooking, ect, ect, ect the bottom line is that they are for entertainment.

My wife and I enjoy a lot of the Sailing Youtube Channels. We are in our mid 40s and watch very little traditional tv however our YouTube consumption has risen over the last year because of all the sailing channels and most nights we will watch a new youtube sailing video on our tv.

The video quality, editing, story telling and shot planning that go into SOME of these channels is nothing short of professional. They will campout all day for a time lapse, go on hikes they might of skipped somthat they have content... taking the production past regular " film what we just do" vlogers. Sea Change and now SV Delos (starting around episode 102) are two that immediately come to mind for tv/cinema quality productions. Some are vlogs (home video quality) yet still very entertaining! And yet some fall squarely in the middle like Gone with the Wynns.

They are all different and we like most of them for various reasons.

SV Delos
La Vagabounde
Gone with the Wynns
Sailing Trios
Sailing Doodles
Out Chasing Stars
Chase the Story ( MUCH better now thats is just the two of them)
Catamaran IMPI
Two afloat ( dude has MS & still killing it)
Sailing Unspoken

As you can see we gravitate toward catamarans
Old 22-04-2017, 10:16   #225

Boat: Tanzer 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
Personally, I think "channels" is the wrong term. This is not TV. These are just people uploading videos to YouTube. As the OP stated in his first post on Page 1:

"I have been watching various youtube liveaboard videos for a few months. These series seem to constantly pop up for viewing:..."

I thought the OP had a logical question, as if wondering why a certain series of YouTube people "pop up". Thus, I answered with my opinion ... in detail. As have others. Just opinions. That's it. If people wish to pay for YouTube videos that are free to watch, then that's their choice. Personally, I don't like the feeling that I get from the people who are looking for money. It's like food. Some food just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

The reason certain videos keep popping up when you are on YouTube is simple. YouTube tracks your viewing habits, then suggestion popular videos that are in line with previous videos you have been watching.
Closed Thread

Tags
liveaboard