Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2017, 06:03   #181
Registered User
 
Menlim3's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 10
Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Sailing Uma has an electric powered motor that is very impressive in my humble opinion. He installed it himself.
__________________

__________________
Menlim3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2017, 06:03   #182
Registered User
 
Group9's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,475
Images: 5
Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
No, it doesn't bother me at all. I think this topic is one of the most interesting on this forum, and I just like adding my opinions and my comments. No big deal, and I am interested to see where this 'retire on Patreon money' game goes. I don't watch these people every time they upload, but I do sometimes. I like the term "stars". It makes me chuckle. No joke.

By the way, I also never donate to "Save the Whales" or "Save the Aliens". That's just who I am. Someone here wrote that they've met a couple of these Patreon people, and that they were a "hoot". Yeah, well, I've met MANY people in my life who are "hoots", but I don't give them money.

Now to something a little more funny:

A group walks into the TV-exec office to try and sell a pilot. After hearing the proposed script of the show, the exec says "No. Sorry. We don't have a market for people sailing around drinking, swimming, and cooking hamburgers. Why don't you try uploading to YouTube and then ask for donations? Thanks for stopping in!"

Hahaha
I think you can stop now. We all have the picture of exactly who you are.
__________________

__________________
Cruising again!
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2017, 06:34   #183
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 718
Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menlim3 View Post
Sailing Uma has an electric powered motor that is very impressive in my humble opinion. He installed it himself.
That sounds cool. I haven't watched their videos. I'll check it out.

The three things that cruisers can't get enough of: Gas, electricity, ... and space for frozen New York sirloins ... bone in!
__________________
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2017, 06:49   #184
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Toronto - ON - Canada
Boat: NASH 26
Posts: 22
Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Actually... the whole "Patreon" thing is something like "You cannot make your dreams come true.... So let me live it for you while you watch me"..... Again as long as Patreons and Patreonees happy with the exchange, it's none of my business.....

But personally, I believe the incentive offers (i.e. commit $5/months for a year, then we'll send you an autographed t-shirt or..... send me $100 then you can ask me anything you want) is totally against the spirit of "Stopping rat race" concept... Most of the incentive driven youtube cruising channels are way lighter in terms of content (more fun, flesh and partying and less knowledge, practical skills and experiences)

Honestly.... incentive focused channels don't work for us at all..... When I see the promo/incentive announcement at the and of the video, I move forward to another channel...... Just my 2c
__________________
Tafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 01:03   #185
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 718
Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tafa View Post
Actually... the whole "Patreon" thing is something like "You cannot make your dreams come true.... So let me live it for you while you watch me"..... Again as long as Patreons and Patreonees happy with the exchange, it's none of my business.....

But personally, I believe the incentive offers (i.e. commit $5/months for a year, then we'll send you an autographed t-shirt or..... send me $100 then you can ask me anything you want) is totally against the spirit of "Stopping rat race" concept... Most of the incentive driven youtube cruising channels are way lighter in terms of content (more fun, flesh and partying and less knowledge, practical skills and experiences)

Honestly.... incentive focused channels don't work for us at all..... When I see the promo/incentive announcement at the and of the video, I move forward to another channel...... Just my 2c


2c is just as good as 4c! It's a cruisers forum. Anyway, I agree with what you state.

By the way, it's getting good. Quickly! People are talking. They're talking about this thread. This thread is being watched, and tongues are wagging. I watched a few minutes of various Patreoners today, and the faces, psychology, and acting is altering in the ones I watched. Well, they're not pro actors, but you know what I mean. It's altering in direct relation to what's being discussed here. Some alterations subtle, and some not. Watch carefully, and pay attention, and you will see it. What's being written on the Patreon pages is also changing, and in direct relation to discussion points here. Very interesting. From now on, I'm just going to check in from time to time, yet it's going to be fun to watch as the changes continue.
__________________
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 02:21   #186
Senior Cruiser
 
Three Sisters's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 306
Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post

Lastly, I REALLY LIKED "Boston SV Slick", and "Alex Rust" (RIP). Those cats sailed for the true love of sailing. Nothing else. No begging for beers while taking delivery of a million-dollar yacht.

All food for thought.

Cheers!

Had not known about Alex Rust passing. What a character. Truly missed. Chasing Bubbles.
__________________
Three Sisters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 04:23   #187
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 959
Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinworswick View Post
are there anyyoutube channels that are focussed on families/cruising with children?i've scanned through most of the ones mentioned and they seem to be couples or singles.
Sail Story - a lovely family with quirky humor. Everything about them is endearing. Learning as they go but smartly.

Sailing Zatara - confident and competent. On a mission to enrich their lives.

Fata Morgana - Comes across as carefree but educated and disciplined. I detect much love. Edited and narrated by 13 yr old daughter. Very talented.

There are also YT channels local to the Cook islands which are varied in topic but always about sailing. Sorry, I do not presently recall the names of those channels.
__________________
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 04:54   #188
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 959
Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Sailing Emerald Steel is the first channel to which I subscribed some years ago. They did it the old fashioned way, they worked their butts off, taught themselves how, sought guidance when needed. Suze, at 19 yrs, learned how to weld and did all the welding. They splashed in 1985 and are still going at it. Sometimes I am dismayed that portions of their experiences are missing but I figure they are private persons. Their videos offer a wealth of information for those who want to learn how it really is. I think they post to document their experiences. Jules & Suze are a great a source of information. I just like their style and to hear of their experiences. They offer 30+ yrs of videos.

Dashew Offshore

Sea Change Professionalphotographers. Exquisite photography and narration. Too bad they haven't posted more videos.

Sailing Nervous is fun. Vin & Amy are relatively inexperienced but go about learning in a conservative manner. They are coming along nicely and building a solid foundation. I like their mannerisms.

Salt & Tar are still building their boat. I'm hopelessly in love with their project. Garret & Rebecca have a personal love story which is amazing. I am encouraged by this young couple's work ethics.

The previously mentioned channels with children are delightful to me for in equal parts they fondly call to mind my own childhood and I love to see the kids react to and absorb that lifestyle.
__________________
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 05:11   #189
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Huntsville, AL
Boat: Brewer Canyon 43 steel #2
Posts: 48
Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tafa View Post
Actually... the whole "Patreon" thing is something like "You cannot make your dreams come true.... So let me live it for you while you watch me"..... Again as long as Patreons and Patreonees happy with the exchange, it's none of my business.....

But personally, I believe the incentive offers (i.e. commit $5/months for a year, then we'll send you an autographed t-shirt or..... send me $100 then you can ask me anything you want) is totally against the spirit of "Stopping rat race" concept... Most of the incentive driven youtube cruising channels are way lighter in terms of content (more fun, flesh and partying and less knowledge, practical skills and experiences)

Honestly.... incentive focused channels don't work for us at all..... When I see the promo/incentive announcement at the and of the video, I move forward to another channel...... Just my 2c
Totally agree with you. The latest is the medically retired corporate pilot establishing a "go fund me " site in order to buy a bigger boat so he can have 4 or 5 people on board. Nobody is ever happy with 100K income from his you tube site!
__________________
toodleoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 05:27   #190
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 718
Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Sisters View Post
Had not known about Alex Rust passing. What a character. Truly missed. Chasing Bubbles.
Yes, I'm sure. I never met him, yet he appears to have been a 'country boy' with a heart of gold, as opposed to these Patreoners now seeking money. He followed his dream and sailed purely for the love of sailing.

The video "Chasing Bubbles - the movie" (page 11 of this thread) was released post-mortem, and it is composed of short clips of the much longer footage about his circumnavigation that used to be available on YouTube. The long and complete version has now been removed. I wish that I had recorded it, because the long version shows all the circumnavigation footage, with none of the post-mortem drama and his time in India. Not that the background story isn't interesting, but the original long version was amazing. I hope that his relatives/friends will some day re-upload all the original footage.

The very first video that I saw of Alex is the short home movie that he made describing his circumnavigation route (see below). I thought "Who is this guy? He seems ultra cool!" Then I watched the original long version of his circumnavigation and I was completely blown away.

__________________
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 05:45   #191
Registered User
 
NoahTreat's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 90
Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
Yes, I'm sure. I never met him, yet he appears to have been a 'country boy' with a heart of gold, as opposed to these Patreoners now seeking money. He followed his dream and sailed purely for the love of sailing.

The video "Chasing Bubbles - the movie" (page 11 of this thread) was released post-mortem, and it is composed of short clips of the much longer footage about his circumnavigation that used to be available on YouTube. The long and complete version has now been removed. I wish that I had recorded it, because the long version shows all the circumnavigation footage, with none of the post-mortem drama and his time in India. Not that the background story isn't interesting, but the original long version was amazing. I hope that his relatives/friends will some day re-upload all the original footage.

The very first video that I saw of Alex is the short home movie that he made describing his circumnavigation route (see below). I thought "Who is this guy? He seems ultra cool!" Then I watched the original long version of his circumnavigation and I was completely blown away.



Port. I have a question for you. Are you against people making money by living the dream of sailing around the world. Or are you against the way they do it?
__________________
NoahTreat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 06:07   #192
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 718
Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahTreat View Post
Port. I have a question for you. Are you against people making money by living the dream of sailing around the world. Or are you against the way they do it?
C'mon man. Go back to Page 1 of this thread and start reading through all the pages again. I've been pretty clear.

All I'll add is this: I don't like con artists, and I think that the people that get taken in by con artists and support them with donation money are complete idiots. Is that clear enough? Also, and this is a true story, I saw Joni Mitchell live in 1975 on stage with Bob Dylan (who I met 20 years later in Los Angeles). I liked seeing Joni in 1975, but I don't like watching 'her wannabe' asking for "donation money" in 2017 for their home-movie "Production". Do you understand yet?
__________________
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 06:34   #193
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 17
Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

I had the chance to hangout with the Delos crew in South Africa, even had my 1 second of fame in a video. In my own opinion, they are anything but fake. Brian is just awesome, talking to him helped me realize why he is a successful captain. It can't be easy having different personalities on board all the time. He is easy going, and engages in conversations with calmness and respect. Now for Brady, he is very humble and thankful for everything. Should I add he knows how to have a good time. Karin, to be honest she was fairly quite from my perspective, however still welcoming and friendly. I just can't say much about Karin because I didn't get the chance to really talk to her. I think they are all awesome people who are following a dream which I enjoy watching.

The best part about this, I doubt they care much about the negative comments if they even realize they are being said on here.

It's not good to live life with such negative lenses on, but each their own.

I only watch Delos and Sailing Britican consistently. I really value what I am learning from Simon and Kim of sailing Britican as they are doing it with their young daughter. It is my dream to follow in similar foot steps as I have a little one.
__________________
kmartind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 08:18   #194
Registered User
 
Sandibar's Avatar

Join Date: May 2014
Location: Finland
Boat: Sandibar 35
Posts: 246
Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmartind View Post
I had the chance to hangout with the Delos crew in South Africa, even had my 1 second of fame in a video. In my own opinion, they are anything but fake. Brian is just awesome, talking to him helped me realize why he is a successful captain. It can't be easy having different personalities on board all the time. He is easy going, and engages in conversations with calmness and respect. Now for Brady, he is very humble and thankful for everything. Should I add he knows how to have a good time. Karin, to be honest she was fairly quite from my perspective, however still welcoming and friendly. I just can't say much about Karin because I didn't get the chance to really talk to her. I think they are all awesome people who are following a dream which I enjoy watching.

The best part about this, I doubt they care much about the negative comments if they even realize they are being said on here.

It's not good to live life with such negative lenses on, but each their own.

I only watch Delos and Sailing Britican consistently. I really value what I am learning from Simon and Kim of sailing Britican as they are doing it with their young daughter. It is my dream to follow in similar foot steps as I have a little one.
Did you pull at their beards (not Karin's off course) because Portclydeme tells us they're fake.
__________________
Sandibar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 08:19   #195
Registered User

Join Date: May 2016
Location: The Med
Boat: Catalina 36 MKI
Posts: 48
Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Sv Delos interviewing Lisa Blair on facebook
__________________

__________________
De.windhoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
liveaboard

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to post a Youtube Video (with Viewer) using Youtube APP Steady Hand Forum Tech Support & Site Help 2 30-11-2016 14:10
What do the stars under my username mean? BadFish Forum Tech Support & Site Help 17 12-01-2009 08:40
Shooting Stars Jack Long General Sailing Forum 26 19-08-2008 13:18
Where are the stars. Islandmike General Sailing Forum 18 11-04-2006 12:00
Now you get stars for posting!!! Gisle Forum News & Announcements 6 12-05-2003 00:18


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 18:19.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.