Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 10-12-2016, 09:42   #61

Re: Your top 3 favorite items for living aboard

There's "favorite" and then there's "necessary" and sometimes they, like liveaboard vs cruising, can be vastly different.

necessary:

a solid and robust electrical system - it's a safety issue for lighting (both for interior and running lights), communications and charging rechargeable components like phones, computers (which can be used for both communications and navigation), tablets and VHF and GPS batteries Here's a good resource for starters with lots of links: Electrical Systems 101

heat - I moved to Vancouver Island, it snowed yesterday, it's cold. If you're in Mexico, you can go swimming to cool off, but you can't get warm without a good heating system. It's a safety issue.

moving and stopping - an autopilot and a good reliable engine; a solid anchoring system

favorite:

a good music system - also used for news if you have a radio, but long passages and being at anchor both let me enjoy good music, whether from the radio (music, news and sports), cassette tapes [I still have my 80s mix tapes!!!], CDs, iPod, phone or your choice

dodger - people live without them, but why?

hot & cold running water - foot pumps are nice, too

Good luck, you have a great deal of input now and can begin to make wise choices.

Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 10:31   #62
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Lotsa good stuff - what do you do for heating away from shore power?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
There's "favorite" and then there's "necessary" and sometimes they, like liveaboard vs cruising, can be vastly different.

necessary:

a solid and robust electrical system - it's a safety issue for lighting (both for interior and running lights), communications and charging rechargeable components like phones, computers (which can be used for both communications and navigation), tablets and VHF and GPS batteries Here's a good resource for starters with lots of links: Electrical Systems 101

heat - I moved to Vancouver Island, it snowed yesterday, it's cold. If you're in Mexico, you can go swimming to cool off, but you can't get warm without a good heating system. It's a safety issue.

moving and stopping - an autopilot and a good reliable engine; a solid anchoring system

favorite:

a good music system - also used for news if you have a radio, but long passages and being at anchor both let me enjoy good music, whether from the radio (music, news and sports), cassette tapes [I still have my 80s mix tapes!!!], CDs, iPod, phone or your choice

dodger - people live without them, but why?

hot & cold running water - foot pumps are nice, too

Good luck, you have a great deal of input now and can begin to make wise choices.

Old 11-12-2016, 09:09   #63

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulawayo View Post
Lotsa good stuff - what do you do for heating away from shore power?
In the pnw where Stu is sailing, the most common heat system is the Espar type diesel heater. Smaller, simpler boats or ones that have more "tied to the dock time" get away with wall mounted propane or kerosene heaters. Some small wood stoves are available for boats as well, a neat idea, as the wood heat is very good at keeping the humidity down and there is a lot of wood available. Of course storage, bugs and smoke can become issues.
Old 11-12-2016, 09:40   #64

1 ) my Saxophone, it's not all about sailing you know.
2) our set of five bean bag type of deck cushions that make any part of the boat comfortable in shade or sun as required.
3) AIS transponder a real life changer.
Old 11-12-2016, 10:23   #65
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
In the pnw where Stu is sailing, the most common heat system is the Espar type diesel heater. Smaller, simpler boats or ones that have more "tied to the dock time" get away with wall mounted propane or kerosene heaters. Some small wood stoves are available for boats as well, a neat idea, as the wood heat is very good at keeping the humidity down and there is a lot of wood available. Of course storage, bugs and smoke can become issues.
Thanks Goat, we've never had heating but could have used it. Always interested to hear others managed.
Old 11-12-2016, 13:13   #66

Hmm, interesting thread (I read and enjoyed every single post) so guess I'll chime in as well.

First I'd like to say that I'm a complete newbie like yourself except im sitting inside my cockpit right now. New boat owner and liveaboard...going on 3 weeks now! So my lack of experience yet current concerns "might" shed some new light on this subject and for a potential boat owner.

Also since we are in CF, I assume everyone wants to cruise, possesses a sense of adventure/wanderlust, and not be tied to land all/most of the time. But I strongly recommend that your first few months are spent tied to the dock as you learn your boat and adjust to the differences of being a land lubber vs hyper conscious boat owner/cruiser.

With that being said here's my list:

1. KNOWLEDGE - (someone else said ability to fix things) but breaking that down where are these things that need to be fixed located, what are these things, and what are the procedures for a 'fix' or in case of EMERGENCY that you need to know beforehand...ex. I found the thru hull plugs on day 10!

2. SAFETY FEATURES - so examples are smoke, CM and LPG alarms, LPG shut off solenoid, extinguishers, bilge pump redundancy (I have a little one aboard so these stick out to me)

I will fast forward a bit for the next...(it's already been stated but to reiterate)

3. ELECTRONS - solar, wind, and storage w/ proper amounts on all...although I have 6 batteries, 2 alternators, 2 Honda 2k gennies, not having to rely on fuel and cranking and listening to things would be nice

I'm sure this list will change as I gain more experience, and those become commonplace and second nature but for now these are the bright lights shining in my face.

Good luck on your journey!

S/v Gypsea Soul
Old 11-12-2016, 21:00   #67

Don't remember if I already posted in this thread.

While not either a cruiser or a liveaboard I do spend up to several weeks at a time on the boat and found out that other than the obviously necessary important things needed to be onboard the little touches which make me and my time on the boat happy and content are:

a) our home built swimming platform of about 4'X4'. We made it specifically to have 3-4 people standing on it safely and comfortably and actually 5 or 6 can, if needed. The NA and boatbuilder who helped me build it rated it conservatively at 1,000+lbs. The platform also does double duty as a support for a dinghy storage. And solar panels provide the partial shade .

b) improvised transom shower made from a 3gal weed sprayer picked up at HD for about $20.

c) my collection of French coffee presses of various sizes made of some unbreakable tough plastic.

All of the above used together after a swim on a lazy weekend morning - priceless.
Old 15-12-2016, 21:16   #68

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

Just want to comment on the weed sprayer. I modified mine to use a sprayer that is used on a kitchen sink and it was a huge Improvement.
Old 20-12-2016, 07:35   #69

Boat: 1986 CS 30
Send a message via Yahoo to Hank Kivett

I am watching this with great interest and I am finding it very helpful. I especially interested in those who have boats close or similar to mine in size. I have equip mine with most of what the majority indicates is required or necessary. The one thing most agree on is a water maker or some sort...the cost of these seems to be out of sight for a poor boy like myself. Is there one out there that is reasonable...I do have solar (200w) and just added a 2000w generator and i have cockpit enclosures both winter and summer. My goal is to go south in Nov of next year as its the last thing on my bucket list.
Old 20-12-2016, 07:52   #70

Boat: Irwin 43 Mk111 CC, Sloop
Send a message via Skype™ to adlib2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Kivett View Post
I am watching this with great interest and I am finding it very helpful. I especially interested in those who have boats close or similar to mine in size. I have equip mine with most of what the majority indicates is required or necessary. The one thing most agree on is a water maker or some sort...the cost of these seems to be out of sight for a poor boy like myself. Is there one out there that is reasonable...I do have solar (200w) and just added a 2000w generator and i have cockpit enclosures both winter and summer. My goal is to go south in Nov of next year as its the last thing on my bucket list.

I've long distanced cruised extensively have never had a need for a water maker. More sensible to add water storage capacity.
Old 20-12-2016, 08:01   #71

Boat: Reinke S10 - Alu Junk Rig Schooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Kivett View Post
. . . The one thing most agree on is a water maker . . .
. . .the cost of these seems to be out of sight for a poor boy like myself . . .
. . .its the last thing on my bucket list . . .

A watermaker is NOT a must, but rather a nicety
Everybody used to circumnavigate without, but now we have all gone soft 😉

Alternative (or combinations thereof):

Three 25L / 5gal blue plastic jerry cans
A collapsible trolley
Larger/more water tanks
Water catchment (awening, sails or other)
Water conscious crew
Hard work
Salt soap

This is very doable, so don't panic.
Old 20-12-2016, 08:16   #72

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

A real honest to goodness cockpit shower is not hard or expensive to install, the bug sprayer just takes up more room that I want to give up.
There are many showers made for RV's that are low cost, all RV's it seems have an outdoor shower, usually right by where the black water dump is. Only think I ever used mine for was washing my hands.
I spent a little more on mine for the boat as its "Marine"
Old 20-12-2016, 08:16   #73

Boat: 1986 CS 30
Send a message via Yahoo to Hank Kivett

Yes I have three (3) 5 gal bottles...my on board capacity is 50 gal... l have also looked at a rain catcher but the salt soap is a new one...and yes i have a solar shower bag...my goal is to stay away from marinas as much as possible.
Old 20-12-2016, 08:17   #74
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

functional boat
live boat cat
good tools and spares
the rest is optional or locate-able as ye go.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 08:23   #75

Boat: Reinke S10 - Alu Junk Rig Schooner

Solar and water saving shower for both indoor and outdoor use

https://youtu.be/Q-el-3ypUDM

Tags
cruising, equipment, living aboard, provisions

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: