Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2006, 21:36   #1

Question your thoughts and experiences please

No new boat yet and still not sure what it will be other than big enough for my lanky 6'4" butt to liveaboard comfortably and cruise. I have come across a super deal on new stoves and cabin heaters(definately a must here in Va where it is already in the 30's) My thoughts are to keep it simple and run the same fuel in everything. A diesel engine will definately be in the picture, so I was thinking about using diesel fuel to fire the stove,oven and heater.Problem is ,I have no experience with these items and was wondering how efficient they would be compared to propane,which is the other option. Leaning toward diesel due to availability in most places, but don't want to use these if I will have to deal with soot and strong fumes in the cabin. Wood heat would be great, but not practical, and I am aware of the dangers of each fuel .
I have my choice of either the sigmar diesel 170 heater(17000btu) or two force 10 dirrect vent propane heater(9000btu)
and for stoves with ovens the choices are the sigmar 200 diesel stove or the force 10 3 burner propane range.
Your thoughts please.
Thanks,
Patrick
hooligan971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 21:45   #2

Boat: MacGregor 26M Lynx
There is several threads on this. What it basicly boils down to is - How much money will you have when you want to go cruising?

After you get that number you can work it backwards. The number of months that you want to go cruising X $ 1000 - total amount = cost of boat + repairs + equipment.

What is your comfort level? IF you can change this you can get into a smaller, cheeper boat and go cruising sooner or longer.

I am 6'4" and do all right in a 6' cabin in a 26' coastal cruiser.
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 21:52   #3

thanks, but this post is'nt realy about the boat. I just was given the chance to buy the appliances at a very very low price (but I have to chose one of each as the seller will be keeping what I don't buy for his use)just wondering which I should go with as far as economy,efficiency, and cleanliness
hooligan971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 23:40   #4

I have to,sorry,More jumpers and lots of sushi and raw vegies.Mudnut.
mudnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2006, 13:18   #5

Boat: CT54
Hi,
I have checked into the different stoves since I am looking at replacing the electric stove that is currently in my boat. My first thought was to go with a diesel stove/heater since the price was not that much higher than propane but everyone I spoke to said that a diesel is way to HOT for tropical climates. I have decided to upgrade with a propane stove because it will work in all climates. Also, wanted to mention that I had seen several diesel heater/stoves on the used market here in So. Cal. It seems that alot of people dump them as they head south so if you do decide diesel is the way to go that may be a option where I have not found anything used in a propane stove.
Best,
Jackie
jackiepitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2006, 13:30   #6
GreatKetch

Jackie's comments on the problems with a diesel stove are good ones. You wouldn't need to go to the tropics, it would just take a good Virgina tidewater summer for a diesel oven to drive you out of the cabin! There is a reason that diesel stoves are popular on boats in Alaska!

Propane is really the fuel of choice these days. Just a few weeks ago we were talking to some German cruisers who were passing through our neighborhood. They had originally installed a kerosene stove figuring that it would be an easier fuel to obtain in more remote places. That may have been true once, but no longer! They switched to propane that was a lot easier to get all around the world.

For cabin heat though, the situation is different. If you have a diesel engine it is the best choice by far. Using a gallon of diesel a day to heat the boat is not a hassel if you ave a large tank. A gallon of propane every day will have you schlepping tanks way too often!

Bill
Old 16-11-2006, 18:18   #7

Interesting and in the for what it's worth dept: BTUs are BTUs no matter what the fuel is. "Diesel" heat in the tropics isn't the problem. The type of stove is the problem. A stove with thick cooktop that retains heat is what you don't want in the tropics. You can cook breakfast on it and the cooktop is still warm enough at lunch to warm grill cheese sandwiches (been there and done it on a friends boat in the Bahamas). That's what commercial guys in cold climes use for 24x7 use. Otherwise, stoves without thick cooktops cool down after the burners are turned off no matter what the fuel. I used alcohol first and kero later for liveaboard and cruising in the tropics. We didn't have stoves with thick cooktops and there was no big difference in cabin heat except the alcohol burners were somewhere around 7,000 btu and the kero 10,000 btu.

B.
BBill is offline   Reply With Quote