Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2009, 09:37   #16
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dune View Post
Never heard of 'fairy cakes' before.
Arrrrrr.......in that case it ain't so innocently suggestive Just checked with WIKI - you may know 'em as Cup Cakes.

David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2009, 10:08   #17

Good Fences Make Good Neighbors (from Robert Frost's "The Mending Wall")

Your problem is that you've pet the dog, and now he's followed you home.

If he's just showing up uninvited now, and you don't want to look him in the eye and tell him to get the hell away from you, you'll have to be more diplomatic. Let him know that you're looking forward to a "nice quiet evening at home" or that you "have other plans": both vague enough to deny him any handholds. If he's clueless and asks what your specific plans are, respond with "I just feel like being alone tonight." Who can argue with your subjective preference?

A couple or four of those, and he's start to get the picture. But you will have to stand firm for as long as it takes. If you break once now, you're back to square one.

You sound as if you really don't want to hurt his feelings, and that's admirable. But you're doing him a disservice by not setting the limits that he doesn't, for whatever reason, recognize. Being able to enforce healthy boundaries is, well, healthy.

Maybe this will help.

DoJ's solution has panache (and even without the word "fairy" would be enough) but that could affect your dock reputation, and what if he calls your bluff? Yikes! :kissy:
Old 17-07-2009, 11:39   #18

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Dune,
This is not an uncommon situation ashore or afloat. If he's come for the drinks then empty your liquor cabinet for a few days. If he's come to do the cooking then tell him you'd rather not, you're on a diet.
I'll bet you are a nice person and a good listener and what he's really come for is the company (or the booze). Just tell him you need to have some alone time for a bit and if, later, you want to have him return, extend the invitation.
Good luck on this one. I've had folks drop in on me several times and I've just had to say, "I can't get things done while you are here and I need some time to post on cruisersforum."
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2009, 12:41   #19
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
I have the situation in reverse! My boats setee is my canvas shop with a worktable and sewing machine taking up the bulk of the space. Lately I've been invited to other boats more and more often for dinner and drinks...and more drinks. I'm kind of a lightweight drinker and seems like everyone around here starts cocktail hour around lunchtime and doesn't end till late. I take it with a grain of salt and know this is just one stop. Ill dry out when we depart. When in Rome......
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2009, 12:51   #20

How about next time he suggests dinner just saying "Sounds great! bring a six pack of (your favorite beer) would you?"
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2009, 11:56   #21
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
How about next time he suggests dinner just saying "Sounds great! bring a six pack of (your favorite beer) would you?"
Make it a case. That way you will get some too.....i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2009, 12:05   #22
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Good luck on this one. I've had folks drop in on me several times and I've just had to say, "I can't get things done while you are here and I need some time to post on cruisersforum."
Clearly SkiprJohn has his priorities well-ordered.

TaoJones
Old 19-07-2009, 12:12   #23
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
Clearly SkiprJohn has his priorities well-ordered.

TaoJones

With age comes wisdom.....i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2009, 15:27   #24

Boat: Vandestadt ketch 42
Dear Dune,

I find the best way to deal with your type of situation (when one does not want to completely break relationships but reduce the level of contact) it to become more proactive. I will actively seek out the person and state that " I am going to be a little tied up this trip and wanted to say hi and see how you are doing" suffices.

Notwithstanding that I am pretty gregarious and if someone brings the food,cooks and does it well, then with the exception of my really good... hard to get whisky... can have as many beers as they want.

However, when seeking my own solitude or other people's company then I find the proactive approach works extremely well. It has the benefit of schooling the ongoing relationship, whereby they then begin to enquire as to my availability in subsequent contacts which allowed me to be friendly but in control. Try it.... I have always find it works.

Regards

Alan
anglooff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2009, 10:46   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Hey, No thanks...., not tonight,....'other plans. What's the social skill that is not available? ....It's an easy and cordial solution,- you can graciously decline anytime. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2009, 11:46   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
Your problem is that you've pet the dog, and now he's followed you home.
... Isn't it
Where there are cows?
But here there are no cows.
Old 21-07-2009, 12:55   #27

Boat: Sabre 34 Targa - Serendipity
Next time he asks say, "How about we eat on your boat........it's so much more,... COZY". : )
Greyhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2009, 14:58   #28

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
I've had folks drop in on me several times and I've just had to say, "I can't get things done while you are here and I need some time to post on cruisersforum."
Yeah, you could follow SkiprJohn's advice. Make sure you tell him your screenname. If he doesn't get the message then you'll know he is truly thick.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2009, 16:57   #29

I agree with most people's reply. It's obvious that you are a kind and nice person that doesn't want to hurt anyone's feelings. But, it is also obvious that this person doesn't get it. You really have to set the rules in a very nice and possibly comedic tone. Intersplice it with being funny or a joke. There is always some truth in all jokes.

Hopefully, he'll get it then.. Good luck though.. And keep us informed on the situation.
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2009, 09:55   #30
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
if you leave for a few months for extended sailing, he will go away....doesnt matter if on your boat or on someone elses...lol...truly works.....my parasites all went away when i started running away form home ..lol.....besides, the sailing is fun and meeting new folks is a gas....and the adventure factor is incredible~~~~~_/)~~~~~~~~~
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote