Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2015, 08:58   #16

Boat: Irwin CC MKV 37
Re: Young(er) cruisers who sold everything

I am older than you and I am single. I am experiencing the emotions now. Left a beautiful life high in the mountains of Colorado to fulfill dreams or curiousity or lust or adventure or to avoid boredom, who knows. Bought a boat in late June and moved on board Labor Day wknd in NC. I had lots of projects I was looking forward to doing to make the boat comfy and shiny, could hardly wait. Planned on a southern migration toward the end of Nov. Well.... Structural issues with the compression post and many water leaks have taken priority and set my plans back at least a month and my kitty is being drained. I am not retired with a bucket of money, I have a small can half empty. I will have to find work where ever I go.
The insecurity and volnerability are ever present. I am driven whether I understand why isn't important. When I feel overwhelmed by my situation I think of what my best friend went through and over came when his boat/home was taken by Katrina. Look at "Getjealous.com" and search for "Seate" too see an amazing comeback.
Also look at "Jake and Jill Adventures" blog, they too are newbies. I met them recently, very inspiring.
I could go on and on about the challenges but I must get busy rebedding everything......
tonewrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 09:06   #17

The hardest part for me when I was young was the financial uncertainty. If tht is not an issue for you... it's a no brainer.
However, what's your sailing history???
Have you been out for a few weeks at a time?
Lived aboard?
Chartered?
How about your wife's sailing or adventure history?

If all these are near zero... you are way premature. You need to know that you will like cruising, the hardships as well as the good, and be comfortable at sea. If you aren't very confident in this, it may be a big mistake. ARE YOU?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 09:18   #18

Boat: Holman & Pye Red Admiral 36

Been there, done that.

First time Betts and I were 27, 2 year trip LA to Cabo.

Second time at 38, bought a boat in England, moved there, then cruised for 8 years and ended up North Carolina.

An now, at 69, leaving in December for..........wherever, whatever.

You will generally always need to have a store room or someplace to keep your "must have" stuff. Pretty much a fact of life.

The only thing I would highly suggest you do is either keep a "beater" car somewhere so you will immediately have wheels if you come back, or else put $2000 in a safety deposit box so you can get buy a car, insurance, etc.

Having a store room and a car somewhere sort of eases the sense of loss from your "old" world and at least offers a ray of sunshine if everything implodes on you and you need to come back to the world.

Best of wishes to you on your adventure!

Doug & Betts
Doug Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 09:28   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Brown View Post
Been there, done that.

First time Betts and I were 27, 2 year trip LA to Cabo.

Second time at 38, bought a boat in England, moved there, then cruised for 8 years and ended up North Carolina.

An now, at 69, leaving in December for..........wherever, whatever.

You will generally always need to have a store room or someplace to keep your "must have" stuff. Pretty much a fact of life.

The only thing I would highly suggest you do is either keep a "beater" car somewhere so you will immediately have wheels if you come back, or else put $2000 in a safety deposit box so you can get buy a car, insurance, etc.

Having a store room and a car somewhere sort of eases the sense of loss from your "old" world and at least offers a ray of sunshine if everything implodes on you and you need to come back to the world.

Best of wishes to you on your adventure!

Doug & Betts
It is so comforting to have something to fall back on, but I wonder if we would be getting the same experience if we do...
Kayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 09:35   #20

But what about a feeling of contribution to humanity? Like a teacher, whose career choice has positive effects on children. How does the cruising life style benefit mankind?
fmdanisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 09:40   #21

Briefly, here's what we did (91-92):
Sold big house and most contents.
Bought much cheaper, smaller condo.
Moved what we wanted to keep into condo.
Rented Condo to brother and his roommates while he was in college.
Worked out well.
Rich and Patti
retownsendjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 10:07   #22

Boat: Aloha 34

I have been following this couple, which are older than you by maybe a decade or so, and their 10 year old son. I have enjoyed their videos, and it has provided some inspiration for me and my wife. Although we are planning on staying the course, and cruising during retirement, we relish the idea of being able to go now, when the kids are younger and would derive the most from the adventures. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Trio Travels
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 10:08   #23

Boat: Brewer 42

Last spring my (now) wife sold everything to move onto my boat. After getting married in May, we left to begin a circumnavigation. We've only made it from Orange Beach, Alabama to Stuart, Florida so far, but we'll leave for the Bahamas in December.

This is my dream, so for me it's been a no brainer. It took my wife a month or two to get the hang of living aboard, but she's all good these days.

We're over at SailingB+A...feel free to give us a shout if we can help!
Old 20-11-2015, 11:18   #24

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

Just do it, but commit 100% to get great rewards.
we were 38 when we sold our company, house, and everything else, bought a boat, refitted and pointed her across the Atlantic. (We learned to sail along the way) Best thing we ever did.
The story is on our web page, we move into year 18 soon.
Old 20-11-2015, 11:46   #25

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

No matter how old you are, these kind of big transitions are not easy. They are fraught with emotions, a mixed bag of good, bad, fearful and hopeful.

It might even be hard to "let go" of the known if one is older. You know, we old farts get stuck in our ways!

The truth is, conflicting emotions are normal. We too are on the cusp of a new way to live. For us it will be a long term change, even if we decide we are not the cruising folk we think we are. We are both closer to 50. But we are not in a position to leave be hind "former life lite" in case we decide we have made a mistake. We are selling it all to fund our new life, whatever it may be. We are at an age where we won't be able to simply pickup where we left off. Geesh! I could get really maudlin about it all.

But you know, one thing about being older is that you DO gain perspective. No matter the out come of your actions, decision and the like, where you end up is simply the next step in your life. In other words, you might be more or less comfortable than you are this second, but you cant really fail. The only person keeping score is you.

I also know that if I had known at 20, what I know now, I would be one of the old experienced sailors with 100,000 nm under my keel instead of just starting out.

I have experienced uncertainty, pain, hunger, joy, love, adventure, worry, fear, the whole gamut of human emotions, all the while I am on land. Just being dry has not made my life happier, more certain or less dangerous. Its just more familiar at this point. No worries, there is plenty of time to have the same experiences from a wetter perspective!
Sea Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 12:51   #26

Boat: Sail Craft, Apache 41

Hi,

We sold everything when I was 48 and my wife 36 and left on a trial run to see if we liked it. That first test lasted 3 years and then it was time to sweeten the kitty by working a bit more. That was 18 years ago and three boats later we're are ready to go again. We have met numerous young families with children that absolutely love it. We have also seen many failures due to the fact that you are with your significant other and maybe with children 24/7. You soon find out whether that is the lifestyle for all concerned.

Good Luck
Debgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 12:58   #27

Boat: Lagoon 440 (44')

In 2013 we sold/gave/dumped our cars, house, company, dog, in-laws, furniture, everything but a few DVD's and stuff we could pack on our cat. We did not keep any material good and are free to go (or stay) where we want and when we want.

We left Switzerland and dont feel at home there any more. We do not know where is "home" actually and don't really care, but I guess this is not given to everybody.

Since 06/2013 we sail. We are now in Bora-Bora for a year or more. Our twins started school here and we don't know where we'll be next. They adapt quickly, speak French, English and learn Tahitian.

If you want to practice your French visit
Un voyage en famille (or use Google translate)
Old 20-11-2015, 13:19   #28

I am a month away from starting the journey that will end with me and my two kids on a sailboat. I have found a lot of information, idealistic connection and inspiration in a couple of awesome podcast. The first is "Family Adventure Podcast" though they talk a lot about sailing there are also family's living in RV's traveling around and those that fly to there destinations and rent places. The show is really about getting out and traveling with family. With almost eighty podcast to date it is a wealth of information by those that have done and are doing it. Not to take away from those on the board, just listening to podcast while driving is a great way to pass some time. The other podcast is "SailLoot" this one is more focused on how individuals make money to keep the lifestyle going.
Looking forward to meeting some you on the water in Florida in few month's!
VonBruin
vonBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 13:21   #29

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

We are splitting the difference. We sold everything but the cars and live aboard at a marina while outfitting the boat and saving money to head out in a manner that we will feel comfortable with.
Old 20-11-2015, 14:51   #30

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Oh ya... that reminds me. Checkout loveatfirstsail.com

2 30 somethings with 2 kids. They did a recent interview on The Sailing podcast. The lady had a really clear head about home schooling the kids on the boat. Might be good info for you.
Sea Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser