Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2012, 05:39   #496

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee
William Atkin liked bow sprits, the design of my boat was a commission, so was requested not to have a bow sprit...when William Atkin sailed one he was suprisingly pleased at how she behaved with out the bow sprit (the boat is actually better balanced than the original sail plan). I have seen the same lines rigged as a "gaffer" w/bow sprit....it looks cute but the performance sucks. My boat has the original 47' mast (high aspect, jib headed main) much better balanced and potential for cutter rig added.
As the equally proud owner of an Atkin design, (Idora is a true to design Ingrid) I am in total solidarity with your love of the original article. I am one of the few down here in PL . Hope you are passing the winter comfortably. I will be up in the yard this winter for bottom paint and chain plate bolts and exhaust repairs. Just teasing you about the bow sprit.
I might be a liveaboard if things keep up like they are.

Todd
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard