Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2015, 06:38   #31

Boat: Beneteau
Re: Would like an open plan, though will I undermine hull Integrity?

Too much talk about hand holds and fiddles in these sites. Been on and around boats all my life...an owner for more than 40 years and yachties are the only people that get on with this. Maybe some people never get their sea legs. The tug we presently have would fail all of those criteria and yet has pounder through 70 knots in the most hateful place on the planet with actual seamen.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 07:57   #32

Boat: Nicholson 31 1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
Questions-

Do you have a cabin top mounted traveler for the main? If so where is it attached relative to the bulkhead?

Is your only access to the starboard quarter berth though the cut out shown? Or can you get at it from a cockpit locker? Would you be okay with eliminating the access shown in favor of a better galley? If there is no cockpit locker access would you be comfortable creating one in favor of a better galley?

What does the port side arrangement look like? Is there a nav station? Can you post a photo?

I see "Boat Sales Tasmania" on some of the photos. I looked at their site but didn't see this boat but maybe missed it. Is this a boat you bought? Or one you are considering buying?
Am considering purchase, Port side has Nav Station,... YES, would be willing to eliminate that access shown to St'd locker for a more functional galley, could NOT live with the existing galley. Photos of Nav station, has same size area as you can see.
Bulkhead is just foreward of that round stainless deck vent & just foreward of side windows.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8_3.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	114936   Click image for larger version

Name:	7_3.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	114937  

Click image for larger version

Name:	FX16.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	114938   Click image for larger version

Name:	FX12.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	114939  

Boxertwinjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 08:25   #33

Heres what I would do, ymmv

Id take out that locker by the nav station and arrange a forward looking nav position, and I would relieve much of the bulkhead above it in ways discussed earlier

I would give up the berth aft starboard and make it into a locker under the cockpit seating. But I would keep 500-600mm of it for the galley, making the galley more U shaped.

The stove arrangement isnt right and takes up too much room, so make new cabinetry that is narrower giving more room in the U, and put the sink out there where the stove was where its closer to the centreline of the boat and put the stove where the sink is.

With the narrower cabinet and the foot space in the galley relieved of the step, you will have much more space to be able to be within the galley instead of outside it.

At the same time, Id relieve the galley bulkhead above the counter to make the eye level distances seem more spacious.

Assuming the bulkheads are structural, to remove much of the galley and nav bulkheads properly requires adequate framing to replace them. I would laminate a beam under the cabin roof where the bulkhead was, and do the same under floor while allowing holes to cope with any possible bilgewater.

These problems the boat has make it near unlivable, but they are fixable and the price of the boat is right provided there are few other issues. Typical homebuilder thing really, bound to be a few more like that.

Connect the underfloor and cabin roof beams with stout laminated columns on the cabin sides and in the thruway fasten mechanically and epoxy glue.

One problem I can see in the images is, there is no bridgedeck, If the cockpit takes water its going to go straight down into the cabin. Also those cabin doors look near useless. You need to redesign that so it opens the other way
and covers the entire aperture to the cabin.

Old 13-12-2015, 09:10   #34

@ #31:

uhmm... I think we can afford to make a distinction twixt the requirements/preferences of us Sunday-sailors and those of the members of the merchant marine, who I respect greatly.

The poor sods who go to sea for money must take what the owners give them and learn to live with it, deficient though it may be.

We benighted Sunday-sailors are the ones that foot the bills for our boats and if we want handholds, we'll jolly well have them. And we'll debate till we are blue in the face where we're gonna put them :-0)!

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 09:26   #35

Boat: 1971 cal 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
@ #31:

uhmm... I think we can afford to make a distinction twixt the requirements/preferences of us Sunday-sailors and those of the members of the merchant marine, who I respect greatly.

The poor sods who go to sea for money must take what the owners give them and learn to live with it, deficient though it may be.

We benighted Sunday-sailors are the ones that foot the bills for our boats and if we want handholds, we'll jolly well have them. And we'll debate till we are blue in the face where we're gonna put them :-0)!

TrentePieds

i would have to agree with that. "real" sailors, during the age of sail, had no functioning toilets. they just took a dump from the bowsprit...as we all know; giving the name of 'head' to all boat crappers, once they were invented. that doesn't mean i want to turn my head into a storage locker and hang from the pulpit to do my business aboard my own sailboat.
first wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 09:40   #36

'Ave a butcher's at the arrangement plan I posted, and you'll see that THAT arrangement is workable. The problem with the boat you are contemplating is that a previous owner, perhaps the amatoor builder made "improvements" on the original design. I agree with you, the arrangement in the pics is both unworkable and potentially dangerous.

TrentePieds suffers from the same syndrome. She's been through four owners afore me, and each one has made "improvements", and each successive one has had a successively wobblier grasp of the fundamentals.

As something of a side issue, but nevertheless: Give some thought to what you like to cook and HOW you like to cook before you finalize a new galley design. I have a reasonable 3-week rotating menu of things that I can cook efficiently and attractively in TrentePieds' existing galley given the absence of a freezer. That governs the provisioning, but here in the Salish Sea 3 weeks without touching land is a rarity, so for my purposes there is no need to make the galley more "sophisticated" nor to install failure prone "systems". A menu that relies heavily on "one pot" meals goes a long way towards keeping galleys simple and pleasant to work in.

For that matter, if you are into fresh bread - and who isn't - you can have as much as you like if you bake it in a pot from a "bread mix" you make up in bulk that just requires activation with hot water when you came to use it. Of sourse you do need a stove with oven rather than a "nuke" :-)

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 10:10   #37

A similar arrangement just the opposite way, but without the third cabinet to put the sink in. Do note it fits inside what might have been a pilot berth aperture, exactly the same predicament. The berth becoming stowage under the cockpit seating where I am sure it will be useful.

As in this example below the you wont have room for such large counters because the space offered wont let you go that deep at the aft bulkhead, but it offers lots of chances for cupboards and drawers. As seen here an icebox or cooler in the least accessible corner.

Note sinks near the centreline where the water sloshes around less, and a crew can do the dishes while somebody else is attending to hot drinks etc. Stove properly in gimbals. The solution for you in as far as the galley goes is a combination of these two. Think about some fill covers for the sinks to offer more flat working surface, so careful how you cut the sink aperture out.

Some remnant of the bulkhead can be kept between the galley and the saloon.

In a sense it would have been better if the almost L shaped saloon lounges were on the same side as the galley because the two need that 6 inches to a foot further to the middle of the companionway to make them worthwhile, and therefore both becoming U shapes.

That would leave the pilot berth and the nav to happily co-exist, with the single lounge and berth above forward of them. It is the most usual and conformist design available because it works where a boat is challenged by interior length.

Tags
hull