Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2014, 16:11   #1

Worth it?

Hi,
So we are within months of moving onto our Catalina sailboat. The old cushions can't be used, nor the foam, so we have to start from scratch. I had this idea to make the cushions....silly girl! So after that thought totally fell through, we are having someone make them. The quote was $2,500 for 13 cushions including some crazy thick comfortable bedding material for both sleeping areas. My first car was only $900.00. Is this a normal cost for custom made stuff? My thought was to go out and buy like 10 body pillows ( I know, some of you might be cringing at that thought.

I know it's all of our "furniture."

Feedback would be awesome.
CoastalLiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 13:55   #2

Boat: Roughwater, pilot house, 58 ft
Re: Worth it?

With out more detail its heard to say! For marine custom that does not sound to bad. Remember ts a boat, so things cost a lot more!
rw58ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 14:18   #3

Boat: 1995 Catalina 36 MkII

I agree it does not sound too high for a turn key job. If you want to economize order the foam online, cut to shape, purchase your own material, and then advertise on something like Craigslist for someone to do sewing. Take a pic of all foam laid out on a lawn somewhere to make the estimate process easier. We did that with only 5 pieces and saw finished price for just the sewing including zzippers to land at $250. We did not have to buy foam but add $120 for material and we got new v-berth and two quarter berths plus a small single seat bottom done for $370... Pics will follow as soon as cabin projects get done... we are very happy with outcomeoutcome...
rbyham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 14:20   #4

Boat: Wylie 45' Custom

So your talking over $200.00 per cushion. Check upholsters out side the boating world. Buy your foam and material on line, foam factory is a good source for foam, ebay for material. Box cushions are not that hard, and if there are odd shapes, and there will be, make your own templates. I found a seamstress last year that did up 11 box cushions charged me under $400.00 to stich them up with welting and nylon zippers, I supplied my own foam and material.
NRosenthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 14:45   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rw58ph View Post
With out more detail its heard to say! For marine custom that does not sound to bad. Remember ts a boat, so things cost a lot more!

Thank you for your reply. I guess custom made is a whole new world
Isabel
Old 02-04-2014, 14:48   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbyham View Post
I agree it does not sound too high for a turn key job. If you want to economize order the foam online, cut to shape, purchase your own material, and then advertise on something like Craigslist for someone to do sewing. Take a pic of all foam laid out on a lawn somewhere to make the estimate process easier. We did that with only 5 pieces and saw finished price for just the sewing including zzippers to land at $250. We did not have to buy foam but add $120 for material and we got new v-berth and two quarter berths plus a small single seat bottom done for $370... Pics will follow as soon as cabin projects get done... we are very happy with outcomeoutcome...

That's great. I never thought of that....I guess I feel out of my league a little with projects like this. For some reason taking apart a window and re-sealing it seems more manageable!
Isabel
Old 02-04-2014, 14:49   #7

Boat: Catalina 30

That's not a bad price. We had the workshop at the Concord N.H. do a similar amount and it came to 1,500 or so. Decent work but not perfect. So for a professional job it sounds very reasonable.
Old 02-04-2014, 14:49   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRosenthal View Post
So your talking over $200.00 per cushion. Check upholsters out side the boating world. Buy your foam and material on line, foam factory is a good source for foam, ebay for material. Box cushions are not that hard, and if there are odd shapes, and there will be, make your own templates. I found a seamstress last year that did up 11 box cushions charged me under $400.00 to stich them up with welting and nylon zippers, I supplied my own foam and material.

Hummmm....that's a good idea. I'm going to check out foam factory
Thank you,
Isabel
Old 02-04-2014, 15:42   #9

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherocks83 View Post
That's not a bad price. We had the workshop at the Concord N.H. do a similar amount and it came to 1,500 or so. Decent work but not perfect. So for a professional job it sounds very reasonable.
Sorry that was supposed to say Concord NH prison
Old 02-04-2014, 19:00   #10

Well, don't throw the old stuff away. That's your pattern. This may sound like common sense advice, but I certainly would have tossed the old and then tried to get new.

I bet the new cushions will be real nice. Are you going with a new color scheme ? Also, $2500 sounds very inexpensive. I have an $800 car, and it's a piece of junk.
robert644 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 19:13   #11

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Shoot my first car, a '37 Ford, was $150. That's a couple tanks of gas now. Wish I still had it.
Old 02-04-2014, 19:30   #12

That's two tanks of gas, if that's what you mean by a couple. That's what my car would take. How much gas could you have bought with $150 when you got the car ?
robert644 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 19:34   #13
cruiser

Custom upholstery is not cheap but going to a non- marine shop might help. If you bought and cut all the foam it would reduce costs. Maybe source all the fabric as well. I just paid $300+ for one bunk that was 6'6". I found outside the marine industry the wait time was cut by 1/4, the marine guys all wanted months or weeks to even get to it .
Horror Hotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 21:04   #14

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

Both of my parents are retired upholsterers so yeah, I've made some cushions. They're a lot of work. Depending on the material you choose that is somewhere between cheap and expensive. Probably fair. You can always get a price somewhere else to compare. Young & hungry places are cheaper and can still do perfect work. Old & drunk places can be expensive and do shoddy work.
Old 05-04-2014, 23:56   #15

Boat: Columbia C45 45'

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalLiving View Post
That's great. I never thought of that....I guess I feel out of my league a little with projects like this. For some reason taking apart a window and re-sealing it seems more manageable!
Isabel

You will learn as time passes to do a lot of research on DIY projects to save yourself money. If you want to do it yourself you can always find someone who has done it and is willing to give you guidance on your project. This comes with experience. I do not think what you paid was out of line and would not be upset with it. I hope you have learned from all your answers to ask here before acting on anything that is not an emergency. You will find a lot of positive answers that will help you, unfortunately you will also get some negative responses that are of no value, but do not let them deter you.
boating2go is offline   Reply With Quote