Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2011, 15:27   #1

Boat: Looking, looking, Looking
Workshop / Seminar Suggestions

Hi-

My wife and I are just at 2-years out from liquating life on land and heading off to cruise for as long as are health lasts. I have spent the better part of the past 5 years learning as much as I could about boats, their systems, chartering several different Cat’s we are considering but no matter how much we learn it seems the learning curve keeps getting steeper. We’ve decided the best thing to do is attend some of the classes, workshops, seminars, etc. that are out there but there are about as many of them as boats (ok a bit of hyperbole) but there are a lot of choices. From Two-Can-Sail to Latitudes & Attitudes Cruising Seminar, to Cruisers-U, and on. We could easily eat up the cruising kitty attending workshops. Making it even more difficult is we are located in the middle of nowhere (West Texas). There is a question in all of this, which is, are there any of these workshops, seminars that any of you found most helpful with the basics in getting prepared for a life cruising; everything from how to deal with aging parents and staying connected with family to how to deal with and what to expect from the day-to-day life.

Thanks in advanced. Even if we don’t know what we are doing we are committed to doing it!
fbchristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 16:25   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Workshop/Seminar Suggestions

I'd suggest that you can choose a workshop or seminar in a location you enjoy and have fun with it, but if you've been studying and planning for five years, you can roll up that yellow hammock and take it on board. If you're thinking about begining your cruising on the US East Coast & Bahamas, there are easy streches and short passages where good weather choices can make cruising very easy. I know I have not answered your question other than to say that cruising itself can be an easy teacher in the right location.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:12   #3

Boat: Looking, looking, Looking

Thanks for the information and advice. This is like jumping out of an airplane (with a parachute of course.) You are pretty sure everything will be all right but in the back of your mind you wound, why am I jumping out of a perfectly good airplane, on in this case off solid earth.
fbchristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 07:39   #4

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

The Seven Seas Cruising Association (SSCA) Seven Seas University has webinars on a number of subjects (including those I instruct, mostly on communications). See Welcome to the Seven Seas U .
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 07:43   #5
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbchristo View Post
We could easily eat up the cruising kitty attending workshops.
Before we moved aboard I took a course on diesel maintenance, and my wife took a course on sail repair.

That was sufficient.
Old 03-05-2011, 14:37   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbchristo View Post
.......... This is like jumping out of an airplane (with a parachute of course.)..............
This could be a good analogy except there can't be semi-jumps out of the plane, but there can be inshore cruises, rivers, Bays, ICW, ....then, day hops offshore,.....then overnights with daylight landfalls,...etc.