Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2017, 15:01   #31
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Working Out While Underway

The harder you work out..
The quicker you wear out..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 06-01-2017, 15:10   #32

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)
Re: Working Out While Underway

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
That comments got no legs mate..!!!
But think of the extra exercise he got while underway.
Old 06-01-2017, 15:35   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Which is why I believe coastal cruising can be a decent workout.

.................................................. .
.................................................. .

Then if you end up at an exposed anchorage, there's the workout of trying to stay in your berth while attempting to sleep
Exactly.

In our exposed anchorage at Cape Lookout with south winds, we stood anchor watch! Too rolly and bouncy to really sleep although I did get a hour or so between 0200 and 0600 when crew was on watch after my 2000 to 0200 stint! :smile :

Just sleeping I got a few days worth of "exercise" keeping myself in one place!
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 06-01-2017, 15:43   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior Chief View Post
Try studying the Bible. That is a workout more needed in this sinful world than body exercise. Chauncey 'BUDDY' Freeman, Senior Chief, U.S.Navy,Retired (2 Timothy 2:15,16 KJV) 2 Timothy 2:15-16King James Version (KJV)

15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

16 But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness.
Please take your inappropriate and unwelcome proselytizing elsewhere.

(I'm struggling to stay polite....)
Old 06-01-2017, 16:01   #35

Quote:
Try studying the Bible. That is a workout more needed in this sinful world than body exercise. .....................
Stu's right.

I got a boat to JOIN that horrible, horrible sinful world.

I do admit, however, that I never did join a yacht club.

Religion? Ya mean that opiate for the masses?

Might wanna go peddle this on the medical marijuana thread.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 06-01-2017, 16:27   #36

Boat: a sailing boat

Small boat, long passages here. Next to zero workout options. It sucks.

What I do is I beef up before the passage then swim a lot right after the passage, then I move on to running and lifting.

Normally, it costs me well beyond a month to recover from a 30 days' passage damage.

Alas, I found the body has a 'fitness memory' of sorts: it took me years to get to the marathon level, but it costs me only months to get to the same or similar level every time I cannot exercise for a while.

On the second thought, the fitness memory seems much like your fatness memory: if you are fat and shed some pounds, the body will very quickly rebuild the fat if you drop your guard, even if getting fat originally took you years.

b.
Old 06-01-2017, 17:12   #37

I have only one question for a segment of this thread: Which version is best for a proper workout: the King James, King James revised, New Standard, or whatever it is the Roman Catholics use? [Sorry, no offense intended, I really could not recall the name of the Roman Catholic Bible.] I promise I will not post again to this thread.
Old 06-01-2017, 17:22   #38

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

We retired at the end of 2015, and headed out in the boat from Texas to Bahamas earlier this year. Was "cruising" for about three months. Ate well, drank more, but a lot more movement. No dedicated exercises, but go up and down the companionway steps, snorkel, kayak, hike the islands, swim. I dropped ten pounds (to 195 lbs) in a couple of months after retirement. (Engineer sitting at a desk mostly, to being naturally active.) On our three month cruise, I dropped another 20 lbs. Waist went from a 36 tight to a 34 loose. Felt great.

Unfortunately back to my land-based existence, my weight has gone back to pre-cruise. Most of this I attribute to less exercise and more sweets! (The holiday season is a killer!) But just to sum it up, the increased activity level will take care of any issues you have. Was pretty much the same experience of my wife.

Damn, I miss the Bahamas. Especially since overnight lows will be nearing freezing tonight, even in south Texas.
Old 06-01-2017, 17:29   #39

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzstar View Post
I have only one question for a segment of this thread: Which version is best for a proper workout:
The Koine Greek version of course for the quoted verses.
And the Torah in its original Hebrew version for the Old Testament.

Anything else is even more dubious than those originals texts since they have been filtered by doctrine in translation
Old 06-01-2017, 17:34   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
We retired at the end of 2015, and headed out in the boat from Texas to Bahamas earlier this year. Was "cruising" for about three months. Ate well, drank more, but a lot more movement. No dedicated exercises, but go up and down the companionway steps, snorkel, kayak, hike the islands, swim. I dropped ten pounds (to 195 lbs) in a couple of months after retirement. (Engineer sitting at a desk mostly, to being naturally active.) On our three month cruise, I dropped another 20 lbs. Waist went from a 36 tight to a 34 loose. Felt great.

Unfortunately back to my land-based existence, my weight has gone back to pre-cruise. Most of this I attribute to less exercise and more sweets! (The holiday season is a killer!) But just to sum it up, the increased activity level will take care of any issues you have. Was pretty much the same experience of my wife.

Damn, I miss the Bahamas. Especially since overnight lows will be nearing freezing tonight, even in south Texas.
!!!!! Cruising, even while at anchor, equals exercise. It is difficult to be sedentary even while on the hook.
Old 06-01-2017, 17:51   #41

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasick View Post

Ocean sailing is perhaps the best workout unto itself you will likely ever encounter. (...)

Edited to add: I see Thomm225 beat me to the post
Did not he say 'coastal cruising'?

I 100% disagree with ocean sailing being any exercise. Otherwise all my fat cruising friends would be somewhat different.

Maybe, when the boat is big, or very powerful, ocean racing could be a good exercise. But even then, a very incomplete and selective one. Read VG sailors comments on what is happening to their legs. One actually consulted the race doctor on this.

Ocean sailing (plain, not sport) sucks as an exercise. Only some muscles work and only in short bursts. Overall activity level drops by at least 80% compared to an active land lifestyle.

No activity = dystrophy.

So. Maybe not 100% disagree, but PLS qualify what style of ocean sailing you have on your mind. And even then, do take a training bike with you!

Love,
barnakiel
Old 07-01-2017, 07:10   #42

Boat: Catalina 400

We got some of these after hearing about it from some sailing podcast or blog, the Cruisers being interviewed retired from owning a chain of martial arts studios. Health nuts.

TRX Resistance Training - we can connect to the mast or to handholds, the arch over the cockpit, or to lots of places on shore.
Provides a surprising workout. Packs down to size of a poncho.

Have only used them at anchor or tied up, never thought to try 'em underway.

Old 07-01-2017, 07:55   #43

Boat: Bristol 27

Then there's pulling up the anchor without a windlass as was mentioned earlier.

Repositioning the boat a few times to different spots is a workout.

Getting into and out of a kayak from the boat or the water is another thing folks don't do a lot onshore.

Getting back into the boat. Mine doesn't have a ladder.

If I'm tired I use the kayak to get back in after swimming, hiking etc. But sometimes I'll do a pull up after "jumping up" to the stern railing. The pull up is half the battle.

Another one is "riding" the head during your morning "movement" if at a rough anchorage. It can get interesting, but at least it's usually breezy and you have fresh air.

Add the above to sailing, kayaking, hiking, etc and you get a great workout without bring along any exercise equipment on your weekend or vacation coastal cruises

I've done the gym thing forever plus cycling and running. It's a nice break to "Cross Train" on the boat .
Old 07-01-2017, 12:05   #44

Quote:
Try studying the Bible. That is a workout more needed in this sinful world than body exercise. Chauncey 'BUDDY' Freeman, Senior Chief, U.S.Navy,Retired (2 Timothy 2:15,16 KJV) 2 Timothy 2:15-16King James Version (KJV)

15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

16 But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness.
Well spoken Brother. I good reminder for myself to study more. I keep my Bible and devotional on the chart table. On top of the charts for navigation of my boat lay the charts for the navigation of my soul.
Old 07-01-2017, 12:20   #45

Boat: Bristol 27

Praying is nice but to stay in shape you gotta move the body that your soul inhabits now.

Some pray for God to give them strength.......to continue on a long run, bike ride, for one more rep, or to get the damn anchor up outta the mud!
Closed Thread