Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2014, 00:43   #31

Boat: One-off Baron von Hoevell, 29ft steel classic
Thanks for all the input guys! If I read between the lines correcgly there are opportunities if you put in some effort talking to the right people and putting yourself out there.

However, this puts you in the spotlight immediately, is this a big risk or is it very common and not a problem if you move on after a few weeks?
Orchidius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2014, 07:15   #32

Boat: Nimble Artic 26
Re: Working in the Carib

Its been my experience, that having a sponsor in the government helps or rather IS REQUIRED.

I think it will be difficult to travel around meet and befriend the powerful people that are required unless you are an extra ordinary individual.
Old 14-02-2014, 08:17   #33

Boat: West Wight Potter 19

Just think how easy it was 300-400 years ago. Get on the boat and go. No bureaucracy. no paper work, no work permits, no fees, no bs. Man I missed those days and I did not even live then.
I see myself as a citizen of this Earth and I'll be damn if I am gonna have someone tell me where and how I can work. I have done it many times, in two contries, and it worked for me and the locals. Most of the time, including now, I did jobs that nobody wanted anyway. And that is the key!......Most local authorities close an eye at cash under the table kind of jobs....Heck some national economies are supported by illegal immigrants......
There seems to be a moral dilemma here about breaking a law while working without a permit. Some laws are just meant to be broken. They just kill the free human spirit......good luck orchidius
rakedfront1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2014, 08:22   #34
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Working in the Carib

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakedfront1 View Post
Just think how easy it was 300-400 years ago. Get on the boat and go. No bureaucracy. no paper work, no work permits, no fees, no bs. Man I missed those days and I did not even live then.
I see myself as a citizen of this Earth and I'll be damn if I am gonna have someone tell me where and how I can work. I have done it many times, in two contries, and it worked for me and the locals. Most of the time, including now, I did jobs that nobody wanted anyway. And that is the key!......Most local authorities close an eye at cash under the table kind of jobs....Heck some national economies are supported by illegal immigrants......
There seems to be a moral dilemma here about breaking a law while working without a permit. Some laws are just meant to be broken. They just kill the free human spirit......good luck orchidius
No need to go that far back.. 50yrs ago you sailed in somewhere and your seamans book was as good as a passport.. minimum to zero ******** and officialdom..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2014, 10:52   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbodine88 View Post
I think it will be difficult to travel around meet and befriend the powerful people...
I don't think anyone was recommending that he meet the powerful people. They were recommending that he meet people who can tell him where to go and who to talk to in order to get a job "under the table," "off the books," or--as they are generally described here in the U.S.--as an "illegal alien."
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2014, 17:20   #36

Boat: 1972 Contest 33

I thought under the radar meant out of the govs eyesight. And not a foriegn gov but your own.
I have skills and am always improving them. I am a tinkrerer and can build things that yachties need. I also can serve tables, fry food, teach anything, and will use all my witts and resources to work as soon as I step off my boat and onto the docks. I will however stay away from capital cities and tourist traps if possible.
Boatman may have left one thing out though. Do the local police captain a favor if you can. Just in case...:-)
Old 17-02-2014, 17:51   #37

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

AHH Boatie, there was a time allright, ya could even go to a Marine Hospital on your book ! But I fear those days are long gone !! Now if ya break an arm at sea ya need Ins and all kinds of ID to even get looked at !! O well things change and never for the better!!
Old 17-02-2014, 19:11   #38

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
O well things change and never for the better!!
Many things have changed for the better in our lifetime. Just many are worse too. And some are just cyclical.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2014, 20:40   #39

Boat: C&C 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
it would probably work great till the immigration put you in prison for working illegally with all the haitian and dominican republic illegals.........and boy those guys like a bit of white ass
Atoll , really now, you must come clean and regale us with your colorful tales on how you acquired such knowledge.. and do not spare any details either.. many I am sure will lust over your incarcerated adventure story telling.
tightgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2014, 20:50   #40

Boat: C&C 25

Quote:
I have a hard time understanding your 300 year old comment. When you say no bureaucracy, do you exclude human slavery, torture, and the inhumane conditions one had to endure while sailing ?

You do not like to abide by someone else's rules ? Do you respect any law ? By being a citizen of Earth as you say, do you feel you are above the rest of us, whom are living within the boundaries of law ? Please explain this notion , for I do not follow your logic here..
tightgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2014, 22:42   #41
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Really, you think, read a bit of history, 300 years ago there was plenty of paper works , no human rights , slavery, widespread child labour , etc etc etc sheesh. In the UK passports have been around since the 1400s

Dave
Old 23-02-2014, 10:21   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightgroup View Post
I have a hard time understanding your 300 year old comment. When you say no bureaucracy, do you exclude human slavery, torture, and the inhumane conditions one had to endure while sailing ?

You do not like to abide by someone else's rules ? Do you respect any law ? By being a citizen of Earth as you say, do you feel you are above the rest of us, whom are living within the boundaries of law ? Please explain this notion , for I do not follow your logic here..
Well I would not be a high school math teacher if it was not for my clear criminal record. So here is your answer to do you respect any law question.

.....ironically....for example I do not respect the law that says I have to wear a helmet when I ride a motorcycle in NC. Because is nobodies business to tell me how to be safe. Not to mention if I cross the state line to SC I do not have to wear one anyway. Get it? Here is an example of a stupid law, I have no respect for. And let me assure that does not affect you in anyway, sir. Same thing with work under the table. I have done it and I will do it again if I need to. Next time you eat a salad or a fruit think of those millions of illegals that are here in the US doing jobs that nobody wants.

.......this slavery thing that you bring up was a "lawful" entreprise back then. And if it was still "lawful" today I would not have any respect for it either....

You see, the law is more like shades of gray rather than white or black. Do not let any laws prevail over your common sense and good morals that I assume you posses....

.....and shame on you for going 39 mph in a 35 zone......
Old 23-02-2014, 10:41   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Really, you think, read a bit of history, 300 years ago there was plenty of paper works , no human rights , slavery, widespread child labour , etc etc etc sheesh. In the UK passports have been around since the 1400s

Dave
I have read a lot of history books and continue to do so till the day I die since I have a genuine interest in the subject. I will not argue with you the fact that it was some paper work involved even way back then but it was way less. And you cannot disagree with that.

My great grand father came to US from Europe in the late nineteen hundreds, worked here for a few years then went back to his native country without a passport!!!! He did that twice!!!I assumed he worked here legally because nobody asked him for a work permit. Or you can say that he broke the law since he worked under the table. I will let you decide that....
Old 23-02-2014, 10:50   #44

Boat: Seadog 30

Quote:

…..I do not respect the law that says I have to wear a helmet when I ride a motorcycle ....
I agree, it's a nonsense.

I wonder how people would react to me arguing that people who drive cars aught to wear helmets and leg protectors. Maybe when sailing a yacht with a boom they aught to wear a helmet and full immersion suit.
Let's face it non sailors and drivers are having to pay for the emergency services.
Captain Ludd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2014, 10:56   #45

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

"I'm from the government & I'm here to help you"

Run away or shoot.

There is no greater impediment to my retirement & world cruising than government intrusion, oversight, meddling, micromanaging. The agenda appears to be making 'pets' of all of us, totally dependent on their largess. To appreciate the point of view, the IRS refers to any tax reduction as an "expenditure". The clear meaning is that it was never your money, only theirs & they decide how much you will get to survive on.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rib