Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 31-12-2008, 23:07   #46

Location: Currently on the HARD in Guaymas Mexico and staying in Phoenix, AZ
Boat: Columbia 45
Where are you? I am in Crow's Nest in Tyee or NW Commencement in Tacoma. Just E of Brown's Point. I live on it during the week. Got a stupid hosue here in Oly, WANT TO BUY A HOUSE? Might even throw in a wife... Don't tell her that...

Old 31-12-2008, 23:15   #47

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Im up in LaConner...one house ...one wife ..set..for life..

Wife has a cousin off Marvin Road

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 09:41   #48

Boat: 45 custom steel ketch-Steelin Time
If you go to Dickinson Pacific Diesel Marine Stove with Oven
you'll find info on the Dickinson Pacific marine stove, it was misspelled in the original post. I would also be interested in it but since you're closer I would suspect it wouldn't be covienient for me... Jon
Old 01-01-2009, 13:43   #49
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
My final heater and cooking combination is a old Dickinson Bering diesel cook stove/oven installed in the galley on the port side, a two burner propane cook top located behind companionway ladder under the nav deck and small bulkhead mount wood heater locate between main cabin and forward cabin. A few extras are a propane "Sea-Swing" just in side the companionway (can reach a pot of coffee and hold on to the tiller at the same time) and a stainless propan bbq in the cockpit. This will replace/supllement the disfunctional 110v electric heater I use when connected to shore power.
Old 30-06-2009, 19:48   #50
Eternal Member

I used my wood heater for a winter and found the compressed logs (the heavy ones not the cheap ones will last me about days each. I have decided to keep my propane cook top, but relocate it and put the diesel cookstove/oven in it's place. With a 110v toaster oven/convection oven on top of it while I have access to shore power. I still haven't found canisters for my see-swing stove, the stove has male threads....most canisters have male theads...it is a "Sea-Swing" brand stove, propane with Sea-Swing stamped in the aluminum frame....but that is a subject for a different thread.
Old 01-07-2009, 00:25   #51
Wayfaring Mariner

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Skookum 53'
Hi wolfenzee,
I have used diesel, wood & propane for heat. On my small aluminum commercial fishing boat, I have both a diesel stove/oven and a 1 burner propane stove top. When I am fishing the diesel stove stays on all the time and keeps the boat toasty, I keep a tea pot on the stove top, so when I get up in the morning, it only takes a quick shot on the propane burner to bring the water to a boil for coffee. I usually take some boneless pork ribs and spice them up and wrap them in foil in a biscuit pan and put in the small oven side of the diesel stove at about 1000 and by 1400, I have a nice piping hot lunch. The main thing you have to watch with the diesel stoves are the carburetors, they have a small needle valve in them and if they get stuck the stove can run away. I have a shut off valve at the tank to prevent this, the other solution is a small drip valve with a sight glass on it, and you can manually regulate the drip rate. If you are going to the trouble of putting a suction line to your tank to feed the engine, you might consider putting a bypass on your return so that you can fill the stove tank when your engine is running. I have not used wood on a boat for a heat source, only in my house, and for the mess it generates, I don't know if I would want it on my boat, and there is the danger to the sails. Maybe charcoal or wood pellets would work better. If I worked in a boat yard and I had access to lots of small bits of kiln dried wood, I might consider it.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:04   #52
Eternal Member

"premanufacturd firewood" burns clean

All my life I sneered at "manufactured firewood" but the compressed stuff I get burns really clean and long (think of a stove pellet that you cut into wafers and lasts 4-5 days). My woodstove is replacing a kerosene heater that had a drip valve....it almost burnt the boat down. The fuel tank will not be very far from the diesel stove and has a shut off valve on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
Hi wolfenzee,
I have used diesel, wood & propane for heat. On my small aluminum commercial fishing boat, I have both a diesel stove/oven and a 1 burner propane stove top. When I am fishing the diesel stove stays on all the time and keeps the boat toasty, I keep a tea pot on the stove top, so when I get up in the morning, it only takes a quick shot on the propane burner to bring the water to a boil for coffee. I usually take some boneless pork ribs and spice them up and wrap them in foil in a biscuit pan and put in the small oven side of the diesel stove at about 1000 and by 1400, I have a nice piping hot lunch. The main thing you have to watch with the diesel stoves are the carburetors, they have a small needle valve in them and if they get stuck the stove can run away. I have a shut off valve at the tank to prevent this, the other solution is a small drip valve with a sight glass on it, and you can manually regulate the drip rate. If you are going to the trouble of putting a suction line to your tank to feed the engine, you might consider putting a bypass on your return so that you can fill the stove tank when your engine is running. I have not used wood on a boat for a heat source, only in my house, and for the mess it generates, I don't know if I would want it on my boat, and there is the danger to the sails. Maybe charcoal or wood pellets would work better. If I worked in a boat yard and I had access to lots of small bits of kiln dried wood, I might consider it.
Old 19-10-2009, 21:55   #53

Sorry not so traditional but maybe how about a new generation diesel? Try Wallas . fi website these are enclosed burn & have been around for a while so are reliable. A lot of the boats built here in NZ for Canadian, USA, European owners have this brand in them.

Dry heat and no smell, no lighting hassles........
Old 20-10-2009, 01:45   #54
Eternal Member

I have an old Dickinson Bering Diesel stove which I was going to install as a kerosene stove...then got a really good deal on a 2 burner propane stove w/oven. I have a small bulkhead mount wood stove for heat between main cabin and forward cabin in a space originally designed as a hanging locker.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:33   #55
Eternal Member

my diesel stove is now set up for kerosene and in storage till i can get around to selling it.
Old 05-11-2009, 13:22   #56
S&S

Boat: 48' 1963 S&S yawl
Too much ash and (potentially) buggy wood is a nightmare to be avoided. We use anthracite in the cabin heater Hot, dry heat- minimal ash.

Reading Anthracite Coal - Pottsville, Pennsylvania
Old 05-11-2009, 15:09   #57
Eternal Member

the "manufactured firewood" i use has much less ash, smoke and build up in the pipe, plus burns alot more consistently, if comes wrapped in shrink wrap so there are no bug or humidity problems. A log costs me $1 and lasts about 4 days, there three types fancy expensive ones with chemicals to make pretty fire, really cheap "Presto" logs which burn up really fast and fall apart in a humid environment and the ones I use which are about twice the weight.
Old 05-11-2009, 15:17   #58
S&S

Boat: 48' 1963 S&S yawl
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee View Post
the "manufactured firewood" i use has much less ash, smoke and build up in the pipe, plus burns alot more consistently, if comes wrapped in shrink wrap so there are no bug or humidity problems. A log costs me $1 and lasts about 4 days, there three types fancy expensive ones with chemicals to make pretty fire, really cheap "Presto" logs which burn up really fast and fall apart in a humid environment and the ones I use which are about twice the weight.
sounds better- Care to mention the brand?
Old 05-11-2009, 16:30   #59
Eternal Member

The stores i buy it from get it in by the pallet, I do know that it is manufactured in Oregon, one side is flat spotted (so they don't roll) and unlike the "Presto" brand which is made from pine it is made from hard wood.
Old 05-11-2009, 17:59   #60

Go wood, it's a good source of unlimited fuel, which can be obtained anywhere.

Have any of you woodburners used charcoal? It burns well with a good heat output, light and easy to store and harbours no beasties. Plus all the oil, water and other nasties have already been burnt off in the making.

Tags
diesel

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: