Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2010, 19:25   #1

Woman Living on a Boat ?

Any other women living on their boat's by themselves? I'm considering this and would like your thoughts on how safe marinas are.
freya34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 19:36   #2

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts
When I moved into my marina there was a lady living on a cruise a home. She sold it about 6 months ago and now lives in an apartment. Last time I saw her she said she was already considering purchasing a Pearson Ariel because she missed being on the water.
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 19:41   #3
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
we have a solo lady who lives aboard on our dock. She works a fishing boat for a few weeks at a time during the season and then is back at the marina on her older fixer upper. If I were her I would feel very safe in our marina. I think she is very comfortable.

There is a woman on another dock in our marina who also lives aboard, but I don't know her and couldn't say anything about her experience, but she has been her for all the time we have, so over a year.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 19:43   #4

Are there very many fulltime residents in your marina?
Old 11-04-2010, 19:54   #5
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
I've berthed in 5 different marinas in the SF bay area, and have never been in one where there wasn't a woman living aboard alone.
Old 11-04-2010, 19:54   #6
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
oh yes.

Our dock, which is the smallest in the marina has maybe 20 slips on it and nine of them are full or part time liveaboards.

Other docks prolly have a lower ratio, but there are alotta liveaboards on the other docks.

All told there are just over 200 slips at our marina. The official count for live aboards is ten percent but I bet it's more like 30%...

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 19:57   #7

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
No need to !! there is nothin to it, buy a boat that you are comfortable sailing/motoring, sell all your stuff that you wont need on the boat, start sleeping on your boat at night.. you are a live aboard

I live aboard a 30 footer, I think I am the only single woman liveaboard in my marina. There is another girl that lives on her 32 footer over at the Wharf...well what I am trying to say is we woman singlehanders are a bit few and far between, but we are out there. So no to yes togo for it, it is not hard.

I only felt a bit unsafe at my last marina. I feel pretty safe at my present marina. BTW boats are safer than houses or apartments because you can truly lock them down. If someone comes aboard I'd know it right away, they can't surprise me, and it would take a while to break into the boat because she is made to handle breaking waves, small ports, thick companionway doors. I never felt safe in my apartment and my houses, felt like a sitting duck frankly.

I was just chuckling at myself because I seem to always have a silly grin on my face when I look at my boat, she is just so..damn perfect for me. I fall asleep with that silly grin and I wake up with that same silly grin. . I hope you find your boat that makes you have the same silly grin.

Feel free to pm me if you need anything or have any questions.

Cheers,
Erika
Old 11-04-2010, 20:03   #8

Thanks I was considering moving onboard full time along the texas coast.

OH! by the way. Only Mermaids ride side saddle because they have too!
Old 11-04-2010, 20:10   #9

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Clear lake is a great place to live aboard. My favorite mermaid picture below . If you are in town come have a tea aboard OG.
Cheers,
Erika

Old 11-04-2010, 20:15   #10

Great mermaid pic! Tea sounds great. Thanks Deb
Old 12-04-2010, 08:40   #11

Boat: Currently boatless
My husband is gone regularly for work, sometimes for long periods, so during those times I live on the boat by myself. I would think your risk would depend on the same things as land "neighborhood and common sense prevention". We are in a safe enough "neighborhood" and I stay aware of my surroundings.
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 09:08   #12

Thanks Livia, My boyfriend also works away for long periods and will only be there occasionally. I've been living in the country for a long time and not used to living close to other people.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:21   #13

Boat: 28ft Newport...Trouble Maker
I am currently packing all my things from my landhouse and will be living on my 28ft sailboat. My husband found another woman and we are in the middle of a divorce.

I am sooo excited to live on my boat full time!!! I have no hot water there and not much room for my things, but I am soooooo ready! I feel more safe at our marina then out in the real world. The locked gates are so nice!

If anyone has any advice on how to make things easier, please let me know. I am a musician of 30 years so I am having to figure out what to do with my equipment when I'm not working.

I'm in Oregon.....and really want to find a sailing friend, male or female, I do have alot more to learn...(like the desiel engine) and want to do some up grades, etc.

SO...any sailers on the Columbia River who want to chat? I'm so ready for this move, didn't exspect to have to make this move in 3 weeks and hoping I've got everything organized...LOL Right!
Lesmusic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:27   #14
Eternal Member

This is almost a non-issue, depending on WHERE you're talking about. Here in the D.C. area, there are LOTS of single females living aboard. And, there have been for many years. My next door neighbor at dockside when I moved aboard in 1983 was a VERY attractive young single blond lady. She's still living aboard, and has been cruising with her husband for many years now.

Single females and boats? YES. Don't even think about it.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2010, 06:32   #15

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
In the Caribbean there are many lady "singlehanders" living on boats. At the major stopping places for cruisers there is usually a considerable "community" of sailor/cruisers so there is never a shortage of activities and social occasions open to all couples and singles.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote