Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-12-2011, 07:46   #31
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Woman Living on a Boat ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EelKat View Post
I feel in love with this amazing old 40' yacht years ago, tried to buy it, deal went through.

..and that 40' yacht I wanted years ago... still for sale ... she's grounded, been grounded over 20 years - she was in much better shape when I tried to buy her years ago - now she needs A LOT of work to get her sea worthy again, no one wants to spend the time.
I hate it when that happens

Given the description of your locale - the boat won't have improved with age Freeze and Thaw won't have been kind........unless looking for a houseboat ashore (nothing wrong with that - if bought at the right price, and not intending to throw money at to make seaworthy - beyond maybe around the bay on a nice day), then I would give it a miss - at least until you know what you are looking at rather than relying on someone else (sounds like everyone else has decided against - usually a bit of a hint in that).

Quote:
I'm a woman alone, is this whole living on a boat thing even possible?
If you are able bodied then no reason why not, even 40'. It's not as if men have special powers - well, not all the time .

In regard to the practicalities in your region, probably the best person to answer that is you - via the old fashioned method of boots on the ground, aided by a bit of Googling. If you can find somewhere to haul out ashore (ideally with shore power - given the temperatures mention!) for the entire winter then that might be an answer.....just have to find somewhere within budget and would allow a liveaboard - but sounds like a location where boatyards would not fear creating a trailor park so much, as elsewhere.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2011, 08:15   #32

Boat: 33ft sloop

An old boat can slobber a big amount of cash. Boats might be cheap but spares are definitely not. Mast, sails rigging, paints, electrics - it takes not only time but might gobble your income. DOJ might be quite right in this respect.
Buy something that can move with a serviceable engine and clear rigging/sails.
Cosmetics in this case not so important, and loads of boats anywhere.
I would take the time to look around. In case of doubt, don't move.
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2011, 13:32   #33

Eelkat........... You may want to visit Yachtworld.com and click on what price range of used sail or power boat you might want. I've seen some pretty nice boats there, 30' to 50' needing only little work, in some cases, for sale for little money. I would recommend a fiberglass boat. Most, if not all marinas today require you to have a liability policy and old wood boats are usually more difficult to insure. Good luck in your quest.....
2nd Dog Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2011, 14:41   #34

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Here is a lady and her boat - a good little tour of what living aboard involves
Life Aboard Cruising Sailboat - YouTube
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2011, 15:12   #35

Another one - one woman, one boat and happy

Liveaboard life: minimalism in a tiny home at sea - YouTube
Old 27-04-2012, 15:20   #36

Boat: Hunter, Legend 37.5

My wife and I liveaboard on Hayden Is, and there are several lone women here. One lady writer here has lived alone on a sailboat under 30' for about 20 years. You are probably your only limitation of your abilities to live happily alone on your boat. Just use good judgement on where you are moored.

Gary
Dreamchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2012, 20:44   #37

Boat: Deja Vu - Catalina 36 MK I

I also wouldn't dismiss the general camaraderie of your liveaboard neighbors. I got a call from the marina last year that my jib had unfurled and was trying to sail my boat over the dock. I flew to the marina to find that two liveaboards on my dock (who I had never met) had safely secured the sail for me. Cases of Corona were promptly delivered and I had some new friends. Once you make friends on your new dock, they will watch out for you. It's sort of a protectionist "guy thing".

Mike
MikeinLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2012, 12:36   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeinLA View Post
. . . Once you make friends on your new dock, they will watch out for you. It's sort of a protectionist "guy thing".
Mike
Change that to "cruiser thing." Makes no difference what the gender of the cruiser/live aboard. Whether you are live aboard in a marina or anchored in a bay/cove/harbor - cruisers take care of each other without being asked or with any expectations. Kind of, a floating little neighborhood. . .
Old 28-04-2012, 12:42   #39
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

isnt as difficult as it seems. just go for it-my formosa is better and better every place i sail..wasnt perfect when i left, by a long shot. does nt take a lot of brawn , unless you anchor in a roadstead anchorage with 3 ft seas and 25+kts wind and row a walker bay dink-----(they dont row well in over 17 kts---too light) -- or a rowed inflatable in a brisk wind(+20 kts)...there is always a helper--just make sure he is a good one not a lackadaisical one with no work ethic and 10 qts beer before lunch time.
the better ye look, the more help you will find---and yes--cruisers and liveaboards DO help each other much
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2012, 13:26   #40

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

When my wife and I lived aboard in San Diego, there was a delightful single lady about 6 slips down living alone aboard an older Chris Craft woodie about 50-55 feet long. Single engine and she took her home out regularly every week, entertained aboard and was one of the best boat handlers I've seen. She could handle the boat on her own and frankly, preferred it. All of us kinda watched over her so if she needed some help with a particularly difficult chore, we all pitched in and helped out and made a party out of it.
Sinlge women seem to handle living aboard for long periods better than guys IMO because they tend to keep their boats in better nick, cleaner and well maintained.
There were several single guys living aboard in the same marina whose boats were constantly in disrepair, dirty and didn't appear all that seaworthy. A couple of them were asked to leave during the 10 or so years we lived aboard. Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2012, 14:22   #41

Boat: Catalina 30

There is a woman over in the Delta who is single and draws comics. Look through her website in the archives. As someone else mentioned on a different site, guys be sure to keep smilin'.
Old 29-04-2012, 10:37   #42
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

sheesh--i am single and on a 40 ft sailing ketch..now in mexico..isnt all that hard to live aboard....done it since 1990, sola.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 23:50   #43
o_q

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post

She's been sailing with her partner in their own boats, though now she has sold her boat, so I believe they live on his boat now.
o_q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 04:08   #44
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeinLA View Post
I also wouldn't dismiss the general camaraderie of your liveaboard neighbors. I got a call from the marina last year that my jib had unfurled and was trying to sail my boat over the dock. I flew to the marina to find that two liveaboards on my dock (who I had never met) had safely secured the sail for me. Cases of Corona were promptly delivered and I had some new friends. Once you make friends on your new dock, they will watch out for you. It's sort of a protectionist "guy thing".

Mike

Not just a "guy" thing. I would have done the same thing and since I have a "self-deploying jib myself, I know how to do it.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 04:09   #45
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post

ME -- one woman, one boat, and very happy!
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote